The Exercise Motivation Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
I've been in a funk or today would have been a nice day for a hike. Laurel and I love rainwalks and Willow is surprisingly tolerant of liquid sunshine, but it's my rescue dog with PTSD, Chocolate, who is having difficulty with seasons.

I did get about an hour walk in yesterday with all three kids and if I can get my butt off this couch long enough to run to the store and buy a few tortillas (so I can eat without having to stop walking) we might be able to get out to the forest tomorrow. I'd like that because it's one of the days my old man will be there.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not having any trouble getting the hourly goals. That's easy just doing housework. I was doing laundry the last few days and my house isn't big. :lol: I just need to get on the elliptical and get out of the house. It's been a weird week. At least I slept better last night; according to the Fitbit I got 7 hours and 23 minutes. :lol: I do like tracking my water.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Don’t you hate it when your Fitbit gets all judge-y and disapproving?
I used to have something on my phone that was supposed to count my steps, but I had to turn it off because we got into too many arguments.

:lol:

I don't bother counting my steps, I just keep track of how many hours a day I'm active.

90 minutes walk and 30 minutes power yoga yesterday.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gym plans fell through because of tornado watch. Instead I looked up a beginners pilates session on YouTube and did the 20 minute course. It was more challenging than I thought! Maybe I should have done more but I'm a baby and want to start up slow. :3

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd rather start slow and build up than burn out! Slow and steady wins the race right?

DH and I were just talking about heart rate monitoring and resting heart rates. From what I read since I got the Fitbit my resting heart rate is trending toward the active side; so thats encouraging. I'm curious to compare the Fitbit to the sensors on the elliptical. I don't really pay attention to it because I read when I'm on there; but I do grab the sensor bars during my cool down so I'll see the numbers sometimes. My thought all along with exercise has been to keep it simple and just keep moving. Even when I don't feel like working out; some movement is better than none right? So I'm trying not to focus on numbers too much. I feel like that discourages me when I get too involved in numbers or charting everything.

Now lets take bets on how long we go before DH wants a fitbit because he already asked to wear mine tonight to see what his sleep and heart rates are like. I give him 2 weeks tops. :lol:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd rather start slow and build up than burn out! Slow and steady wins the race right?

DH and I were just talking about heart rate monitoring and resting heart rates. From what I read since I got the Fitbit my resting heart rate is trending toward the active side; so thats encouraging. I'm curious to compare the Fitbit to the sensors on the elliptical. I don't really pay attention to it because I read when I'm on there; but I do grab the sensor bars during my cool down so I'll see the numbers sometimes. My thought all along with exercise has been to keep it simple and just keep moving. Even when I don't feel like working out; some movement is better than none right? So I'm trying not to focus on numbers too much. I feel like that discourages me when I get too involved in numbers or charting everything.

Now lets take bets on how long we go before DH wants a fitbit because he already asked to wear mine tonight to see what his sleep and heart rates are like. I give him 2 weeks tops. :lol:
Thanks for the understanding! My energy level is just so low these days. I do want to go slow and steady. You all have made me want a fit bit now...hmm. Just curious about my habits.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I used to have something on my phone that was supposed to count my steps, but I had to turn it off because we got into too many arguments. :lol:
Been there! :lol: I'd come back to work after walking for my lunch break and sometimes my Fitbit would be wonky. I know I walked four miles; my Fitbit (esp when I was using the Blaze) would say 3.5 or 3.75. I'd get back to the office, look at my FitBit and say, "Seriously? You lie!" One of my co-workers would say, "Pam, are you yelling at your Fitbit again?" Or I'd set up my iPod for a walk and see how it compared to the FitBit; the iPod always ran higher. And then I'd yell at them both, "OK, who do I believe? Stop it!" And my co-workers would snort at me. (I got an email from a co-worker yesterday: "Sure is quiet in here!" I guess I can understand. :paperbag:)

Anyway.....
Yesterday (Friday) - 12, 318 steps for the day
Didn't walk this morning

My resting heart rate has been wonky, no doubt because I was eating a ton of crap last year and because I wasn't exercising at all. Oh, I'd walk for a day or two, then quit, then start up again. My resting heart rate went from 48 up to 67 over the course of the last 18 months (I think part of that was changing from the FitBit Blaze to the Charge 3). While 67 is still well within normal, I could feel a difference and I didn't like it. Just since I started walking again last week and really watching what I ate, my resting heart rate went down to 60. I'm hoping that, as I continue with walking and losing the weight, it will drop further. If it gets down into the 50s, I'll be happy. As I get older, my resting heart rate will probably increase to a certain extent.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Gym plans fell through because of tornado watch. Instead I looked up a beginners pilates session on YouTube and did the 20 minute course. It was more challenging than I thought! Maybe I should have done more but I'm a baby and want to start up slow. :3
That reminds me that I have to find a Beginners Yoga video, and seriously try doing it. Course I've been saying this for years. Maybe 2020 is when I'll finally start, and discover I like, yoga.

I love my Fitbit, and being able to watch my heart rate. Though it does seem to think I don't sleep at all at night. :rolleyes:

(I got an email from a co-worker yesterday: "Sure is quiet in here!" I guess I can understand. :paperbag:)
Too quiet I bet. You'll have to visit some time. :)

My resting heart rate has been wonky, no doubt because I was eating a ton of crap last year and because I wasn't exercising at all. Oh, I'd walk for a day or two, then quit, then start up again. My resting heart rate went from 48 up to 67 over the course of the last 18 months
Just checked my resting heart rate. Last week it was in the 57-58 range. This week, I haven't been as active, and it's in the 60's. Didn't realize inactivity would make a difference so quickly.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama Do you have an exercise mat for it? I recommend buying one first if you don't. I didn't have one for the longest time and that was my excuse for not doing any yoga or pilates haha.
Yes, I do. Ruby thinks it's a giant scratching mat. :lol:

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
My resting heart rate has been wonky, no doubt because I was eating a ton of crap last year and because I wasn't exercising at all. Oh, I'd walk for a day or two, then quit, then start up again. My resting heart rate went from 48 up to 67 over the course of the last 18 months...
I love my Fitbit, and being able to watch my heart rate. Though it does seem to think I don't sleep at all at night. :rolleyes:

Just checked my resting heart rate. Last week it was in the 57-58 range. This week, I haven't been as active, and it's in the 60's. Didn't realize inactivity would make a difference so quickly.
My resting HR was down to 57, then it gradually climbed until it hit a high of 72. I didn't really realize it until I noticed I was gaining weight again and checked it. OY!
I'm back down to the low 60's. Still working on getting it down a bit more.

My Fitbit tells me that I essentially lose an hour of sleep due to restlessness. So, now I try to account for that when I figure what time I'm getting up and need to go to bed.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Walked 2 miles this morning.

The FitBit community will tell you that many things can affect resting heart rate: eating before bed, not sleeping well, gaining weight, not exercising, even having a cold or the flu. Hot, humid nights can increase resting heart rate, too.

Mine is down to 59; it took a little over a week to get it back down in the 50s (from a high of 67).

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
We FINALLY got out on the trail yesterday (Community Forest, which is less challenging than Headwaters) way later than I had wanted, after piling everybody into the car and finding out that we had a dead battery.

It was raining lightly when we left the parking lot so I tossed Willow into my shoulder bag while I adjusted backpack, dog leashes, rain geer, etc. and she STAYED there.

When it started bothering my shoulder, I transfered her to the sling under my baja. She was cuddly and purry and thrilled to get out of the house, but had no interest whatsoever in walking or even sitting on my shoulder.

Without the bag to drop Chocolate into, she had to walk on her own four feet. She wasn't happy about it. I kept her coupled to Laurel longer than usual and Laurel was able to win her over to the joys of our winter wonderland.

We had enough time to do a bit of exploring instead of just plodding along the standard loop. It was fantastic to see my little 6 lb ragamuffin tomboy dog back in her element and Choccie, my rescue dog with PTSD, actually wanted cuddles this morning.

I wish we could have gotten out again today.

Status
Not open for further replies.