The bond between cats

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Guys I'm so excited right now. I hope it's a of things changing for the good in our family because life been a real struggle. but that another story here my news and story.

Back in 2017 we took in 8 cats 3 of which have behavior issues. Talia who had some aggressive behavior which turned out to be an overstimulation issues and not actual aggression.

Ace was terrified and traumatized and very dependent on who we believe are his parents especially Ally. This boy spent a year in the cat room refusing to leave or interact anything not the other cats. We had two choices 1. Try and push him to interact while wearing protective gear cause he lashed out. Or 2. Just let him be and come around in his own time.

We choose 2. And let him see that we weren't going to hurt him. Eventually after a very long time of watching us with the others and boxing with us Ace decided to try this whole petting thing the others loved. He would come up and press himself against Ally or Harley when they where being petted. So you ended up petting him at the same time as them. This lead to him wanting petted when you had Ally or Harley to him coming out on his own and seeking you out for attention.

Andy problem was opposite of Ace where he was traumatized from abuse. Andy was traumatized by those trying to make her a cuddle cat because that's what people prefer to have and makes adoption easier. She very independent dose her own thing type of cat who now feared being touched because it meant forced holding. She loves for you to talk to her just can't touch her unless you manage to be sneaky.

Tonight Ace brought Andy out and showed her that getting petted doesn't meaning anything bad. Just like how Ally and Harley supported him while he was brave Ace has done the same for his little sister. Tonight for the first time ever I got to give Andy some love and not just quick sneaky strokes and Ace actually meowed a real meow honestly didn't think he could because his past tries were little rasps of air. I'm just so excited right now. It's so great to see how these guys all have different bonds together.

Chfnas19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am glad you chose to let them do things in their own time. I think that is really important, especially for ones that have such a bad past. It take time and patience but the reward is amazing. Great job!!!!!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I cannot describe the joy I felt reading about your handling of your cats! What a wonderful, wise thing, to allow them to take the lead on their socialization. Bet you'd work with ferals very well! Ace reminds me of several of my ferals, who would only allow me to touch them when they were pressed against a more confident cat at first. GOOD JOB!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My family always had colony cat mostly feral. I could tell with Ace first picture that he was going to be a total little shit he just had that gleam in his eyes. Our one regret was getting the boys fixed just days after getting them. But with a ratio of 4 girls 2 boys and the adult female possibly already pregnant it had to be done. Ace was coming around nicely until they netted him for his surgery after that all trust was forgotten.

He fearless about new toys or rough housing with the girls so I knew he didn't have a weak temperament and once he lost the fear of us he became the trouble maker I knew he'd be. He my little Phoenix nearly all black with very little white on his chest but when the light hits his red highlight he turns red so very cool to see