The chronicles of theodore

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all!

I post here often lol thank goodness for this site! I just went to a new vet because I see my 9 month old persian doll faced kitten sneezing (nothing comes out of his nose) occurs maybe twice a week, has has runny stool/diarrhea since I got him when he was a baby, burps about 10 minutes after eating (no vomitting food) throws up hair balls at least twice a month.

The vet said his eyes looked a little red minor feline herpes but said he didnt need drops. Which I dont understand because how will it get better without treatment :/

She also gave me fortiflora and said to give him one sachet on his food a day for a month.

Is there anything else you think I should ask the vet to do to see what it can be? Also do you have any recommendation for hairballs? Thank you so much! ♡

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
A couple questions, and I apologise if you've covered this in other posts, but have you tried a change of food? Does he get canned food? Is he maybe eating too fast?

You could ask your vet, but I'm thinking your vet is trying the fortiflora before trying anything stronger. You would want to stay that course, and check with them before doing anything else.

Are you grooming him frequently? There are hairball pastes/gels, but even here, if it were me I'd double check with the vet before introducing anything else.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If the vet thinks the eye condition is related to a herpes flare up, I am not sure what they could give you to help since flare ups are viral related and not bacterial. So, they probably just want you keep a watch over it to see if it clears up on its own. However, you could ask the vet if they think it would be more appropriate to have some drops to help reduce any pain or discomfort that might accompany the redness.

Hairball treatments can be a simple as a dab of butter/margarine on your finger or on his paw to lick off. Probably a couple times a week. You could also try some of the hairball malts/pastes that are sold in pet stores and online. Some members here use things like egg yolk or egg yolk lecithin - others use plain canned pumpkin. But other than the butter/margarine, the other items could either help or worsen the loose stools, depending on what is causing it. It is possible that the flortiflora could help too with the hairballs. At this juncture, I am kind of with Furballsmom Furballsmom , and just see if regular brushings would keep down the amount of hair he is able to ingest.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
A couple questions, and I apologise if you've covered this in other posts, but have you tried a change of food? Does he get canned food? Is he maybe eating too fast?

You could ask your vet, but I'm thinking your vet is trying the fortiflora before trying anything stronger. You would want to stay that course, and check with them before doing anything else.

Are you grooming him frequently? There are hairball pastes/gels, but even here, if it were me I'd double check with the vet before introducing anything else.
When we first got him he only ate royal canin had diarrhea. We have tried hound and gatos rawz ziwi peak feline natural tiki cat. Still diarrhea. Only wet food. We have tried giving only chicken shredded rawz for 3 months no treats still diarrhea. Turkey he hates and will not eat it anymore. He uses a plate to eat slowly so I dont think so. That makes sense i just dont want him to depend on fortiflora for the rest of his life. I do groom him but next week he is getting fully shaved to reduce the hair balls.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. If the vet thinks the eye condition is related to a herpes flare up, I am not sure what they could give you to help since flare ups are viral related and not bacterial. So, they probably just want you keep a watch over it to see if it clears up on its own. However, you could ask the vet if they think it would be more appropriate to have some drops to help reduce any pain or discomfort that might accompany the redness.

Hairball treatments can be a simple as a dab of butter/margarine on your finger or on his paw to lick off. Probably a couple times a week. You could also try some of the hairball malts/pastes that are sold in pet stores and online. Some members here use things like egg yolk or egg yolk lecithin - others use plain canned pumpkin. But other than the butter/margarine, the other items could either help or worsen the loose stools, depending on what is causing it. It is possible that the flortiflora could help too with the hairballs. At this juncture, I am kind of with Furballsmom Furballsmom , and just see if regular brushings would keep down the amount of hair he is able to ingest.
Thanks I dont know anything about feline herpes so that makes sense now she did say to call her if I see any green or yellow eye discharge. I just thought he needed drops for it to go away. Do you know why feline herpes happens is there anything I could have done to prevent it?
I'll try some butter thank you so much for your input!

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all!

I post here often lol thank goodness for this site! I just went to a new vet because I see my 9 month old persian doll faced kitten sneezing (nothing comes out of his nose) occurs maybe twice a week, has has runny stool/diarrhea since I got him when he was a baby, burps about 10 minutes after eating (no vomitting food) throws up hair balls at least twice a month.

The vet said his eyes looked a little red minor feline herpes but said he didnt need drops. Which I dont understand because how will it get better without treatment :/

She also gave me fortiflora and said to give him one sachet on his food a day for a month.

Is there anything else you think I should ask the vet to do to see what it can be? Also do you have any recommendation for hairballs? Thank you so much! ♡
Hes so cute