The Cats Meaow...

Cathyvdw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my names Cathy.. I've had cats all my life... my mum used to breed and show Siamese & Oriental Siamese cats in South Africa and as I got older I became more involved - that is until we came to the UK in 2001...

My mom got Eamon, a Siamese Bluepoint in 2002 - Bridie, a Chocolatepoint in 2003 & Paddy, a Ginger cat in 2003 / 2004. Unfortunately my mom passed away in 2007 but because we had a dog (Jack Russel), the cats went to stay with my sister who had 2 of her own 'tabby' cats but Eamon & Paddy wouldn't settle so they came to live with me. They eventually learnt to ignore Toby (dog). My sister moved to Australia so Bridie also came to live with me and they all settled in well.

Last year we had to put Eamon down as his kidneys were in failure and it was best for him but it broke our hearts... He wasn't a sickly cat as such but he was the 'runt' of his litter so was skinny and odd looking but he was beautiful and so loving... My youngest was his 'mom', he slept with her and looked for her when he heard her voice...
Bridie seemed to be the worst affected of the cats as they always slept together and she 'mothered' him. She was always 'calling' and we thought she was looking for Eamon even though she knew he was gone...
I told my daughter that I would get her kittens after a year so we could all settle - it wouldn't replace Eamon but she could have a cat of her own again as Bridie is more my eldest's and Paddy is mine...

I've now got 2 little black kittens - they're about 8 weeks old and we've had them 2 weeks (seller tried telling me they were 8 weeks when we got them but I knew they weren't)...

We kept the kittens in my daughters room for the first week, they've been allowed out upstairs and as I'm bed bound they like spending time with me on my bed when my daughter's out and about (at 14 that's most of the day...) the worry / problem is that Bridie has 'accepted' the kittens, she doesn't like them, won't talk to them but will stay on the bed even if they on it so long as they don't come near her but she also isn't the same as she was... spends a lot of time downstairs or in the bathroom by the radiator but Paddy seems petrified of the kittens, he won't come upstairs at all and when we try bring him up he hisses and runs out even if the kittens are locked in my daughters room...

I'm worried about what will happen when the kittens start going downstairs and roaming round the house properly... will he settle or will he run... I'm scared he'll run away - I don't think I can handle loosing him but I don't know what to do!!!

I'm sorry for the LONG winded story but thought I needed to let you know as much as possible and what they cats have been through already...

Any help / suggestions please...
Thank you for reading...

Cathy & kit-kin...

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
It can take lots of time for cats to get used to each other sometimes. Check out our Behavior forum, you'll see lots of threads about integrating cats.

Welcome to TCS! We love photos of cats here so feel free to post pictures of your babies. :)