The Cats at our Shelter

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Howdy everyone.

Just recently I've started doing something I've wanted to do for a long time: volunteer at our local shelter. I love animals of all kinds, but I've got a lot of experience with dogs and cats form a young age and so our Humane Society is a great place to help animals (and the staff) in need of assistance.

Mainly I walk dogs, clean up after them, and help where the staff needs it such as with laundry or folding fliers, ect. No one day is the same as the next and all the new animals are unique in appearance and personality, as well as story.

While I don't work with the cats as much as the dogs (they don't need walked) I do get to know some of them and spend time with them, talking to them, snuggling them, and of course looking forward to them getting a great new home. Sometimes I can't help but wish I could take them all myself, but we already have a number of cats, some of which are rescues, so I just do what I can for them where they are.

Anyways, I love sharing stories and pictures of animals, so I thought I would do that for these little guys.

Butters curled up on a blanket. We do have a nice number of long-haired cats that come in as well. They are so gorgeous, though sometimes they are matted and need a chance to grow back in their coat with the proper grooming. This guy was more fortunate, as he was surrendered by an owner and not as a stray.

Here is Moo. The poor guy was badly over-weight as well as suffering from issues with throwing up. He had free-run of the hospital room, but seemed most content curled up in his crate on a soft blanket. He eventually got adopted, which was awesome! He still needed to loose some weight though.

I love this guy, he's such a sweetie. His name is Mr. Cool, and that just adds to his awesome factor. He apparently was a stray but has swollen, cracked and bleeding paw pads and so he has lots of soft blankets and soft litter in his pan so that he can heal up well before being put up for adoption. He calls for you to come and pet him and just loves attention.

And we can't forget the little orphaned kitties that come in. Either they lost their mother or someone found them abandoned or an owner didn't want to keep the kittens of their unspayed cat. Whatever the story, this little guy is very healthy and lively and loves his bottle (ba ba). He has a warm heat-pad to sit on if he wants and goes home with someone at night to be given round-the-clock feedings and attention.

Many kittens that are switched to milk replacer have constipation issues, and little Boodle is no different. However, with plenty of smart staff members and a good vet, I'm sure he'll manage to "go" soon.

Shantelle is a extremely friendly little tortie kitten who came in with a broken hind leg. She needed a cast at first, but in this photo you can see it has been removed. She got around fine with her cast, though she often would lay down and drag her self around to get attention. She would call for me and I would go and spend some time with her between walking dogs. She won me over, I have to admit.

She healed up nicely and was adopted. 

Here is poor Rags when he first came in, barely able to breath or see, he was in terrible condition. He had an injury as well as a respiratory infection. It took him probably over a month to get over it enough that he is now up for adoption and so sweet and talkative. He doesn't get along with the other cats always, so he spends the closed hours in one of the visitor rooms and open hours up front, available for people to coo over. He still has crusty eyes, but that is just from his long struggle with sickness.

Oh, and a close of up Boodle. The sweet little guy just open his eyes, so is probably around 2 weeks of age. He still toddles about and gives little cries when he's hungry. I love watching how kittens eyes roll back in their head when they begin nursing on a bottle. One of the most content times of their life.

Thanks for reading. Hope to update more.  : )

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Most of our cats from previously have been adopted, though from what I hear Moo is in a foster home while he gets healthy. However, now we've got a whole no cast of amazing cats awaiting their turn to be adopted. Some of them just arrived, others are being treated for medical conditions in the hospital room, and many are up and ready either in the front room (those who don't do well with other cats) or in the cat room (those who get along with each other).

The crates in the back offer the cats a warm, safe (they like the den like feel), clean environment to get over any health problems before adoption. They get a soft bed, a litter box, a healthy diet, clean and constant water, dewormed, all their fleas and ticks removed, vaccinations, and antibiotics if needed (as many have respiratory infections when they come in).

These are two of our new arrivals, a brown tabby male named Thompson and a smaller female calico/tabby named Trinket. It is the first time I've seen adult cats in the same cage together, so they must have been surrendered together as friends. Hopefully they can be adopted out together, if they really are as bonded as to be placed together in the same crate.

This black and white dude is Ginseng, a cat on boarding. He can be grouchy (as the sign says

Precious, so very precious, this is a new arrival, an orange tabby male with what appears to be a broken foot, terrible respiratory issues, and a thin and weak frame. He was a stray but is so sweet and gentle, even in his pain. I am so glad he got to us in time to be helped, as he know has hope of surviving and finding a good home. The shelter calls him Gimpy, but I thought he deserved another nickname. I call him the Great Catsby.

Racer is a black and white male who came in as a stray. Now, his card says that he is a little scared, but when I petted him he was SOOOO sweet! He actually reached up and put one paw on each shoulder and hugged me he loved being petted so much!!! I've never had a cat do that before! Yeah, I love this little guy.

This dude is really shy, but otherwise friendly. His name is Stachy (short for Moustache). The name comes from his awesome black patterning under his nose that looks like a little moustache.

Aida is a beautiful patched tabby calico. She has green eyes that are just so gorgeous to look at. She is a 3 year old female who, as her card says, does best without other cats in the house where she is.

This is another of our orphan little kittens. They usually go off to various foster homes until they are old enough to be neutered/spayed, vaccinated, dewormed, and adopted out. His name is Smith, a cute little name for his adorable patterning.

I'll add more later. Thanks for reading about these little guys and seeing what it is like in the back room of the shelter. They are given wonderful care but I'm sure each and everyone looks forward to the day they get free range with a family of their own. I would so be taking in as many as I could if my family didn't have allergies to cats (we have four outdoor cats, one porch/basement cat and one indoor/outdoor cat, which is risky enough with allergies to cats).

reversedpolarit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What beautiful cats! I volunteered with a shelter for a while and would share pictures/stories on social media because the shelter was awful at updating the website :D

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What beautiful cats! I volunteered with a shelter for a while and would share pictures/stories on social media because the shelter was awful at updating the website
That's awesome.  : )

I know that much of the work done at our shelter is by volunteers, including some of the top jobs. Its awesome to know that people are willing to give without asking for anything in return.

lillypie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So cute, I have a hard time walking around my local shelter without just wanting to bring them all home with me. Two years ago I was volunteering at my local shelter as well, maybe after this pregnancy I will go back again!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is one from the shelter where I volunteer. I got involved when we were looking for a cat to adopt and got to know the people and the organization. They are truly awesome, and when they say no kill, they really mean it.  This is one of the rooms where the cats live until they are adopted.

lillypie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
omg i love how they are all tabbys lined up! so precious. hope they find homes 

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's so awesome!

Those cats are all so beautiful, very regal looking. Its awesome you are volunteering there, helping all of those kitties out. 

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kitten season is almost here, and as the weather warms and prey becomes more abundant, feral cats and unfixed pets alike are beginning to give birth. We've already got some kittens here that are being fostered until old enough to adopt, but many more are expected as the weeks pass.

This is a four-some of adorable little kittens, around 4 weeks of age is my guess. Two white kittens, a brown tabby, and an orange tabby. Soon after I took these pictures they were taken home for the day by a foster family.

They loved to try to climb all over me, even though they still toddled about on unsteady legs. So cute!

One of the two white kittens (which wouldn't sit still for a decent picture) had some crusty, runny-ness around the eyes. They may have gotten a virus from their mother, but hopefully with proper care they will get over whatever sicknesses they may have had when they first arrived. Many of the kittens come in sick and need medical attention and antibiotics.

Here is the little orange tabby! Yes, he/she does have a brown mark over his eyes. A little N. I'm not sure if it is a smudge from a marker or something or not, but if it truly is a dark mark then this guy may actually be a calico (which would mean its likely a girl).

Here is the little brown tabby kitten. He doesn't want to be left out as the others search for food.

When it was time to leave the two white kittens decided to win me over with pitiful little meows and climbing antics.

However, it turns out they just wanted food. As soon as it was given to them they ignored me. Typical.  Lol.  : )

Here is the Great Catspy (Gimpy), enjoying some tender pettings. He wasn't there when I came in today, so I'm hoping he is either in foster care or possibly found a home? I doubt he would have been released into the Cat Room in his condition, with his sniffles and broken paw.

.... Best of luck little Catspy!

This pretty girl is Aida, with beautfiul green eyes and tabby patchwork. She doesn't get along with the other cats, but she is up for adoption in the front room, where she gets to watch the world go by. I just love her eyes. They are so large and intelligent.

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Thank you for sharing! 

If the shelter is interested, I can start an account for you guys and you could post in their behalf (or someone else could) in the Shelter News forum. It's a good way to share news about cats for adoption and special events.
That would be really awesome! I would have to talk to them about it. I want to help these cats as much as possible... and sharing their stories is a lot of fun too.

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Many of our cats get a chance to be adopted over the week-end at another location. Hopefully some of the cats below got to go this Friday.

He was a little shy at first, but after I gently held out my hand to let him sniff it, not forcing it on him, he was happy to get some snuggles from me.

Then I think the other cats made him a little uncomfortable, though he stuck around and watched.

Some of the more chill cats of the Cat room are Fremont and Hastings. Both beautiful in coloration (and enjoying a perch on the Cat Rooms sink) they are very friendly and relaxed. Hastings is colored like a Somali or Abyssinian, but it can be hard to tell because of the patches of missing fur that are only now beginning to grow back. Fremont is a dark brown tabby with gorgeous smokey black on the legs and paws and hind legs that are longer then the front ones.

And we can't forget the crazy girl Peggy, who was nervous when she first met me but couldn't help but show her crazy playful side by pouncing on imaginary toys over and over, bobbing her head up and down like some kind of bird, and chasing after my fingers like they were toys.

Here is a view of part of the Cat Room, with Boswell front and center, Hastings on the sink, and Julius getting some food (or maybe water).

Even after I left Peggy couldn't help but continue to try to play with my fingers through the window. She would duck out of view, then peek up, and then surprise pounce! Yeah, she won me over with her silly girl antics.

Another cat I can't help but adore is Mr. Cool. He's a handsome black male with painful, bleeding paw-pads. As you can see from the first picture, I didn't know he was still swollen and got some nice paw-prints on my pants and apron. He was so sweet that I didn't stop him though (and thankfully they didn't stain either).

Despite his issue (which is finally getting better with gentle care, soft bedding, and time) Mr. Cool continues to be chill, happy, and enjoy every moment he can get with you for cuddles. Such a trooper and with such gentle green eyes.

And of course he has a silly, playful side too. Which cat wouldn't?

And here is little Smith, hoping for some cuddles (yes, he is very, very sweet. I'm sure once he's old enough he'll be adopted really quickly). He has a nice partial van pattern, though only one dark patch is on his head. He also has a cute little black patch on one of his back paws.

And no, I can never forget the friendliest, sweetest, most cuddly cat I have EVER met, racer. He's young, he has the sniffles (poor guy didn't get to go today to get adopted because of it) but he doesn't let that bring him down. He will throw his paws around your neck and just hug you and rub against you and cuddle against your face! I've never had a cat be so excited about being held. He enjoyed some time just being held and carried around to see stuff today.

Here he is, going in for the hug. He's so light weight too, easy to carry around without a problem. Hopefully he gets over the sniffles soon, because I'm sure someone will adopt him in no time (I sure wish we could, but there are allergies in the family).

I'll try to update soon.  : )

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope they find homes quickly.  I have to say, your facility is one of the cleanest I've ever seen.  

They are all so beautiful.  And those sweet kittens.  My goodness.  Melts my heart.

Thanks for sharing and spreading the word.

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone.

He had a sore on his back paw and some stuff stuck in his tail, but other then that he was healthy and I'm sure very happy to have a house all to himself and a family that can adore him.  : )

An update on Boodle, the little kitten can see and hear and is eating dishes of formula mixed with wet kitten food. He is even using the litter box! However, he still likes to snuggle with his little stuffy.  SO CUTE!

His bugging little kitten eyes look a little too big for his head, but I'm sure he is just getting use to how to use them. Eventually he'll have gorgeous eyes like the adult cats too. For now... he's just cute!!

We also got four black and white kittens that came in, ready to be neutered and spayed and adopted out. Three boys and one little girl.

They have pretty semi-long hair and cute coloration. They're also tame, sweet, and healthy and will likely be pretty large when they mature.

Here is Peaches, the patched tabby and white. She is polydactyl, but got a few of her extra claws removed so they wouldn't curl into her skin. She's a little shy and hissy at times, but her coloration is beautiful and hopefully she can be up for adoption soon.

Smith is doing wonderfully, and continues to be a sweet, adorable little guy.

I mean, who can resist that face???

Here is Trinket, saying hello. Shy, as you can tell by her big eyes, she still was happy to have some company.

She is no longer being kept with Thompson, but seems to enjoy getting the bed all to herself.

Boodle was messy and needed a good wash, but cried for a bottle most of the time instead. He likes to dive into his food dish face first, and boy that formula can dry like cement!

And of course we can't forget the lovable Mr. Cool. Still bleeding a little, but not letting it get him down, he adores any attention he can get.

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Julius, asking for some love. He must have been a little jealous of the other dudes getting some pettings.

Fremont, chill as can be, giving a funny expression when caught grooming himself.

Fremont showing off how long his back-legs are.

Boswell's brother? I'm not sure which one.

Hasting, sitting by the sink, showing off those lovely eyes of his.

Racer, enjoying more cuddles as I change his litter box.

Stachy (short for Moustache) not really sure what to think of me. He's shy, but getting use to things around here.

Gimpy (Catsby) after his leg was amputated. He had nerve damage in his leg, hints the way he couldn't use it.

He was already perking up the next day, though I'm sure he'll have to get use to it. He's such an adorable little survivor. Even though his whole leg wasn't damaged, trial and error seems to show that the less of the leg is left the better. Maybe its better to be either three legged or four legged, not anywhere in between.

A new stray who came in the day before I left. if he got the all clear he might even be adopted by now.