The Exercise Motivation Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sure playing the drums is really good exercise. One of my ex boyfriends played drums in a heavy metal band and he had huge forearms.

My husband is in a taiko group, you know those giant Japanese drums? It looks like a really good work out, 2 hours must burn loads of calories..
Oh yeah those Taiko drums look like a full body work out!

Here's a fun video of the US Army Drum Corps taking on the Korean Army Traditional Drummers--definitely says a lot about the two cultures I think!

I think I am definitely going to be sore tomorrow. I just hope I don't run into any carpal tunnel/tennis elbow type problems.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
lol, just for fun and not to turn this thread into anything else, but these guys seem to get quite a workout - except maybe for the one off to the far right that you see now and then...

I've been getting a fair bit of walking and stairs, and other targeted leg work and some weights.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cycling for me today. Out for about 3 hours total with 2 hrs 30 cycling time (26 miles).

Saw well over 30 other people out, ranging from a chap on a recumbent bike, to family groups of 4-6 people and then the proper speedies in all the club kit....

Attachments

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't understand it. I've been drinking all that almond milk and I stopped doing the hour of stretching exercises, to try to gain 5 pounds, but I actually lost weight. 120.8 pounds when I weighed myself this morning. I guess almond milk isn't enough, I'll have to either start eating breakfast or eat more meat substitutes.

I'm still doing the 2 hour walk everyday.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's probably not all that many calories in almond milk. Do you like dairy ice cream?
Huh. I always figured nuts were fattening because my oldest brother refuses to eat nuts & nut butters for that reason. No, I don't like dessert, it's too sweet. Maybe I can start eating a veggie burger at lunch everyday, with cheese on it.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I did an hour of yoga on Sunday, then made a quick dash to the supermarket for another two week's supply of groceries. Lugging heavy boxes counts as exercise, right?

Monday I did 45 minutes yoga then went for a one hour walk in the rain. My first walk for a week! It felt great to be outside again.

Today I got up early so was able to do an hour of yoga and a 90 minute walk before work.

M maggiedemi I think as you are very tall and very active you're going to have to increase your calorie intake a lot to put on any weight. Do you like foods like bread, pasta, potatoes, starchy things like that? I try to eat more of those things in the winter, as I burn a lot of energy just staying warm. Do you have a nutritionist? Maybe your doctor could refer you to one so you can work out a more suitable diet plan.

Project Status: Starting to look more like what it's supposed to be.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I always figured nuts were fattening because my oldest brother refuses to eat nuts & nut butters for that reason.
Nuts and nut butters are fattening, however, almond milk is low in calories.

Here's a chart,and you'll see almond milk only has the lowest calories, and the 2nd lowest protein, and no calcium. Check you own carton, in case the amounts are different, but I suspect calories, for sure, will be still low.

1587471659832.png

I haven't been for a walk in almost a week. Hopefully today.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you like foods like bread, pasta, potatoes, starchy things like that?
Yes, I eat pasta a lot. I used to eat sandwiches everyday, but I have been making my pasta casseroles lately and eating my granola, so I haven't had much bread lately.

Do you have a nutritionist?
No. I think my doctor might be one though. Her profile says something about weight management.

Here's a chart,and you'll see almond milk only has the lowest calories
Thanks. I never would have guessed it was so low. :eek2:

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
wow, looking at that chart, I think I'm glad I steer clear of milk substitutes. They are very much lacking in other vitamins and nutrients.
I don't drink a lot of milk, so I tend to buy half n half and dilute it with cold water. I do tend to eat other dairy products like yogurt and cottage cheese, and cheese in general (cheeeeese, Grommet!). I really have to portion my dairy, 'cause I love so much of it.

Got some walking in at the Costco petri dish this morning. The weather is warming up here, so I came home with a little sweat "glow". lol
Will probably work in some 5's later today.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
wow, looking at that chart, I think I'm glad I steer clear of milk substitutes. They are very much lacking in other vitamins and nutrients.
I know some people are hesitant to eat/drink soy products, but I put soymilk on my cereal every day, and feel that it's a healthy choice for me.

No walk again today. I really need to get back on track.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know some people are hesitant to eat/drink soy products, but I put soymilk on my cereal every day, and feel that it's a healthy choice for me.
Yeah, I think I'm going to have to include soy products in my diet. Tofu seems to be the only thing that makes me put on weight. I don't have any right now though. Maybe I can order some.

Just doing my 2 hour walk everyday. It's funny, I'm underweight, but still have flab on my butt and upper legs. What is up with that? Did I lose weight too fast and it's hanging skin? How do I tighten this up?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm underweight, but still have flab on my butt and upper legs. What is up with that? Did I lose weight too fast and it's hanging skin? How do I tighten this up?
That's the hardest part to tighten up. The muscles there are really only used a great deal if you sprint, but doing balance postures will also firm them up.

Have a look at some online yoga balance routines, that would be a good place to start.

I did 45 minutes of yoga and 3 hours of yard work yesterday. It was really cold today and we kept getting little flurries of snow. 45 minutes of yoga, an hour outside until the snow drove me back in, then another 45 minutes of deep stretching.

Project Status: Almost done.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It was my day off today and the sun came out.

:cloud9:

I started off with 45 minutes yoga, then went horse riding. I know, I know, we're supposed to be social distancing, but the stables is only a ten minute drive from my house and it was just Mr Husband, the guide and myself and three ponies in the middle of the forest. We didn't get anywhere near any other people.

Here are a few pictures. 4 new foals were born at the stables this month, I think that's a record year.

2 year old filly dancing around by herself.
Horses103.jpg

Blue roan mum with her bay colt
Horses104.jpg

Bay mare and bay filly.
Horses105.jpg

Yellow dun mare and her dark bay foal. I'm not sure if this one was a boy or a girl. Mum was quite protective and didn't want us to get too close.
Horses106.jpg

Dun mare and dun colt.
Horses107.jpg

Aren't they lovely? It's so nice seeing the baby animals.

I had a 90 minute ride, then another 30 minutes of stretching when I got home again.

Status
Not open for further replies.