The Dangers In Anti-ticks / Fleas Meds In Dogs

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I've always used a topical flea/tick preventative as opposed to oral for our dog. Could you possibly switch to one of the topical ones?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As fur parent we want only what’s good for our pets. I have been giving all of my 3 dogs Bravecto as tick and flea preventives as per prescribed/recommended by our vet but turned out this is not safe. At all.

Are These Oral Flea And Tick Preventives Safe?
All this new prevention scares the crap out of us both. One product was on the market for about 3 years before it was discontinued, we used it and had several sick cats, one dog that was showing neurological problems, and a cat that almost died from it.
Dr. Pitcairn has an excellent view on this subject in his book.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my dogs, a black lab, died suddenly 3 years ago. He was healthy. He was young (just over 2 years old). His vet checks were on the dot. Suddenly had cardiac arrest. Now as I am reading all these complaints about tick/flea preventions it makes me wonder if my beloved dog Mocchi died due to this drugs I have been giving him just to protect him from parasites.

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
I've always used a topical flea/tick preventative as opposed to oral for our dog. Could you possibly switch to one of the topical ones?
I have become paranoid. Are they also safe considering that dogs also do grooming and could get it from licking their fur? You see, my dogs groom each other, not just themselves. :(

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The topical ointment is placed between the shoulder blades where the dog can't get to it. Try to avoid contact with it until completely dry. It's important to follow the package directions. And as a precaution I would check if the product you would like to use has had any recalls.

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
The topical ointment is placed between the shoulder blades where the dog can't get to it. Try to avoid contact with it until completely dry. It's important to follow the package directions. And as a precaution I would check if the product you would like to use has had any recalls.
Thank you. I will check this out.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It takes 45 minutes to an hour to dry so you need to keep your guys separated and out of their wading pool until it dries.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The problem is, nothing is 100% safe. Some people drown while drinking a glass of water or choke to death on their lunch, but we still have to eat and drink. In the same way, pesticides aren't 100% safe. But having parasites isn't safe either; there's a reason pesticides were invented. We can only do our best.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well said Willowy.

I would rather myself and my pets not get Lyme disease, ehrlichiosis, tapeworms, heartworms, etc.... Treat under close supervision of a vet, with bloodwork before giving meds.

To the poster who said their dog died from cardiac arrest after a perfect check up at the vet, did that include bloodwork? Did the dog have any genetic heart defects? Maybe it was on a grain free diet before it was known as a possible cause of DCM? What other meds were your dog on? There are so many things to cause it, guessing at what it could be is such a bold thing to do with nothing to back it up except an on the dot vet check. I mean no offense, I am just pointing that out.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Animal Drug Safety Communication: FDA Alerts Pet Owners and Veterinarians About Potential for Neurologic Adverse Events Associated with Certain Flea and Tick Products

Neurologic Event Potential Associated with Certain Flea/Tick Products

here's the summary naming product names, including which are safe - last sentence in paragraph

"Since these products have obtained their respective FDA approvals, data received by the agency as part of its routine post-marketing activities indicates that some animals receiving Bravecto (fluralaner) tablets for dogs, Bravecto (fluralaner) topical solution for cats and dogs, Nexgard (afoxalaner) tablets for dogs, or Simparica (sarolaner) tablets for dogs, have experienced adverse events such as muscle tremors, ataxia, and seizures. Two additional products in this class, Credelio (lotilaner) tablets for dogs and Revolution Plus (selamectin and sarolaner topical solution) for cats, recently received FDA approval. These products are approved for the treatment and prevention of flea infestations, and the treatment and control of tick infestations. Revolution Plus, is also approved for prevention of heartworm disease, treatment and control of ear mite infestations and some gastrointestinal parasite infections."

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Flea and tick medications are not safe in general. All are poisons. I don't use any preventatives on any of my animals because of this. If fleas show up, we treat when they do.

Generally, I tell people its like with children and lice. You don't give your child a monthly lice preventative, you treat when they get it.

Now I am lucky to live somewhere where there aren't many fleas or ticks, so it may be easier to get away with using none of these preventatives here rather than anywhere else.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now I am lucky to live somewhere where there aren't many fleas or ticks, so it may be easier to get away with using none of these preventatives here rather than anywhere else.
Yes. Generally, once you see fleas on your pet it means your house is already infested, and just treating the pets won't fix matters :/. But I agree that it's not necessary to use the flea meds when risk of infestation is low.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would use tick prevention for dogs or cats and heartworm prevention for dogs absolutely. Fleas on the other hand... I might use prevention in the summer months but I don't even always do that. I am certain I have just gotten lucky but I never had a huge problem. Ticks and Heartworms bring for more serious disease and I know SO many people with Lyme disease.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to chime in but I honestly don't really know what to say anyone on topics like this. There is a slew of information on the internet and I have literally drove myself into an unhealthy paranoid state constantly researching and reading both side of the argument. The argument with regard to, should we or should we not flea/tick prevention, and/or vaccinate.

When I adopted my dog, they talked about all these monthly preventative medication to give him in case of heartworm, fleas, ticks, etc. But he's barely 5lb. It just feels so wrong putting all those things into his tiny body.

I thought I had more to say... I donno - that's kinda where I'm at right now.

Every individual animal is different and I feel an owner should make decisions based on where their pet is health wise. Do your research, ask questions, education and do whatever you think is best.

The fleas are bad this year and I knew my regular run of the mile way of natural treatment wouldn't work so I had to buy the Advantage.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The problem is, nothing is 100% safe. Some people drown while drinking a glass of water or choke to death on their lunch, but we still have to eat and drink. In the same way, pesticides aren't 100% safe. But having parasites isn't safe either; there's a reason pesticides were invented. We can only do our best.
THIS ^

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All of my pets wear Seresto collars because they seem to work well and if there was a reaction I could just take it off. My dogs are also given heartworm preventative; I'd give it to Friday too but he won't take it and he's indoors only so his risk is low.

There's always a risk, no matter what you do. I'd like to be able to not have to do any of this, but I'd prefer to prevent than deal with the aftermath. When my dad adopted his dog she turned up heartworm positive and treatment was a nightmare - super expensive and the poor girl spent 3 months confined to a crate nearly 24/7. Fleas are ruthless. Ticks carry diseases - a few years ago my parents lost some of their farm cats to cytauxzoonosis which is an absolutely horrific thing to happen.

I think sometimes it's tricky, but you have to weigh the risk.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The one thing to be sure of before using a collar on a cat is how your cat deals with collars. If he's going to try to chew the collar off, a flea collar might not be the best way to go for that particular cat. I've seen a couple of cats get their collars stuck/wedged in their mouths. It happened sometime during the day and they were rescued when their people got home. How long were they chewing on the collar? Was it safe? If your cat has this tendency, I'd write the flea collar manufacturer and ask what happens if the cat does this? What happens is the buckle cuts his mouth while he's doing this?

You want to have all the information you can at your fingers in case you need to tell your vet.