The Exercise Motivation Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm done for a while anyway, although I'll take it day by day and see how things go. I think I broke my little toe. Trying to get past the dog gate in hallway and I was carrying a box. Got my stockinged foot caught on that blasted rail on the floor. If the toe isn't broken, it's stubbed badly. It wasn't bruised in the beginning, but now it's black and swollen, despite icing yesterday. There's no way I can walk 3 miles at a time....I have boots on to come to work and it's hurting as it is.

Don't really want to go to the doctor because he'll just send me for x-rays, say, "Yup, it's broken!" and tape the broken toe to the next toe. I can do that. 

I'll keep checking it out, but for now I can't walk on it.
Ouch, that kind of misfortune really sucks. For the compassion I did attempt to close a door that was resisting a bit, without much of thought I used arm which shoulder has an issue, yep, heard a snap, everything did go black for a moment and had funny sensation like if I would of just jumped from too high to ground despite not falling at all. After that it has been useless shoulder and even turning head hurts in shoulder. We just have to endure it I guess.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
OUCH!!! Damn it! :/ Winchester!! and Jtbo!!

I did a bit last night at gym. I managed to walk back and forth for almost 2 hours in my small work area yesterday to resist sitting on said arse. Then 30 min on exercise bike. about 5 miles. knee was a tad agrivated but it went away this morning. 37 min on elliptical. 2.2 miles. that guy who yacks his head off was there yesterday and I really enjoy talking but sometimes I hate interacton when I am working out-it breaks my concentration..so I just said I got to go..so I did about 3 hours of moderate exercise. no crazy sprints. I had a good time but it's hard talking when I am trying to go as fast as I can..maybe I am just getting cranky. He says he is retiring in April from his job. So maybe he will go back to going to the gym at 4ish like he did for a long time. There's 2 other girls he knows-they weren't there yesterday. it was pretty dead. I planned on messing around with weights. I should have not left..guess I looked at the clock and saw it was 5:30 and wanted to go home. I had enough...

Tonight is pizza night! at least I won't have to worry about a preworkout snack today. I swear eating before I workout gives me more energy than if I wait 2 hours then workout. then I am roaring hungry half an hour into it.

Tonight is gym night and grocery store-need lunch veggies and tv dinners-steaming broccoli n beans with a tv dinner works pretty well. and fills me up! Got my nuts too.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lunchtime jam

I did a few of my own exercises. Did not do jumping too much. only 10 jumping jacks. and see how it feels tomorrow. Seems that pain I had was from spraining. So I have to work on building up the muscles around my knees to support the ligaments. It sucks having a bad knee. I could squat over 150lb easily. Oh well.

did 25 minutes of exercises and 10 min strolling around to cool off. Reading Danielle Steel Precious Gifts as I walk around. I have been on a marathon reading the past 3 days. Finished Power Play and Blue from her And The Apartment. ALL GOOD READS! A book a day is my goal. LOVE to READ and ride the bike/elliptical machine!!

Last edited:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that if I start exercising (slowly at the beginning of course) right after eating, energy from food must go straight to use instead of passing trough of fat stage, indeed there is more energy and I end up burning more calories, feeling better after exercise etc.

Maybe something to do with how often one is used to eat, I can't really maintain frequent eating, that leads so easily to overeating so with less frequent eating that exercise right after eating might be better way.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I have been keeping track of what time I eat=looks like I eat every 2 hours. Today nope. no lunch. Cutting that right out. I have been eating two times during work. I need to cut it out. I have granola at 7 then we have break at 9:30 and normally I am soso hungry but will eat because that's when we are supposed to eat...so if I don't eat then-by 11 I am STARVING. so then we have lunch at 12:30. I don't usually eat then or its a few handfuls of nuts/crackers or veggies with butter steamcooked. Something light. Now it's almost 2:30 and I'm starting to get hungry but I know they have pizza when I get to the gym at 4 so I keep telling myself I can hold off being hungry. Plus pizza has fats in it so it really helps my workouts. I know everyone is different. Usually I can eat at 4ish then I am not hungry until bedtime around 8...this eating every 2 hours needs to STOP. I don't know how people do it. someone told me to buy frozen/fresh veggis and nuke them with butter and a tablespoon of olive oil or water and said that would give me satisfaction. I forgot my greenbeans today. I have been buying them fresh in the grocery and snap the ends off then nuke them with butter/water for 3 minutes-they come out perfect...I HATE boiled veggies except for carrots. If I make a baked meat dish-carrots underneath the beef round-come out AWESOME. This is why I can't watch food channels. I would be hungry...good grief..

Tonight's goal=bike for an hour or elliptical-whatever is open- my white sneakers didn't get too sore last night-need to figure something out. how can I have tons of sneakers and none of them fit/work?!

Weights=get my butt on the leg press sled and try some more chest press and squats.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
todays lunchtime jam. only did 25 minutes and had to substitute moves-too hard for me!!

Called LEG DEATH. and so true!

I did the gym last night but ate too much. I did 16 min on the elliptical while I was waiting for pizza to cool off. I should have stopped at 2. nope. had 2 more. they had a spicy chicken one and I should not have eaten it so back on the elliptical machine for an hour. I didn't do much sprinting-just average speed. Then stretched. then tried that back extension machine again and those two hip abduction ones. then the smith machine to do overhead press, bent over rows and chest press. I didn't realize how late it was..almost 7 and zoomed out to go home. I wasn't exhausted but I should have pressed harder. I didn't fall asleep until 11.

I took my time and just waited 20-30 seconds in between sets. It was dead last night in there. The snow earlier scared everyone out I guess. Saw 4 people I work with. And took some pizza for lunch. only Hawaiian flavor. that one doesn't give me heart burn. it's the pepperoni and the buffalo chicken one-those give me heart burn for some reason, but then again I like my tomato sauce to be sweet not sour. And it kept me full. didn't wake up hungry or hungry now either.

tonight is gym night. tomorrow maybe but I have an errand to run and not sure if I will have time. Thurs no. fri yes. so I try to go mon tue wed and fri. sat and sun are just to do small workout. or at least that's my plan but life gets in the way. I still have to figure out food shopping and meal prep. not sure how. Last night was the last of the sloppy joes I made him last week. that's what the pain is.

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
An hour of yoga on Monday and Tuesday, 30 minutes on my bike today. I really should be doing more but for some reason work is strangely busy this week.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
only got an hour done last night at gym. they shut off the fans..and I overheated...now I know why I much prefer working out to my youtube videos at work. climate control. I HATE working out in hot air. I was sweating like a pig and only going 3.5 mph so I had enough after an hour. I didn't do any weights. Tonight hopefully they have the darn fans on. otherwise I will complain. They should put the machines down on the floor where it's cooler and the weight machines up high-I wear a long sleeve on the weights due to it being so cold. can't win I tell you!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok can I say this chick is kickin my butt??

this is todays lunchtime jam. halfway through. holy heck!

I found her Facebook page via a search-there's a post she made on Nov 20 I believe that explains her journey. Nothing but admiration for her! Surgeries and recovery stink rocks royally. Hats off to those who have had to recooperate from surgery.

Last edited:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
32 minutes bike riding on clear smooth ice covered roads, 36km/h top speed (22.4mph), felt very hard and like if bike would of had brake binding, but at least got a little riding done. Bike seat feels very hard as it has frozen solid, then melts while riding, which is not the nicest of things.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gym last night. only did 38 minutes on elliptical. I think 2.2 miles. I was bored. Then tried a few of those weight training machines and the pulleys. I like the pulleys better.

Low row- 55-60-70-85

Curls with pulleys 20lb

pullups with pulleys 35lb (its where you bring your wrists from your belly up to your shoulder height infront of you-not sure what you call those-I call em pull ups even though that's not the right name)

some type of machine you sit on with your feet out straight and curl your feet under you-I couldn't get the seat far enough forward without it lifting my butt off the chair. I need a deep seat to keep from sliding out-and it adjusts the backrest forward so the seat part gets smaller and smaller. which doesn't work for me-so not sure I will do that one again.

I wish they brought back the original universal machine with the attachments to do all the leg exercises. That's how I practiced the leg press. I dislike the new machines they have now.

I tried out that leg press sled with no weights on it-my belly got in the way of bringing my knees all the way down. Someone said the sled is about 45-80lb so I did 2 sets of those then added 10 lb and another set. my legs are sore but not too bad.

smith machine with chest press and overhead press-noticed that my stamina was down. I was hungry when I started. So now I need to make an effort to eat a small meal an hour before I go otherwise I burn it off during aerobics. I knew I should have done the weights first and then aerobics after but I was starving by 5:30 and last night was dinner night so I needed time to cook it. only workout today is lunchtime. no time tonight. and I still feel fat and slobbery but I will keep going.

Last edited:

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everybody. I'm so sorry to have neglected you all. I do however think of you daily. I've still been lifting weights 6 days a week plus 2 1/2hr jogs or peddles on my spin bike. I've also been sticking to my new diet. I've lost 1% body fat in 4weeks which is apparently very good. The main thing is that I have enough energy to be super busy and keep up with my training programme. I've been very busy with the gymnastics club and some nights I've exercised until 10pm!!!! That's amazing for me. I was falling into bed at 8:30pm. It's amazing how much a little bit of brown rice can do for you. Keep going you fabulous people!!!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Nice to have you back @Tammat

I've been slacking.
 I'm on Day 11 of a 14 Day working week so I'm finding it hard to fit everything in. I did 45 minutes of yoga on Friday, sat in from of the computer all day Saturday but managed a 90 minute walk on Sunday.

Today I did an hour of yoga then about an hour of yard work. Does shivering count as exercise? I do a lot of shivering at this time of year.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a good question Norachan. I don't think shivering counts but I wonder do our bodies burn more fuel to keep warm or to cool down? I'll have to google it. JTbo do you know the answer? You always seem to know these things.
I was a slacko on Sunday and didn't do my workout. I had 2 naps instead.
Anyways I did my back and chest with Rohan this morning then I had a nap and after work ( I work 4-6pm) I went for a run and then did my biceps. Now it's bed time but I'm a bit too revved up still :blobturq:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Nice to see you, Tammat! 

Well, I don't think the little toe is broken. It still hurts, but is healing and the blackness is dissipating. Those are good things. 

I did try the treadmill yesterday (Sunday) morning for 3 miles. And my foot didn't feel too badly, not a lot of pain, more of a discomfort than pain.

3 miles on the treadmill this morning.

I'm going to see about walking today at lunch. We had snow, sleet, and freezing rain overnight and, here in town, nobody has bothered to clean sidewalks or do much shoveling yet. They never clean out the Trail, so I can't walk there with just sneakers and YakTrax.....my socks and  pants will be soaked. And they're calling for more rain into this afternoon. I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good to see you back Tammat!

I forgot to log Friday night. They had the fans off again-rewiring they said. no music so it was kind of funky.

65 min on elliptical 4.6 miles.

Then tried a few other machines I hadn't tried in a long time.

seated Leg press and got up to 110lb without too much discomfort. sat/sun no discomfort.

another leg thingy you pull your feet out in front of you but because that hurts my knees I only do 10lb on that one. then overhead press, chest press, bent over rows and deadman lift. rows and lift I tried 95lbs. and it was hard but I did a few reps. it was the first time I got to slide a 25lb plate onto the bar..that was pretty exciting! I started at 60lb and just kept adding 5lb so I didn't go nuts right at the heavy weights. Sat I worked long hours and sun I layed around reading and napping. And of course Honeybee spent a few hours sleeping on my chest while I read

today lunchtime jam then tonight gym. rice seems to help keep me fueled.  I only have 1 serving for today but gonna get some more at lunchtime if it's not pouring too much. rice and nuts seems to satisfy the hungry sensations.

Last edited:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a good question Norachan. I don't think shivering counts but I wonder do our bodies burn more fuel to keep warm or to cool down? I'll have to google it. JTbo do you know the answer? You always seem to know these things.
I was a slacko on Sunday and didn't do my workout. I had 2 naps instead.
Anyways I did my back and chest with Rohan this morning then I had a nap and after work ( I work 4-6pm) I went for a run and then did my biceps. Now it's bed time but I'm a bit too revved up still :blobturq:
I have heard numbers like 50 calories per hour from shivering as shivering is twitching of muscles. Sweating is just releasing some liquids, I doubt it adds much to calorie consumption alone.

However I think that it is more complex, it is likely that when person feels cold, person starts moving more = burns more calories, where as when person is sweating and feeling hot, body is telling to slow down and person moves less or with less intensity.

How much there is effect in practice is really unknown to me, however you get more workout when working out at cold, simply because it is easier to push harder for longer.

Remember that cold is one personal trainer, mosquitoes are another, mother nature is there to help you :D

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Remember that cold is one personal trainer, mosquitoes are another, mother nature is there to help you
That's a good thing to keep in mind. I did 90 minutes of yoga this morning but I feel like I'm not really warmed up enough to try the more advanced poses. Maybe I should have a go at some of the videos @foxxycat  posts. They look like they'd warm me up in no time.

@Winchester  I'm glad your toes isn't as bad as you thought it would be.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks, @Norachan. It still hurts, but not nearly as badly as it did.

3.5 miles on the treadmill this morning. (Up to 2% on the incline. I was at 4.5% for a long time. When that bout of sciatica hit my butt back in May, the physical therapist told me to take the incline down to nothing and keep it there for a long while. That was 7 months ago, so I've been slowly increasing the incline on the treadmill. I'd like to get it back up to 4.5% anyway and see what happens.)

Status
Not open for further replies.