The Exercise Motivation Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Husband and I went for an afternoon walk yesterday instead of our evening walk. Shorter than normal because it was sprinkling a bit.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I am still doing okay, not great with my rowing machine. I was picking up time and speed and then found it was causing pain in the shoulder I had surgery on in the past. So I have cut back speed and time to give my shoulder time to adjust. Today was the first day I got through the workout without a twinge so I am hopeful if I don’t push it too fast it’s going to work for me.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just my 2 hour walk indoors 3pm to 5pm, and I switched my 1 hour stretching exercises to the morning from 7:30am to 8:30am. My leg is coming along good, feels better every day.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Got my health check results yesterday. I've gained nearly 5kg this year thanks to no football/no scheduled fitness (and eating take-out, although I try to eat healthy takeout options, I think in most cases the portions are bigger than I need but not big enough for 2 servings.) My pants still fit, but I've definitely noticed more stomach fat than I've ever really had. blegh. Trying not to feel bad about it.

Thinking about getting a yoga mat and a 10k kettlebell for the office. We have this open nook behind my desk and both me and my office manager were talking about wanting to at least do stretches during the work day. A few reps of squats and swings would be good.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I've gained nearly 5kg this year
I've managed to lose 2 kilos. No idea how, unless the extra hours of teaching burns of a lot more calories than I thought. I'm trying to put it back on, because I think I'll need the extra insulation through winter.

:cold:

It's really cold here now, below zero all the time. 2 hours cleaning and an hour of yoga on Monday. 90 minutes of very calm and gentle yoga on Tuesday morning, followed by a 90 minute walk and about 30 minutes stretching. One hour of yoga and a 90 minute walk on Wednesday.

I've just done a 40 minute Vinyassa flow, so I'll head out for another walk soon.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's really cold here now, below zero all the time.
That's the Celsius zero, not Fahrenheit, right. We're having roller coaster temps - below zero (Celsius) one day, then way above the next. Christmas and Boxing Day are going to be really warm, and could break new record highs. albeit with rain. But better than a blizzard.

Haven't been for any walks all week. Might try to get in a short one today. :walk:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's the Celsius zero, not Fahrenheit, right
Yep, that's Celsius. The only one my brain can think in. It goes from 0 to 100, water freezes at 0 and boils at 100. I have no idea what temperatures in Fahrenheit mean.

:lol:

Friday was supposed to be my day off, but ended up in being very busy, rushing around, running errands and doing chores. I only had time for an hour of yoga. Today I walked for 90 minutes and did 30 minutes of stretching.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep, that's Celsius. The only one my brain can think in. It goes from 0 to 100, water freezes at 0 and boils at 100. I have no idea what temperatures in Fahrenheit mean.
Canada switched to the Metric system decades ago, I think to help simplify trade. But the US didn't change, and with so many products imported from there, we've never totally given up on the imperial system. I can mostly understand temps in both systems, and sort of distance. But still use cups and teaspoons, etc. for cooking/baking. And have no clue when it comes to weights, and need everything translated to lbs. :crazy:

Currently contemplating going for a walk. It's warm out, but forecast to rain soon, so not sure if I want to take the chance of getting caught in a downpour or not. ☔

EDIT TO ADD: Went for my walk. Not quite 30 minutes. Didn't rain on me, but nearly blew away.

1608991809994.png

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Warm?! I thought you lived in Canada. :headscratch: It's 27 degrees here, definitely not going back outside until the spring when it's at least 60.
LOL. Yes, we here in the Great White North, even had a Green Christmas. At least in my part of the country. And though it's much cooler now, it was an almost balmy 11C / 52F when I went for my walk.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Meanwhile in the south my inlaws had a while Christmas! It was warm here too. :dunno:
Canada switched to the Metric system decades ago, I think to help simplify trade. But the US didn't change, and with so many products imported from there, we've never totally given up on the imperial system. I can mostly understand temps in both systems, and sort of distance. But still use cups and teaspoons, etc. for cooking/baking. And have no clue when it comes to weights, and need everything translated to lbs. :crazy:
You should see me trying to teach DD! On one hand I'm glad here in the states we are teaching both from an earlier age. But on the other... :crazy::runaround::doh::dunno::seesaw:. :lol:

I am looking forward to getting back to a routine now that Christmas itself is done. I've been on my feet a lot and having more aches and pains; probably because of that and not working out. I've noticed in the last year that my right hip is less flexible and even difficult to uncomfortable to sit "Indian style" (what do they call that now?? Thats what we called it as kids.). I know when I was seeing a physical therapist for my feet he told me that all the muscles from your back down affect the feet. And collapsing arches can really be the root of a lot of issues. I'm suspecting it's muscular because I can feel them pull. He had me working on a lot of exercises. Actually since then, until now, I've had very little back pain. I'm going to try to use some of the exercises he gave me then to re-strengthen those areas. I think that will help. I'm tempted to look up hip exercises too. I had zero foot pain through all the Christmas stuff though. :thumbsup:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You should see me trying to teach DD! On one hand I'm glad here in the states we are teaching both from an earlier age. But on the other... :crazy::runaround::doh::dunno::seesaw:. :lol:
It's probably good to know both. And metric makes more sense in a lot of ways, such as 250 ml in a cup, so 1000 ml in a litre. But again, don't think my brain could ever get used to weighing myself in kgs rather than lbs. Then in the UK (I think) they weight in stones, which I don't understand at all. :ohwell:

Back on topic, not sure if I'll get out for a walk today, as our balmy December came to an end, and it's more seasonal temps today. :sigh:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I grew up in the UK, so I have an idea of how much an inch and a foot is, or a centimeter or meter, but somehow I can't get my head around Fahrenheit. And yes, people are weighed in stones. I have been asked how big these stones are, but I have no idea.

:dunno:

I've have a pretty busy week, rushing around trying to get everything done before the shops/vets/clinics all close for the end of the year. 45 minutes of yoga on Monday and a 90 minute walk today though.

I wonder if you can see this Facebook link. Short video posted by the stables I ride at of a Samurai pony work out.

長巻を振り回しながら迫ってくる騎馬武者!

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
but somehow I can't get my head around Fahrenheit.
A rough conversion is to double the Celsius number, then add 30.

So 0C = 30F which is almost the 32F which is the freezing point.
Or 25C = 80F

Or in reverse subtract 30 from the F, then divide by 2

So 60F = 15C

I wonder if you can see this Facebook link. Short video posted by the stables I ride at of a Samurai pony work out.

長巻を振り回しながら迫ってくる騎馬武者!
Yes, can see it. Is that a sword? :eek2:

Status
Not open for further replies.