The "C " word

mondu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Today is July 31, 2001, I have just found out that the lump removed from my 2 year old female (Mika) is a tumor. It is being tested to see if it is malignant or benign. The vet was hesitant to give me a guess on the odds. He said its location ( on the upper nose area, just about eyelevel) was an uncommon spot for a tumor. After shaving the fur to remove it he told me the lump had a red surface but below it was white. He said to be optimistic until we get the results back. I have a gut feel that he knows this is malignant. Four years ago, I put my 20 year old, Cat Mondu to sleep. This was very emotional for me and I vowed never to go thru it again. 2 years later my brother got a pair of cats and the IDIOT allowed his cats outside before they were spayed. One got pregnant and I ended up taking 2 cats from the litter. And now I get the joy (sarcasm) of watching another beloved pet being put to sleep. I feel bad for what Mika is eventually going to go thru, and I feel bad for her brother (Cujo) who absolutely adores her. I guess I'm writing this to find out from others their experiences with cancer cats.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dear Mondu,

First things first...*hugs* I am sorry you and your kitty are going through this now. I don't have any experience with cancer in cats, but my heart is just breaking for you and what you must be feeling right now. Bless your heart!!

Now, not to sound all Forest Gump, but my mother used to have a saying that seems to apply here (oh someone purrrrrleeeeze kill me, I am using my mother's sayings!!!) "Let's not borrow trouble, as it seems to be able to find us quite well enough all on it's own without us helping it along."

Let's wait and see what the vet says before we go off thinking the worst.

I am going to be sending you and your kitty positive thoughts and many hopes for the best. Strength to you, my dear. And remember to breathe. We are here if you need us.

Blessings,

Gaye

catspride

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The first year I had housecats, they seemed indestructable. My cats, adopted off the street, never seemed to be ill, and when they were, it was temporary, like colds are for humans. I kept them wormed and deflead and vaccinated, and things went along for 11 years in a very comfortable way. And then two dogs killed my older cat. Since that time, now 6 years ago, I have learned that a saying I heard somewhere is really true. To love cats is to accept grief.

Among the 30 or 40 cats that have passed through my care over the last 4 years, there has been a 30 percent mortality among my inhouse cats, and I don't want to think about the ferals who refused to convert to domestication. I find it hard, and I cry, even though I don't believe in death, being a long-time meditator. But someone brings me a kitten and I take it in without question.

Cars, dogs, and environmental and deliberate poisoning are the first and foremost killers. Disease is a distant runnerup.

I have come to terms with the grief that is attached to loving cats. I have learned the other side of the saying -- that having the friendship or companionship of these enigmatic and wondrous creatures, even for the limited time many of them survive, is more than worth all the tears we shed. My grief is mainly for my own loss. Life and death are the opposites of a continuous circle -- a continuous cosmic wheel of birth, death, rebirth... I let my grief rise for my own loss, but I rejoice that I have known my little friends and I would not trade their company for any burden of tears in the world.

Your first cat lived a very long time, unless that 20 years was a typo? How wonderfully lucky you both were in each other to be able to share 20 years of living together. How wonderful that your old cat was able to pass beyond with the memory of the security and love she had with you. How very strong of you to help her die peacefully instead of lingering in misery. How much I wish it was acceptable to help a person to die so gently when they reach the point that life has no quality.

All of life is only a loan by the Creator. All of us return to the Spirit in the correct and appropriate time.

I hope your news about your young cat is not bad, but endings happen to us all -- even the mighty Redwood will fall in some thousands of years. Don't let loss keep you from the honor and joy of being the companion of all the cats that still wait in your future.

billie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dear Mondu!
I don't have any experience with cat cancer but I do feel for you and your cat and my heart goes out to you both. What you have to go through breaks my heart and I'll be praying for good news.
Please, let us know what happens...

bodlover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my boys had to be put to sleep at just 6 months old, and although it wasn't from cancer, it was still just as horrible. I really feel for you and you have my deepest sympathy, I hope it doesn't turn out the way you expect it to, you never know, cats are such strong brave little creatures, there is always hope......

My prayers are with you and your darling baby

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mondu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good news the lump was a granuloma not cancer. I am so relieved it really looked grim there for awhile. I want to thank those that replied to my post for their well wishes and encouragement.