The Ashera Cat

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are they really just Savannah cats? Did Lifestyle Pets shut down in 2010? I've read almost every article on this (there aren't many, though.) If anyone can help shed some light on the Ashera, I'd be grateful.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, they were Savannah cats a scam artist bought and resold for extortionate prices.

Lifestyle Pets was formerly known as Allerca, and was active at least until 2015 or so. Allerca - Hypoallergenic Cats

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'll check out this articles, thanks. I wonder if that's true seeing how they looked different from Savannah cats. Thanks for replying.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll check out this articles, thanks. I wonder if that's true seeing how they looked different from Savannah cats. Thanks for replying.
They didn’t. A lot of photos on google of Ashera cats aren’t actually the cats sold as Asheras. Many of them were f1 savannahs. Plus savannahs are a relatively new breed, so standards have changed.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I gotcha. Thanks.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are they really just Savannah cats? Did Lifestyle Pets shut down in 2010? I've read almost every article on this (there aren't many, though.) If anyone can help shed some light on the Ashera, I'd be grateful.
A scam x a few at least, see articles. The first article says the owner relocated to England and kept selling supposed hypoallergenic cats… many people never received any cat, it was written in the contract that there was no guarantee of receiving a cat! And I suppose no refund guarantee. And some were cats purchsed from other breeders selling for $260 or so which were resold for $7000 or so.

“Through geotagging photographs, an expert found that the picture of the Allerca kitten was the same cat that was advertised by a local breeder at the price of 260 U.S dollars. This means that Allerca bought the cat for $260 and resold it as a “hypoallergenic cat” at the cost of $7,000.”

The video link didn't work so google this, it was an abc interview where they proved he sold them a $260 kitten he purchased from a local breeder and then he charged abc $7000 for the kitten. The kitten was named dollar bill. They also proved the kitten was not hypoallergenic and did not have any lower level of allergic proteins. I doubt he ever had anything to do with actual cat breeding and he has been charged with numerous frauds.

Man Claiming to Sell Hypoallergenic Cats Faces Questions

Ashera Cat Scams - Life Style Pets

Lifestyle Pets - Wikipedia

He changed his name to Carradan and is maybe now selling apparently non existant way overpriced skis.

Last edited:

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
And now we know that no cat can actually be hypoallergenic. Thanks for replying!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And now we know that no cat can actually be hypoallergenic. Thanks for replying!
Yes some can have lower protein levels, Siberians are known for that, a legitimate breeder will test the parent and litter for fel d1 levels. But each cat is different, some have very low levels. I am in some Siberian cat groups and many allergic people say they can be around them without symptoms.

Here is more on the Ashera / Savanna part, he was buying savanna cats from breeders and passing them off as Ashera. I think he was claiming they were hypoallergenic as well as being a new breed.

Ashera Cats

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, I've heard about the Siberian. It and the Balinese are the only two "hypoallergic" cat breeds.

Yes, I believe you're right. I'll check out the article, thanks!