The "clicker training" movement

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I did some more last night. Bagheera was trying, but she got ousted by the others, who suddenly all got on board with touching (basic touching, mind you) the stick. No one would do more than walk over to it. I couldn't get them to jump up on the freezer for it. I also couldn't get any of them to "stand" or "sit up" for it. The problem that I'm getting now is they're responding to the click and only one or two of them are actually getting treated for doing something.. (the ones that are doing what earned the click).

I need to figure out a way to work with one at a time.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, we haven't been working on it the last few days. Although, I do notice a difference in my shy little Bagheera's personality. She's definitely more outgoing. Of course, I've now taught them a bad thing in jumping to the top of the freezer, since they're now getting on top of the counters as well. Some of them already did that, but I'm seeing it from the ones that didn't do it before as well.

I have also noticed that on the somewhat rare occasion that they're not all milling about my feed every time I enter the kitchen around feeding time, if I call them (I've started using "meow meow"), and then click, it gets their attention and they come running.

I should work on this some more tonight.

Anyone else having any luck? How are things going for you guys?

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've managed to teach Pogue to "jump up" and touch the target stick, when it's on a wall. He'll stretch to reach it or he'll jump up to get it. Joyeux will also stretch to reach it as well. Pogue is the only one actually "following" it around, when I put it on top of things, or on a wall, or somewhere that he'd have to jump to get to.. and he's not doing it consistently.

Overall, though, I think they're doing pretty well, especially given the chaotic nature of our clicker training sessions.

I also have to figure out what to use for Khan as a reward. He doesn't eat treats. He won't eat anything but raw meat, and since that's what he gets fed, that's not really a treat.