The Exercise Motivation Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Putting the ankle brace, jacket hoodie, gloves and hat on and going out for a walk - 34 degrees with slight misting. Will check out another gym this afternoon but feeling like there are no safe options right now with those.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I got 45 minutes in at the tennis court practice board. Although all the loval recreation center buildingd closed as of today, the court is not off limits.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have not been able to keep up with my routines at all. :paperbag: It seems like there is a lot of extra work to do right now. But today I got a good walk in on a new trail. The sun peeked out only a few times; but the temperatures were great and in some ways it's nicer to look around without glare. I did bring a hat but I was looking up in the trees for birds and buds. :hearthrob::bouquet:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I went on a great hike on Friday. We climbed to the top of Dragon Peak (Ryugatake) I checked it online before we went and saw pictures of a gentle slope covered in bamboo. It said a 2 and 1/2 hour walk from the lake to the peak. "That looks easy enough." I thought, and the last 30 minutes were quite gentle. The first two hours were murder though.

We parked near the lake, about 15 minutes walk from the start of the trail.
Hike1_R.jpg

Going up.
Hike2_R.jpg

Motosuko looking very blue.
Hike4_R.jpg

Bamboo fields near the top.
Hike16_R.jpg

View towards Mount Fuji.
Hike8_R.jpg

Yatsugatake in the distance.
Hike10_R.jpg

The Southern Alps.
Hike15_R.jpg

Temple Guardians at the top.
Hike18_R.jpg

I really like this one. :lol:
Hike19_R.jpg

Heading back down the other side. That's Lake Sai in the distance.
Hike27_R.jpg

So, 2 and 1/2 hours up, 1 and 1/2 hours down, 30 minutes to and from the car park and then 30 minutes of yoga when I got home. Five hours of exercise!

:noway:

Saturday I did an hour of yoga and 30 minutes shoveling snow. (What's going on weather!?)
Sunday was an hour walk and an hour of yoga.
Monday 45 minutes yoga.
Tuesday 90 minutes of yoga.

Not bad so far this week, I hope we get some more sunny days soon.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I went on a great hike on Friday. We climbed to the top of Dragon Peak (Ryugatake) I checked it online before we went and saw pictures of a gentle slope covered in bamboo. It said a 2 and 1/2 hour walk from the lake to the peak. "That looks easy enough." I thought, and the last 30 minutes were quite gentle. The first two hours were murder though.

We parked near the lake, about 15 minutes walk from the start of the trail.
View attachment 326704
Going up.
View attachment 326705
Motosuko looking very blue.
View attachment 326706
Bamboo fields near the top.
View attachment 326707
View towards Mount Fuji.
View attachment 326708
Yatsugatake in the distance.
View attachment 326709
The Southern Alps.
View attachment 326710
Temple Guardians at the top.
View attachment 326711
View attachment 326712
Heading back down the other side. That's Lake Sai in the distance.
View attachment 326713

So, 2 and 1/2 hours up, 1 and 1/2 hours down, 30 minutes to and from the car park and then 30 minutes of yoga when I got home. Five hours of exercise!

:noway:

Saturday I did an hour of yoga and 30 minutes shoveling snow. (What's going on weather!?)
Sunday was an hour walk and an hour of yoga.
Monday 45 minutes yoga.
Tuesday 90 minutes of yoga.

Not bad so far this week, I hope we get some more sunny days soon.
I love hiking. Wish I was in a position that I could go hiking but can't leave Mom because of her health issues. The best I can do is "hike" my 1/4 acre back yard over and over again. When I was a kid all 3 of us would go hiking almost every weekend, no matter the weather. Family dog would come with us. Now I hike with 4 or 5 cats following me and getting under foot. lol

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're really flexible! I doubt I could bend over backwards like that.

2 and 1/2 hours up, 1 and 1/2 hours down, 30 minutes to and from the car park and then 30 minutes of yoga when I got home. Five hours of exercise!
That sounds like me when I go shopping at Walmart for 6 hours. :lol: Back when they actually had stuff on the shelves.

I love hiking. Wish I was in a position that I could go hiking but can't leave Mom because of her health issues.
I would love to go hiking, but I'm terrified of wild animals. Especially after somebody told me that there are actually poisonous snakes in the mountains of NY. :fear:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Wear high boots when walking. Use a walking stick and bang on ground while walking. If you do see a snake stand still in your tracks. Many times when in the country as a kid at my grandparents I stopped while a rattlesnake crossed the road less then an inch from my foot. These are tips my grandfather taught me. Thankfully in my backyard only wildlife I have are red foxes, groundhogs, raccoons, possums and 8 hungry feral cats (the last being most vicious if no food lol). But these are suburban animals and so used to humans you can walk right past them and they pay you no attention.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I will be out for another walk, a little longer, this morning. So far my bad foot, which is misshapen from arthritis and prone to painfully locking up has been doing great. It might be luck, it might be the shoes I have been wearing, don’t know. But I will enjoy the fresh air and walking as long as I can. I was looking at yoga videos on You Tube last night to see if I can find something for my arms. Might give a video a try this afternoon.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
You're really flexible! I doubt I could bend over backwards like that.
It takes a bit of practice, but it feels great when you can do it. It's a real energizing pose, feels like having a shot of espresso.
Wear high boots when walking.
:yeah: Proper boots are a must. They protect you against insects and snakes, but they also give your feet and ankles a bit of extra support. Very important if you're hiking on rough ground. Good boots will save you from twisting an ankle.

30 minutes yoga and a 90 minute walk this afternoon.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Well, they’ve closed our fitness center so no weight machines and treadmill for me for awhile. Instead, we got out at 7:30 a.m. and walked about 3.5 miles. It was in the low 40s (F) and partly cloudy, but seeing all of the daffodils, forsythia, redbud, and other blooming things of spring is a real spirit booster. We’ll be walking every morning now until the virus runs its course.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
No workout today... or until the Gov says fitness centers and gyms are no longer on the "non essential" list. Made my trainer and I sad pandas.

I will have to make do with other activities... though I'm afraid of what this will do to the muscle that we've so carefully built and nurtured over the last couple years. Building muscle gets more difficult as you age. Maintaining it without proper equipment is going to be a real challenge. Hopefully this lockdown won't last more than a month.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
though I'm afraid of what this will do to the muscle that we've so carefully built and nurtured over the last couple years. Building muscle gets more difficult as you age. Maintaining it without proper equipment is going to be a real challenge.
:yeah: I’m really going to miss those weight machines. I’ve been using them only three months, but just last week I was beginning to see a difference and was moving the weight up. I may have to buy some free weights and try to replicate what I was doing on the machines.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did 16(ish) kilometers on my bike last night.
Rode from my apartment to the bike paths along the Han River, from Seongsang Bridge to Hyochang Park. Seoul is really beautiful at night, so I love heading out around 10pm. Even then, there are still loads of people strolling around. It was warm yesterday, maybe upper 50s lower 60s, perfect temperature! I don't have a fancy road bike, just a cheap hybrid (road+mountain), so I'm in this weird middle ground of riders. Everyone here is either a newbie on a rental and going like 5km per hour and looking like they might fall over or seasoned pros with all the gear going 20+ kmh and not breaking a sweat. Then there's me, definitely sweating, but going about 18kmh. I like biking so much more than running.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a fancy road bike, just a cheap hybrid
How much do bicycles cost these days? I should get one...

It's supposed to be like 60 degrees tomorrow. I got all excited that I could take my walk outside. But then I read the other part-
100% chance of rain. :bawling:

Status
Not open for further replies.