The Exercise Motivation Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I really need to get into yoga but I have a bum knee that I fractured during my evil days 30 years ago and then refused to do physical therapy (I thought I knew more than the doctors). It hurts now at almost 65 years old to bend or even do regular exercise like squats. Do you have any YouTube suggestions for Yoga that I could follow? As far as walking I love working out with Leslie Sansone (especially on rainy days like today so I'm not slipping in the mud) I try to meditate but with Mom needing my help all the time it's hard unless it's at 3am. lol

I've been looking for a good bike myself but I don't like the speed bikes. Call me old but I just like the kind that you pedal and not be labled 3 speed or 10 speed ala 1950s or 1960s style. Not sure if they still make them though.

Last edited:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Do you have any YouTube suggestions for Yoga that I could follow?
I’ve been using this one which was recommended by the fitness trainer here in our retirement community. I’m 66 and find these are really helping my lower back pain and are strengthening core muscles.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve been using this one which was recommended by the fitness trainer here in our retirement community. I’m 66 and find these are really helping my lower back pain and are strengthening core muscles.
Oh ok. Ugh do I have to get on my knee like that though? Physically I can't do that without pain shooting me through the roof. And of course I can't take meds because of an issue years ago causing reflux. Maybe yoga isn't for me then because no way can I get on my knees.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh ok. Ugh do I have to get on my knee like that though? Physically I can't do that without pain shooting me through the roof. And of course I can't take meds because of an issue years ago causing reflux. Maybe yoga isn't for me then because no way can I get on my knees.
You don’t have to get on your knees for all of them. There are some that are done on the back. I also have a document she gave me that shows several that don’t involve getting on your knees: hamstring stretch, double knee hug, piriformis stretch, cobra, iron cross, pretzel stretch.

Attachments

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh ok. I'll find some other exercises. Those that you just showed would still send me through the roof in pain. That's my fault though for thinking I knew it all 30 years ago. Thanks for trying though. :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've been doing a fair bit of walking, stairs, and some extra weight lifting and leg work. I'm going to try and get on the treadmill today :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pilates yesterday with girly push ups and walked for an hour today in the concrete jungle (my neighborhood).

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
MoonstoneWolf MoonstoneWolf , before you buy a bike I would try to borrow one or use one at a gym . I injured my knee as a child, going over the handlebars and landing on it, and even though it healed after therapy and I never have pain walking or kneeling on it, bicycling is an entirely different story. It just can be very hard on even old injuries.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
How's everyone doing this week?

I've been mainly exercising at home, not just as a way to avoid people (There aren't any other humans in at least a square mile of my house) but as a way of avoiding the snow. Can't believe we still have snow in April!

One hour of yoga on Saturday, two 45 minute yoga practices on Sunday. Just 40 minutes on Monday, but an hour of yoga and a 90 minute walk on Tuesday.

Just an hour of yoga today. My work schedule is really busy for the next month at least.

:runaround:

Hoping I get time to go for another long hike when the cherry blossom open.

:crossfingers:

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been looking for a good bike myself but I don't like the speed bikes. Call me old but I just like the kind that you pedal and not be labled 3 speed or 10 speed ala 1950s or 1960s style. Not sure if they still make them though.
They do still make those~ You can probably find them if you search "cruiser bikes" haha I am slightly biased against them because they are the style of bike that the city rental bike company uses, so I often encounter couples and groups of people who don't really know how to ride bikes weaving back and forth on them blocking the cycling paths and generally not being aware of their surroundings. But the bike paths along the river in Seoul are generally pretty crowded, for regular city and suburb use I think they're great, very gentle.

I did 16km on the bike paths last night. I wanted to relieve stress but the general public made it pretty stressful. I almost got into a couple of accidents. Pedestrians not looking before crossing the path or wandering onto it, a girl on an electric bike forcing me to emergency brake as she overtook me right as I was about to overtake a slower rider with oncoming traffic (she did not signal her presence either), couples not moving over when I rang my bell to tell them I was coming...etc. etc. etc. This was past 10pm, too. UGHHH but anyway, I still improved my time because the wind was with me going out (coming back was a bit difficult though!)

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Got it a pretty good run/walk on Monday, then did some 5's & pilates yesterday.
This is coming off of several days rest because of a tweaked muscle in my back... it literally took 4 days to let up, ugh!
Anyway, so this morning my legs were a little stiff, but I still might get a walk in a little later.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pilates yesterday and an hour walk today. It's going to be storming the rest of the week. But I hope we catch a break for just one more walk. Still working on trying to do a push up lol.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The rain let up yesterday, so I headed out for a walk. Only got in 20 minutes, as I had to keep dodging other people on the sidewalk. Still forecasting rain today and tomorrow, but will still try to get in a walk if I can.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep trying to take my walk outside, but the wind is too strong, it nearly threw me in the ditch. I'll try again this weekend. I thought April would be warmer than this! Of course I was never outdoorsy before, so I don't know which months are warm or cold yet. November through March were too cold!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just came back from a short walk and the wind was brutal here too. Walking in one direction it took all my energy to push into it, and if it had suddenly ceased, I probably would have ended up flat on my face on the sidewalk.

Status
Not open for further replies.