THE BIG CAT ACT NEEDS OUR SUPPORT

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've been trying to get this legislation, which would protect the public from accidents involving incarcerated, innocent big cats, and the big cats from callous, soulless, unethical abusers like the so-called "tiger king", passed for years. Please all US residents sign and share this! It's critical we get it passed without any more delay. Big cats' lives and wellbeing depend on us.
US Residents: Support the Big Cat Public Safety Act

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope they can stop this. Some states have a lot of big cat private owners. Getting a tiger or lion is as easy as getting a dog in some places. Very troubling.:disappointed:
Actually, it's easier, they say. Yes, it's got to stop. I can't believe anyone has ever thought this is okay, from any standpoint.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wild animals are not pets. What's next? Alligators? Killer bees? Elephants?

Domestic animals have been domesticated for years to have the vicious streak subdued or eliminated from them.
While I don't agree with the term, "vicious" when used to describe anyone except some humans, I agree with your basic thought and thank you for it. And yes, alligators and elephants are in inadequate and often abusive non-accredited "care". We are working to stop this.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe vicious isn't the right word but if we look at domestic dogs for example, they have been bred and trained over many years to be accepting of humans.

Wild dogs like wolves on the other hand are fearful of people and may attack someone if they try to keep them in their home.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe vicious isn't the right word but if we look at domestic dogs for example, they have been bred and trained over many years to be accepting of humans.

Wild dogs like wolves on the other hand are fearful of people and may attack someone if they try to keep them in their home.
As most people here know, I loathe dogs and they are quite a different story from cats of any kind.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If a domestic cat weighed 400 pounds, it would be just as dangerous as a tiger! That's just not the sort of animal that should be a pet. Humans are soft and delicious and we should remember that :lol: .

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can someone explain to me more about this legislation? It says, "The act, known as H.R. 263, will make it 'unlawful for any person to import, export, transport, sell, receive, acquire, or purchase...or to breed or possess, any prohibited wildlife species,'" but if this refers to prohibited wildlife species, are they already prohibited? So what does the act change? Or does the act have a list of wildlife species that it prohibits? It's not explained on the page linked here.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can someone explain to me more about this legislation? It says, "The act, known as H.R. 263, will make it 'unlawful for any person to import, export, transport, sell, receive, acquire, or purchase...or to breed or possess, any prohibited wildlife species,'" but if this refers to prohibited wildlife species, are they already prohibited? So what does the act change? Or does the act have a list of wildlife species that it prohibits? It's not explained on the page linked here.
Big Cat Public Safety Act You can also visit BigCatRescue.org for background and additional information.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! So it looks like it strengthens the Captive Wildlife Safety Act, which was similar legislation that restricted purchase or sale across state lines or the US border. This new act adds restrictions on possession, breeding, and selling / buying within state lines.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! So it looks like it strengthens the Captive Wildlife Safety Act, which was similar legislation that restricted purchase or sale across state lines or the US border. This new act adds restrictions on possession, breeding, and selling / buying within state lines.
Right you are.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Isn't Big Cat Rescue still in a lot of trouble because of Carole Baskin? Remember they did find her diary since the Tiger King aired.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isn't Big Cat Rescue still in a lot of trouble because of Carole Baskin? Remember they did find her diary since the Tiger King aired.
She's receiving a lot of threats and bad press because of this sensationalistic BS that she was duped by the producers into having anything to do with. Big Cat Rescue has the highest rating a charity -- and it IS a charity, a rescue, not a "zoo" as the scumbag "tiger king" and his abusing, killing cronies like to portray it -- can have. There has never been one iota of evidence against Carole Baskin. I am a longtime supporter of and advocate for this safe haven for cats large and small -- they also rescue kittens from the local shelter, raising them and adopting them when they are ready -- and I know Ms. Baskin to be a person with a heart of gold, a warrior for cats. Her nemesis is in prison, where he belongs, and where I sincerely hope someone with nothing to lose will deal with him as he should be dealt with, taker of innocent lives that he is. He is a vicious criminal, a liar, and a slanderer.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't jump on me but news and other law enforcement have found her diary stating that she was at least invovled. While the sanctuary itself is good I do question her. She did make that comment about if you're going to feed someone to the tigers then you need to coat them in sardine oil. That didn't just come from the creep in prison. Why is it that no one was able to uncover his body in all of this time if he was just offed by someone or why hasn't someone seen him wherever he ran to if he was still alive? Sorry if I struck a nerve but facts are facts. She shows no emotion at all when talking about this. Also don't you find it odd that a caretaker at Big Cat just recently was attacked by a tiger there? The same one in question?

Remember Moldano is not the only person to have said something. Her ex inlaws as well as a Sheriff in FL claims that there is something fishy about her story.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't jump on me but news and other law enforcement have found her diary stating that she was at least invovled. While the sanctuary itself is good I do question her. She did make that comment about if you're going to feed someone to the tigers then you need to coat them in sardine oil. That didn't just come from the creep in prison. Why is it that no one was able to uncover his body in all of this time if he was just offed by someone or why hasn't someone seen him wherever he ran to if he was still alive? Sorry if I struck a nerve but facts are facts. She shows no emotion at all when talking about this. Also don't you find it odd that a caretaker at Big Cat just recently was attacked by a tiger there? The same one in question?

Remember Moldano is not the only person to have said something. Her ex inlaws as well as a Sheriff in FL claims that there is something fishy about her story.
No, I do not believe the detractors' statements. I think they're BS and that they're trying to gain attention/have an ax to grind. As far as her purported statements, she does have a sense of humor (similar to mine, which some people don't understand, but it can be sarcastic, as I believe these statements are if in fact she made them at all) and she, like many other people, can get very tired of this kind of $%!t being directed at her. She has suffered greatly from the negative publicity due to this trash tv series, which BTW I will never watch.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as I can tell, the "Captive Wildlife Safety Act" (already passed) and this new "Big Cat Public Safety Act" do not have anything specifically to do with Carole Baskin. Big Cat Rescue was mentioned in the thread because I gather they have some background information on their web site (I didn't visit it to see), but it seems to me that Carole Baskin is not really on topic for this discussion?

The link at the top of this thread appears to have been set up by Alley Cat Allies... they are a reputable organization by any measure.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as I can tell, the "Captive Wildlife Safety Act" (already passed) and this new "Big Cat Public Safety Act" do not have anything specifically to do with Carole Baskin. Big Cat Rescue was mentioned in the thread because I gather they have some background information on their web site (I didn't visit it to see), but it seems to me that Carole Baskin is not really on topic for this discussion?

The link at the top of this thread appears to have been set up by Alley Cat Allies... they are a reputable organization by any measure.
THANK YOU, lutece lutece and right you are. I only linked to BCR because Carole has been advocating for passage of this legislation since it was written and as a safe haven for big cats who have been abused and betrayed by the likes of the so-called "tiger king" and his ilk, she has a personal interest in seeing it made law.