The Arty Crafty Creative Show-Off-Your-Hobbies thread!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I really admire everyone’s artistic talent! Sadly, I have none. BUT...I couldn’t resist showing you one of my mom’s hooked rugs because...well, you know...cats. :)
9AA89A3D-E1DA-4510-A424-8C98FFA3F651.jpeg
The cat is Mom and Dad’s cat, Snippet, and the rug is hanging on my wall. Mom used to go to the local thrift shop, buy old wool clothes for less than a dollar, cut them by hand into narrow strips, and hook them into rugs. She had one wall covered with shelves, and on those shelves were row after row of peanut butter jars full of strips of wool by color.

Mom died two years ago, and I still have 10 or 12 of her hooked rugs rolled up in storage bins under the bed. Some day I’ll figure out what to do with them!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I really admire everyone’s artistic talent! Sadly, I have none. BUT...I couldn’t resist showing you one of my mom’s hooked rugs because...well, you know...cats. :)
View attachment 320509
The cat is Mom and Dad’s cat, Snippet, and the rug is hanging on my wall. Mom used to go to the local thrift shop, buy old wool clothes for less than a dollar, cut them by hand into narrow strips, and hook them into rugs. She had one wall covered with shelves, and on those shelves were row after row of peanut butter jars full of strips of wool by color.

Mom died two years ago, and I still have 10 or 12 of her hooked rugs rolled up in storage bins under the bed. Some day I’ll figure out what to do with them!
Those are beautiful and real treasures. Maybe frame them or put them on stretchers and hang them.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! The first one I put up is part of a series entitled "Garden of Chaos." There are five in the series, all with various colors and different circles. Have I and II in my home. My son's friend has IV and V, and III was sold at a previous showing. My son's friend has several of my paintings and is actually why I felt confident enough to place any for sale. He bought his paintings for the cost of blank canvasses because he insisted that he pay me. I think he has seven in total. He said that when he moves into a larger home he wants more. My son, daughter-in-law, and daughter all have claims on some of my stored paintings.

Here are some more. One, the tree entitled "Family," hangs in my bedroom. The one with the gold is entitled "Stardust," and the one with all the pinks is entitled "Graceless Heart." I have "Graceless Heart" stored with other paintings waiting for me to do another show. I am on the fence is I really want to sell it, though.

but I just can't 'let go', if you see what I mean
I know what you mean. I used to do realistic portraits in pencil and the closest I got to abstract painting was impressionistic landscapes! As part of my therapy for C-PTSD, I decided to put paint on the canvas without any purpose and see what came out of it. Sometimes something nice comes out. Other times, I clean the canvas and move on.

Attachments

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! The first one I put up is part of a series entitled "Garden of Chaos." There are five in the series, all with various colors and different circles. Have I and II in my home. My son's friend has IV and V, and III was sold at a previous showing. My son's friend has several of my paintings and is actually why I felt confident enough to place any for sale. He bought his paintings for the cost of blank canvasses because he insisted that he pay me. I think he has seven in total. He said that when he moves into a larger home he wants more. My son, daughter-in-law, and daughter all have claims on some of my stored paintings.

Here are some more. One, the tree entitled "Family," hangs in my bedroom. The one with the gold is entitled "Stardust," and the one with all the pinks is entitled "Graceless Heart." I have "Graceless Heart" stored with other paintings waiting for me to do another show. I am on the fence is I really want to sell it, though.

I know what you mean. I used to do realistic portraits in pencil and the closest I got to abstract painting was impressionistic landscapes! As part of my therapy for C-PTSD, I decided to put paint on the canvas without any purpose and see what came out of it. Sometimes something nice comes out. Other times, I clean the canvas and move on.
These are just wonderful. I can see where you could certainly sell them but wouldn’t really want to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They're just gorgeous, Elphaba09 Elphaba09 . I have two dark charcoal walls in my lounge and Stardust would look beautiful!

I don't really have the space anymore to paint though I have still got plenty of supplies.

This is one of the very few abstracts I've tried, probably about 10 years ago.. It's in acrylic. I was aiming for a sort of sky galaxy nebula effect.. Not dark enough though in a few places. Needs more contrast. Hmmm. Perhaps I can do something with it. (I eventually found it in the wardrobe in the spare room!). ;)

20200202_113703.jpg

:lol:

This is why I stick with graphite and colour pencils lol.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I make handmade soaps and other bath and body products.

This is Be Happy. This fragrance combines Citrus, Rose, Musk, and Lilac.
1580652427566.png

This is a seasonal soap called Baby' It's Cold Outside. The scent combines an essential oil blend of lavender, peppermint, rosemary and eucalyptus.
1580652455909.png

This is Hippy Daze. The essential oil blend of patchouli, spearmint, eucalyptus and anise.
1580652477579.png

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They sound lovely. What other sorts of body/bath products do you make?
For now I make soaps, lip balms and solid perfumes. I used to make lotions, cuticle balms, room sprays, sugar scrubs and lotion bars. But it was way too time consuming so I had to scale back. Soap is my favorite to make as each batch is unique and different. No two batches come out the same!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girlfriend (AKA: "Casper's Girl-Human") makes crocheted stuffed toys.

Crochet-Kitty.jpg

This is what she's working on, right now... A crocheted "Casper." :)

The blanket in the background is her creation, too.

She doesn't just make them from existing patterns. She designs the patterns herself.
She has a page at Blogger.com where she posts the patterns that she designs.

If you want to see more, go to: Free Patterns by H

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update on the crocheted kitties:

Casper's Girl-Human has finished writing out the pattern to make a crocheted cat doll.
Now out kitty has a friend.

CatDolls.jpg

If you're crochet-er and would like to make one for yourself, check out her blog where you can see and download the pattern for free.

If you try making a cat doll, post a picture and let us know how you did. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Those are great!! Really cute :)

I could take a cat to work.. Lol