The Beast

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Goin' down to bring The Beast home! They called and said she's more than ready to bust out of the place! :hyper: She's eating everything they give her and looking for more. Very active. Ready to go! I'm hoping she won't regress when we get her home. Wish us luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
She was ready to break out of the exam room! She zoomed in the room and said, "Now, by golly, we are going home! Enough is enough!" And when I got the leash and collar out, she was beside herself. She carried on the whole way home in the truck. The flag was waving high the whole time she was in the yard and she led Rick around. New blood work showed that one of the liver results decreased by 50%; the other one is still high. But with the gallbladder, we just have to deal. She's on a new (to us) Purina dog food that we can get in both cans and kibble; I had to order it directly from Purina as Chewy doesn't carry it. I think we're going to stay with the canned food for now. She's not out of the woods, even though she's feeling better. This infection could go crazy again at any time and we know that she is basically on borrowed time now. But we're thankful for the time we have.

She came up the steps into the living room and Muffin took off for the bedroom. Tabby walked over and said, "Hey, how ya doin'? Mollipop glared at her, looked up at me, and said, "I thought we got rid of her!" But then she walked over to Jackie, gave her a sniff, and about half a lick, and then walked away. Amber stayed under the couch.

She definitely needs a good bath, so we're going to put her in the shower and wash her, although we may wait a couple days til she's been home a while (Molli says she has "vet stink"). Her poor eyes are awful and her coat is flat. But she's been feeling so badly that a bath seemed minor. She goes back to the vet Friday morning and will stay there for the morning. More blood work and possibly another ultrasound, just to make sure things are doing OK. (When I received my first pension check this month, I had no idea that it would be given to the vet! This girl is an expensive baby! But just look at that face! She's just so dang glad to be home.)

Thank you so very much for thinking of our Beast!

TheBeastFebruary.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We took The Beast into the vet this morning for more blood work and another ultrasound. While the liver enzymes are coming down they're still really, really high. She's doing well, she's eating, although trying to find something she likes and continues to like is a real problem, and (for now) she's full of energy. While Rick was paying the vet bill, Jackie and I were outside and she was running and the flag was flying high. We have refills for her six meds.

But they told us to bring her back in a month for more blood work and another ultrasound....if she doesn't start going back downhill before then. And they think she will. It definitely is the gallbladder causing the problem, raising the liver enzymes. She was diagnosed with biliary mucocele, so she's pretty much on borrowed time. Biliary Mucocele is a Surgical Emergency in Dogs - Veterinary Partner - VIN The only thing that can really do anything for her is removal of the gallbladder, which, in itself, is a simply horrible surgery for a dog. And The Beast is too old; we'd never want her to go through it. It's not the money for the operation; I swear it's not. It's that we don't think she'd survive.

We're going to enjoy being with her while we can. We're not going away for a day or doing anything that leaves her alone for an extended time. We're just going to stay home with her.

Thank you for your good thoughts.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We took The Beast into the vet this morning for more blood work and another ultrasound. While the liver enzymes are coming down they're still really, really high. She's doing well, she's eating, although trying to find something she likes and continues to like is a real problem, and (for now) she's full of energy. While Rick was paying the vet bill, Jackie and I were outside and she was running and the flag was flying high. We have refills for her six meds.

But they told us to bring her back in a month for more blood work and another ultrasound....if she doesn't start going back downhill before then. And they think she will. It definitely is the gallbladder causing the problem, raising the liver enzymes. She was diagnosed with biliary mucocele, so she's pretty much on borrowed time. Biliary Mucocele is a Surgical Emergency in Dogs - Veterinary Partner - VIN The only thing that can really do anything for her is removal of the gallbladder, which, in itself, is a simply horrible surgery for a dog. And The Beast is too old; we'd never want her to go through it. It's not the money for the operation; I swear it's not. It's that we don't think she'd survive.

We're going to enjoy being with her while we can. We're not going away for a day or doing anything that leaves her alone for an extended time. We're just going to stay home with her.

Thank you for your good thoughts.
I think everyone knows that this is not about money at all. When they get that old, sometimes it's better for them not to have surgery like that. Old animals don't handle general anesthesia well. Jackie is a lucky dog. She had so many great years with your in-laws and now with you and Rick. Many animals never get one loving home. Jackie got to experience TWO. Your FIL is watching over his little girl and when the time comes, he will bring her Home with him for the next chapter. You're taking wonderful care of her. Just enjoy every moment you can knowing that everything you do for her is noticed and appreciated. :hugs:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Tail flying high is good!! Sounds like she was happy to be going home with mom and dad.💖 :hugs: