The Exercise Motivation Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother said 170 heart rate was too high. He said, were you out of breath? I said, No I wasn't even breathing hard, just walking slow. :eek2:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s been in the upper 80’s for three days and I hate it. I have been getting up early and going for my walk but it is still too hot and sticky. I mowed the lawn (1 hour) this morning and washed my car and that was my exercise for the day.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I have been getting up early and going for my walk but it is still too hot and sticky.
It's getting very muggy here too. Monsoon is coming.
:frown:
I love my new bootcut jeans, but they are so hot.
I don't really like jeans for exercising in. They are too hot, take ages to dry out if they get wet and don't keep you warm in cold weather either.

I like long baggy cotton pants in the summer. They're much more comfortable, but mean that your legs are covered and safe from mosquitoes and other bugs. How about some flared yoga style pants? They look great on tall people, plus they're cooler and more flexible than jeans.

I did 90 minutes of yoga yesterday. I've been practicing Compass Pose, which is a nice hip opener.

1591413675886.png

After that I did about an hour of yard work. Cut off some dead branches, finished making a bird house and fixed the roof of one of the cat kennels. They like to jump on the roof and claw it and had managed to scratch nearly all the way through!

:thud:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I mowed the lawn (1 hour) this morning and washed my car and that was my exercise for the day.
I mowed my lawn yesterday too. And should have washed the car, but didn't.

Yes, I was walking up the driveway incline and yes it has been very hot! I love my new bootcut jeans, but they are so hot.
The incline and the heat was probably the reason for your increased heart-rate. But, you know, keep an eye on it, and how you're feeling, and maybe mention it to your doctor next time you see her.

Maybe you need a pair or two of Capri length jeans. I wear them all summer and they are really comfortable.
Even though they're only a few inches shorter than jeans, they do make a ton of difference when it's hot.

I think they would look funny on me. I'm really tall, 5'9 and 3 quarters, almost 5'10
I think they look better on a taller person than a shorter one but try a pair in if you get the opportunity.
I tend to agree. There's nothing worse than a shorter person wearing capris that are down to their ankles.

M maggiedemi : try different styles and lengths. I bet you'll find a pair that works for you. And even if you think they look "funny", they'd still work for when you're out walking. But there would be the chance of getting sunburned. So ...

I like long baggy cotton pants in the summer. They're much more comfortable, but mean that your legs are covered and safe from mosquitoes and other bugs.
That sounds like something that would work.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really like jeans for exercising in.
I just wear one outfit per day. It's hard because my mom won't let me use the washing machine. So I can't really have anything extra like workout clothes, bathrobes, aprons. I would like to have all that stuff, but it would never get washed.

How about some flared yoga style pants?
That sounds cool, I will have to Google it. I was looking for some long cargo pants & corduroys, but couldn't find any. Maybe those are only sold in winter? All I saw were dress pants. I kinda liked the Chinos, but they were a bit dressy for me.

But, you know, keep an eye on it, and how you're feeling, and maybe mention it to your doctor next time you see her.
My breathing is really quiet compared to when I first came home from the hospital. It was really loud and like gasping for each breath.

But there would be the chance of getting sunburned.
Not once I get my Parasol! :thumbsup:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just wear one outfit per day. It's hard because my mom won't let me use the washing machine. So I can't really have anything extra like workout clothes, bathrobes, aprons. I would like to have all that stuff, but it would never get washed.
A thinner pant, like cotton, you could maybe just hand wash and hang to dry. Jeans would definitely be too bulky for hand washing though.

My breathing is really quiet compared to when I first came home from the hospital. It was really loud and like gasping for each breath.
Sounds like you're getting healthier and more fit.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A thinner pant, like cotton, you could maybe just hand wash and hang to dry.
Yeah, I don't see that happening. That's why they invented the washing machine! :lol: I just need to get away from crazy lady. :crossfingers:

A little over 8,000 steps again yesterday, listening to Bob Dylan, heart rate was in the 130s. It rained on me, but I had my umbrella already for the sun, so I stayed out. Haven't gotten my parasol yet, but it's on the way.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
8,000 plus steps again today on my 2 hour walk. I forgot to look at my heart rate. It was so hot, I nearly roasted! I need some shorts. I had a tank top on, so my top was cool, but my sweats were hot. I got 2 new pair of jeans today, so maybe those will be better.
I listened to a George Jones playlist that my dad made for me. Dad is the best playlist maker on the planet. :thumbsup:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
The monsoon has started, so I'll probably have some very wet walks over the next few weeks. After that the really hot weather starts.

:sweat:

I've been doing some longer yoga sessions this week. 90 minutes on Sunday and Tuesday, 2 hours on Monday and Wednesday. Had a nice long walk on Tuesday too.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been doing some longer yoga sessions this week.
I should try yoga one of these days. It amazes me that I can be underweight & my face is so thin, yet I still have cottage cheese butt & thighs! Makes no sense.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The monsoon has started, so I'll probably have some very wet walks over the next few weeks. After that the really hot weather starts.
You're gonna need that umbrella now for real. Course if it's windy, you'll end up like Mary Poppins.:lol:

I should try yoga one of these days. It amazes me that I can be underweight & my face is so thin, yet I still have cottage cheese butt & thighs! Makes no sense.
I think it's impossible to have the perfect body, unless you resort to plastic surgery, which doesn't even really work. Anyone remember The Swan tv show? :(

still treadmilling and a little bit of weights - I'm caring for a trigger-finger issue, so I have to be careful. It's healing :thumbsup:
Hope you finger feels better soon. :hugs:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yeah, you should. Yoga is great for improving your circulation and helps your lymphatic system drain. This boosts your immunity, as well as helping your body expel toxins. Yoga is good for muscle strength, bone health, flexibility and posture

but

the real gift is that it helps you to steady your breathing and calm your mind. Then you don't have to deal with that constant internal babble telling you you're too fat or too thin or your skin isn't good enough or your hair doesn't look like the hair in shampoo commercials or any of the other constant niggling little criticisms that we like to torment ourselves with. Once that internal voice is turned down you can treat yourself with the love and compassion you deserve. And if you're loving and compassionate towards yourself you can be loving and compassionate to every other being you meet. And this makes the world a better place.

:hugs:

Here are a few videos from a couple of my favourite teachers, but there are plenty more out there. Find a teacher you like and practice every day, even if it's only for ten minutes.

You're gonna need that umbrella now for real. Course if it's windy, you'll end up like Mary Poppins.:lol:
:lol: Mary Poppins season is at the end of the summer, when the typhoons come. I really would take off if I went out with an umbrella then.

45 minutes yoga yesterday. I've just done 30 minutes of deep stretch poses, and I'm going out for my walk now. The sun is out at the moment. Should I risk a walk without an umbrella? Maybe that's just asking for a soaking.

☀🌤⛅🌥☁🌦🌧⛈🌧🌦☁🌥⛅🌤☀

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yoga is good for muscle strength, bone health
Thanks. Maybe it will help my leg. Only a few more weeks until I see the doctor. If it's not healed by then, it's in her hands.

Yesterday was so weird! I had to keep putting my umbrella away because the wind tried to blow me away. But then the sun would come back out and try to burn me. So I would go back and get my umbrella. Then the wind would try to blow me away again! It couldn't make up it's mind! Finally I gave up and just let the sun & wind hit me when they wanted to. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.