The Exercise Motivation Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I went to the gym last night. did the elliptical machine. about 90 minutes. I think it was 5 or 6 miles. I had my radio on and I just didn't want to stop. I did the first mile in 12:45 minutes then poked/sped up the rest of the way. They changed the channel on one of the tvs to channel 5 instead of 4 so no judge judy. I will ask them tonight to put channel 4 back on. I can't stand the people on channel 5. they never cover any big stories and just make chitchat talk which I find annoying..  I listened to Pandora and found some obscure dance music from the 90s that I don't hear much anymore but they used to play these songs all the time on Kiss 108FM back when it was a big radio station.

Norchan no luck with your cat? :( I'm so sorry...is it possible your cat adopted or hung around another house and maybe moved in? Pumpkin face keeps trying to move into a house behind us. She sits by their door and tries to get into the basement but it's been a few years since she has done this.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
3.5 miles on the treadmill this morning. 

By vacuuming and working on laundry, I've gotten 10,000 steps, which is fine. I've been working on trying to get about 13,000 every day and most days can get more than that. Yesterday, for example, I got 17,500 steps, so I'm not too worried about only getting 10,000....and today's not over yet.

I need 120,000 steps to hit 10 million....man, I'd like to get that this year!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess it is time for winter sports, which for me are pretty much same as summer sports, only with slightly less sweating:

Only light source there was my led headlamp, it is 1 second free hand with ISO800 without flash, hence bit blurry, without headlamp I would not be able to see my feet that late and anyone attempting to take photos from cats can tell how challenging it is even when you can see well and camera can't. I had flood light lens installed there, if I change to spot light lens light's range increases a lot and camera really shows lot less light than there really is.

So those new lights really extends the time window where one can exercise.

Not sure about motivation though, I can't use darkness as an excuse anymore and sure I did ride almost 2 hours with bike few days ago, but not much of interest for anything still, maybe some day, at least there are less obstacles.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I printed out another bunch of Lost Cat posters this afternoon, so tomorrow I'm going to go and put them in the mail boxes of every house I come to. She has a collar on with name tags and phone numbers. Hopefully if she does go near people they'll give me a call.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This lunchtime I scaled it back=mostly strength training-not as much aerobics.

The only thing I didn't do is the floor exercises-I instead stood at a 45degree angle against the counter and did pushups this way. I don't have enough strength back to do classic ones but I am working on it. I am aiming to get enough strength to film doing 22 pushups a day for 22 days in support of Veterans who have committed Suicide.

Today I did 2 sets of 22 pushups in my modified way. Next week I should be able to at least do 10 on the floor with my knees bend but it puts too much strain on my knees and bending my toes to do the classic one just is plain uncomfortable. But I will try.

I stuck to the exercises on the left side of the video=the abbreviated ones for less impact. A good short workout to stretch out my body as I am starting to get sore from the nighttime workouts-I normally feel it 48 hours afterwords and 5pm is the 48 hour mark since I started up again for hour+ long workouts.

a

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I boogered my ankle up, I'm not sure exactly what I did to it, but it's hurting and I don't want to make it worse. It's been hurting on and off for a couple of weeks and I figured maybe I should quit walking (again!!!) for a while.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I boogered my ankle up, I'm not sure exactly what I did to it, but it's hurting and I don't want to make it worse. It's been hurting on and off for a couple of weeks and I figured maybe I should quit walking (again!!!) for a while.
Put ice on it, I don't know anything, but they always say to put ice on whatever happens, so maybe it helps?

Hopefully it will pass soon, nothing is giving more stupid feeling than when one can't do much because of body resisting.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester=I am sorry you are having issues with your ankle. I hate it when body aches/illness keeps us from being active.

Gym last night. Did 3 miles on Elliptical. I used my arms more than usual and felt pretty sore at the end so I stretched and went home. I don't know why I keep avoiding the weights. I have no issues using weights when I am by myself. I haven't decided if I will go tonight. I did pack clean clothes to go. I am working 12s this weekend so not sure if I should just not go tonight and rest up for the long weekend at work. More than likely I won't be picked to work the next weekend so I mind as well get it while I can.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried to do a workout at lunch..good grief..went to jump into jumping jacks and something didn't feel right on my knee.. Winchester get better!! I am not going to the gym tonight but I am working 12 hour days tomorrow and sunday so I doubt I will get there this weekend. This is so very frustrating! I taped an ice pack around the knee but need to do this at home. I don't dare sit down for fear I do more damage. as long as I stay standing then it's not hurting. Its when I bend it with the knee behind the hip.

I followed along this video:

I only did upper body and those weird pushups. Got 22 done. I didn't even attempt lounges-those usually hurt me the worst. Even squatting didn't feel right. Let's hope it is just a need to stretch and massage.

Sorry Winchester!! Looks like we both are in a similar boat. I hate it when our bodies don't cooperate... :(

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear you're both having joint pain @foxxycat  and @Winchester  It is really annoying when your body won't play, isn't it?

I walked around for about an hour yesterday, putting Lost Cat posters in the mail boxes of any house that looked like it was being used (Not boarded-up or derelict) 9 houses within an hours walk of here! I'm actually surprised it was that many.

Walked for another hour after work tonight but the weather isn't good today. Cold and wet.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Nothing yet, Norachan? 
 I'm so sorry. 

Foxxycat, gosh I hope it's nothing serious with that knee. 

Getting older bites sometimes. It seems that no sooner does one thing heal than something else acts up. Rick yelled at me last night; he says I'm walking too much and that 3 miles should be enough at my age (at my age? What exactly does that mean? I read about women in their 90s who still walk 3 miles at day! At my age. I told him he should be smacked silly.) I'm only 61 and that is not old. I refuse to concede. There has to be a way around this.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

Nothing yet, Norachan? 
 I'm so sorry. 

Foxxycat, gosh I hope it's nothing serious with that knee. 

Getting older bites sometimes. It seems that no sooner does one thing heal than something else acts up. Rick yelled at me last night; he says I'm walking too much and that 3 miles should be enough at my age (at my age? What exactly does that mean? I read about women in their 90s who still walk 3 miles at day! At my age. I told him he should be smacked silly.) I'm only 61 and that is not old. I refuse to concede. There has to be a way around this.
Thank you Pam.

I'm with you on the "At your age" comment. People have started telling me I look great "for my age". I'm not even 40 yet! And I look fantastic for any age, thank you.

Whenever I go on a long hike in Japan I invariably meet tiny little old ladies who must be in their 80's who've just hiked up the same trail as me and aren't even out of breath. There's no reason you can't stay active if you feel like it.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Walked for 90 minutes this morning then another hour after work. It's really cold and wet here today. It was pretty close to pitch dark by 6 pm.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Peeps :wavey: I'm well rested and back. I did go for 2x 5 kms runs last thurs and frid. That was great. I did get pretty sore legs though :D. I think I used to wear a D width sneaker for running and the last pair I got were a B and they have been terrible from the start. I had blisters on my toes on frid from them being scrunched together. Serves myself right. The B width pair were prittie colours so that's why I bought them. :wife
Rohan has moved to a new house that has a huge shed that he has converted into a pretty cool gym. Today was my first time training there. It was also the first day of my new programme. This one is cluster sets. A heavy weight for 5 reps/ 15 secs rest/ 5 reps / 15,secs rest/ 5 reps/ 90 sec rest and then repeat. Each muscle group has 2 exercises and then 30 reps of a lighter weight to finish. I did my back today which has made my shoulder play up. I'm joining the list of injured people :lol3:

Keep going everybody :clap:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Hey there, Tammat! Welcome back! Oooh, that's not good to go from a D width up to a B. Oy. I've been there with the pretty colors, though, so I get you. Sorry about your shoulder. Be careful!

1 mile on the treadmill

10 minutes on the Cardio-Glide (I'm trying to use my arms to push, so I'm going to have to build myself up on it, as I go....still better than just walking, which is very painful again)

2.5 miles walked during lunch today (and it hurt....I don't know if I can keep walking)

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry Winchester you are still having issues with your ankle!! Rest/Ice. I know. It's so VERY annoying! Especially for us who like to zoom along.

Good to see you again Tammat!! I will have to mess around with those reps/thingies.

I did a half hour of light impact moves today.

There was some bending and knee work at the end and I instead worked my arms some more, I then did light jogging in place for 4 minutes. It wasn't as painful as Friday but I just stretched before and after. So far it's a warm ache but no sharp needle feeling anymore. I rested this weekend but still active. I worked long hours and didn't do crazy working out like usual. I think I will focus on my arms/trunk for awhile and not so much on the legs even though my weight gain is all on my legs. I look like turkey legs but hey every bit is better than none.

Keep up the good work everyone!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Nice to have you back with us @Tammat

I walked for about 3 hours yesterday. Met a nice old lady out walking her two cats on leashes and gave her a copy of my Lost Cat poster, so that's one more person keeping an eye out for Twinkle.

Status
Not open for further replies.