The Bathroom

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can go into ANY room in the house and close the door and my cat stays snoozing in her bed or on mine. I could even go into the pantry and close the door and she stays where she is.
BUT let me go into the bathroom and when I open the door to come out, THERE SHE IS STANDING GUARD. What's with THAT cat behavior?
Anyone else get that from their kitty?

egofailure

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is hilarious! For me, my only safe haven is the bathroom! I'm there, and she seems to be like, "Okay, he's establishing boundaries."

A couple of questions:

Does she drink the left-over water from the tub afterwards?

Does she rub up against your right away?

If yes to the first question, the sounds of the shower signal a refreshing water reward when thirsty.

If yes to the second question, she may be trying to get her scent back on you right away.

If you answered no to both questions, I have no clue! It could be curiosity or an adorable "quirk" ...

downton ali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes to number 1 sometimes, but always a yes to the 2nd question. How fascinating!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even without ANY water or toilet ..just to go in there for 5 minutes or less to stick a few curlers in my hair and when I come out...there she is standing guard at the door. ! it is strange. And if she wants to give me a gift, a few times it was one of her lifelike toy mice in front of the sink. She just has this thing about bathrooms I will never understand, I guess.!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
the bathroom is the one place cats can be most in your way and they know this :lol:
My cats always are in the bathroom with me, but once I had to lock them in there (we were moving some heavy, large furniture, and doors were open, etc.) and the sounds those cats made were almost feral. Go figure!

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always have a bathroom supurrvisor or two unless they’re deeply asleep. I don’t close the bathroom door and I can just imagine the fuss if I did shut them out! :lol:

They have their routines, too. Daisy sits in the doorway, or right in front of me on the laundry basket (just the right height to be eye level when I’m sitting down) or she circles around deciding whether to use the litter. Phoebe stands with her paws on my knees or jumps on my lap (very distracting, especially when she decides to wash my face at the same time). When Mum uses the bathroom before she goes to bed, it’s different: Phoebe goes in and sits on the basin with her back to her.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hek may or may not go in there on a "normal" trip, but let the shower or tub faucet come on, and she's right there. I MUST be supervised while in water! I might drown! Who would feed her? WHO WOULD GIVE OUT TREATS?

Thankfully, I live alone, except for Hek, so leaving the door open at all times helps.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Current cats don’t pay much attention to my bathroom habits but I used to have one that liked to crawl into my underwear when they were around my feet. I know they were warm but still I found that very creepy.
Hadji used to do that all the time! Never found it creepy, but Hadj couldn’t have done creepy if he’d tried, he was the sweetest cat. He did have a bit of a thing for the loo … Mum labelled this one “No comment” back in the day!

9BD3866B-7A07-449D-BD35-B7EEAD66D3E6.jpeg

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hek may or may not go in there on a "normal" trip, but let the shower or tub faucet come on, and she's right there. I MUST be supervised while in water! I might drown! Who would feed her? WHO WOULD GIVE OUT TREATS?

Thankfully, I live alone, except for Hek, so leaving the door open at all times helps.
Daisy’s like that! Sometimes she’s almost close enough to get wet (it’s one of those open showers and doesn’t have a curtain).

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
What do they think they’re protecting us from?? Has this behavior been noted in the wild? I’ve given up on having the bathroom door closed as Zorro seems put out, like it’s unfair I have the bathroom door closed. Like I’m depriving him of something. Getting used to this new routine but nought else to do!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not sure why they do this...but I can tell you that my getting undressed for a shower or bath TOTALLY disrupts Hek's composure. It is like she cannot fathom why I'm pulling all my fur off just to sit/stand in water! WHY DO YOU DO THAT??? WHY??? Oddly, getting undressed for bed does not bother her in the least. It seems to have something to do with the water.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure why they do this...but I can tell you that my getting undressed for a shower or bath TOTALLY disrupts Hek's composure. It is like she cannot fathom why I'm pulling all my fur off just to sit/stand in water! WHY DO YOU DO THAT??? WHY??? Oddly, getting undressed for bed does not bother her in the least. It seems to have something to do with the water.
Water is the enemy!!!