The end of an era in hot rodding

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The builder of what is considered to be the first "Fad T" Ford T bucket died yesterday morning.

Norm Grabowski built his T in the early 1950's. He used it as a show car and a dragster in the early days. Most of us first saw it on the TV show "77 Sunset Strip." If you don't remember it, your mother probably does; in a stroke of brilliance, the TV show's producers included a character named "Kookie," played by Edd Byrnes, who drove Norm Grabowski's car on the show.

After Kookie crashed the car filming an episode, Norm was hired to do his own stunt driving.

After that, Norm had parts in a number of movies. Most notably, he was in several of the beach movies starring such people as Annette Funicello. Guys my age know that any hands that have touched Annette are sacred, right?

Norm was an innovator, inventor, and a humorist in the automotive world. Only guy I ever met who could drink root beer and whistle at the same time.

I met Norm a number of times at our national T bucket club meetings, and sat and had dinner with him. He was always fun to have around and made the event better.

Norm had tongue cancer, and finally succumbed to in Friday morning. He will be sorely missed in the hot rodding world.

Last edited:

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Interesting video

My condolences on the passing of Norm

I remember "77 Sunset Strip" but I have never watched it.  It must have come on at my bedtime because I remember seeing the opening credits but never got to watch the show.