The babies are hatching! (ball pythons)

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are some pictures of the breeding season....

Female Ovulating

Female on eggs-from the clutch that is hatching today

Second female on eggs

Third female on eggs a few days ago. I had a fourth girl lay, but they were bad eggs.

My incubator, the blue light is a computer fan

The eggs this weekend, they deflate when they are about to hatch

and...........

The first baby to pip -stick its nose out of the egg

Tried to take a pic of the egg tooth, it's a tooth in that little indent of their lip.

The only pastel baby (yellow and black rather than brown and black)

One of the babies still in the sack, that's his nose.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
OMG, How cute!! The babies are like "Aww, close the lid, I want to sleep some more!!"

What are you going to do with them all?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Draco

OMG, How cute!! The babies are like "Aww, close the lid, I want to sleep some more!!"

What are you going to do with them all?
They are cute!

I'm going to keep a few girls and sell the rest. This is my small business/hobby (Slitherin' Sisters)

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Do you only breed ball pythons? I've been wanting a small snake, like a corn snake or something, for a long, long time, lol.

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow your nails are amazing! Are the adult pythons friendly to all humans, only to the ones they are familiar to or friendly to no one at all?

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Draco

Do you only breed ball pythons? I've been wanting a small snake, like a corn snake or something, for a long, long time, lol.
Yeah I only breed ball pythons, sorry, lol. Ball pythons are way cooler than corns
My largest male is only 2.5 feet and maybe 2 lbs. The males don't get huge. My boys are only a few years old so they will get a bit heavier, but I keep them on the smaller side so they don't turn into lazy breeders.

Originally Posted by Kailie

Ohhhh how exciting!
I would have loved to watch them hatch. Congrats!
Thank you! It is really cool!

Originally Posted by BabyWukong

Wow your nails are amazing! Are the adult pythons friendly to all humans, only to the ones they are familiar to or friendly to no one at all?
Thank you! I saw the zebra stickers for your nails, then saw the price, and went home and painted them myself. It's not the greatest quality, but I like them!

They are a really docile snake, which is where they get their name. Most would prefer to ball up rather than strike. Some people won't like me for saying this, but snakes aren't bright enough to know the difference between people. I don't really handle mine except for once a week when I clean their cage and they are all docile. My girls just about eat my face off when I open their tubs right now, but that's because they just started eating for the first time in 6 months (they don't eat during breeding season). Other than that, they can be a bit testy sometimes when I disturb them, but nothing more than a hiss or a twitch before I pick them up. I have been bit twice in the three years I have kept BPs and right now I'm up to 20 snakes if you include these babies. Plus, it was my fault I got bit one out of the two times.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I came home to a bunch of heads poking out of the eggs, the middle one on the bottom still hasn't pipped -poked his head out of the sack inside of the egg.

The pastel is easy to pick out -the head is really light

I'm keeping this pastel if it's female

I'm keeping this normal if it turns out a female

The bottom left is the normal I'm keeping if it turns out female

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I'm going to show my ignorance here and ask some questions, which some might think are dumb, but here goes:

1. How do you know the snake in the first picture is ovulating?

2. Not to be crude, but those eggs look huge compared to the girth of the snake. Exactly where do the eggs exit the body? I kind of envision them "throwing" them up out of their mouth, but really have no clue.

3. And how can you tell a male snake from a female one?

4. And what is special about that "normal" one that you want to keep it if its female?

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Ok, I'm going to show my ignorance here and ask some questions, which some might think are dumb, but here goes:

1. How do you know the snake in the first picture is ovulating?

2. Not to be crude, but those eggs look huge compared to the girth of the snake. Exactly where do the eggs exit the body? I kind of envision them "throwing" them up out of their mouth, but really have no clue.

3. And how can you tell a male snake from a female one?

4. And what is special about that "normal" one that you want to keep it if its female?
Lol, no problem, perfectly logical questions

1. It looks like she ate a Nerf football, or anything huge, I would never feed them anything that made them look that plump.

Here is another one I caught ovulating, they only ovulate really big like that for 4-8 hours usually. (excuse the dirty tubs, you want them dirty for breeding to get the boys excited. That's the dad of the clutch that is hatching, he was in shed so he's a bit grey)

2. The eggs are really big to be exiting their body, but they come out of the "vent" which is the nice term for where their bowels/urine exit.

3. I use a method called "popping". It's pretty crude, basically I push their sex organs inside out-which are kept between the vent and the tip of the tail. It's much easier to do when they are babies because they have little muscle strength, but I learned/practiced on adults. The other way to sex them is to "probe" them, which is to put a dousing needle into their vent towards the tip of the tail and measure how far it goes in. I'm not comfortable with that way because it's very easy to push too hard and puncture their reproductive organs, and I wasn't trained in it. I've spent hours with breeders watching them pop and letting me practice in front of them. Popping can dangerous too, but that's what I was taught and it's much more accurate than probbing. I would show a picture, but it can look pretty gruesome.

4. That one has a pretty neat pattern. It's not the typical straight laced pattern. I'm sure it's hard for anyone that hasn't looked at a gazillion normal ball pythons to see! I've had a few ball python people comment that I should consider keeping that one. It's also a lot lighter than the others, which would make it a great addition to my breeding program since she will enhance other morphs by making them lighter. It's selecting breeding pretty much.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by konstargirl

They are so cute!! Congrats. =D So what is your breeder name for breeding pythons?
Thanks
It's Slitherin Sisters

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Thanks for the answers

So the dad sits on the eggs too?
No problem. The dad doesn't sit on the eggs. The female would if I left them in with her, but I incubate them to avoid losing any. The dad was just in the tub with her to breed, but once they ovulate the females won't accept any advances.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They all came out this morning!

Later in the morning after they were all cleaned up

I'm keeping the two normal females, they have clear bellies and neat patterns.

This is the normal female I liked when it was in the egg

Her belly, clear bellies can sometimes mean they are carrying some type of gene other than just being normal.

The other normal female

And the male pastel. He has a kinked tail, not sure why it happened