The Arty Crafty Creative Show-Off-Your-Hobbies thread!

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I noticed that there seem to be lots of people here who are either arty, or have really creative hobbies, but there doesn't seem to be a thread showing our varied talents off? (Apologies if there is and I haven't come across it.)

I've seen people mentioning that they crochet, knit, make things, build models, paint, sew etc and I thought it would be great to showcase what we can do, big or small, whatever it is :)

So, er, I'll start..... Since this is my bright idea. D'oh!

I draw in my spare time. Can't paint for toffee but work in pencil (graphite and colour) and occasionally try my hand at pastels.

The pencil portrait is a dog called Luna, A3 size, I think some sort of Lab cross. She belonged to a friend of my Mum's but she is sadly no longer with us (Luna, that is).

20200126_005900.jpg

The horse is called Locxley, a beautiful ex dressage competition horse who I am privileged enough to ride most weeks. Done in pastels, roughly A3 or tiny bit smaller. Will probably do this again but in pencil.

20181223_210133-1431x1792.jpg

Anyone want to share? (please lol)

💖

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I primarily crochet stuffed toys like this penguin for one of my nieces.
EMh6a6-WwAAH4Pu.jpg

And this unicorn for my cousin's daughter. I made this one in about 10 hours on Christmas Eve night until 6am Christmas Day.
EMog3zCX0AEQw3m.jpg

I've also started doing more stitching. I've done cross-stitching a lot, but for this Kraken that I made for my brother, I wouldn't say it's embroidery per se, but similar.
ENadheqXUAEDxL5.jpg

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I crochet, tat, embroider temari balls, draw Celtic knotwork, and make ornamental geometric models (do an internet search on "great dodecahedron").

Temari balls in various stages of completion:
Close Up of 2  balls.png

Close Up of Pink Face.png

IMG_20141216_120123059.jpg

Celtic knotwork:
Chalice Knot.jpg

Note: This knot is copyrighted by me. Members of TCS are welcome to use it personally, but please don't re-distribute it.

Margret

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I make jewelry based on designs in other cultures, specifically, Mongolian culture. I love The Hu, a Mongolian rock group (who's one their European tour right now, and every venue was sold out before they began). They have gorgeous traditional instruments. Pic one is a leather necklace that I made, inspired by a set of their drums, which have a studded leather "fringe" Pic two I just literally finished. It's insired by one member's topshur. I made it from guitar picks (one uses a pick with the topshur, too). The picks really are jewelry findings made to look like real picks (mine has a silver metal pick behind it for stability. The wings symbolize the Garuda bird in their mythology, and it's in the song lyrics for Wolf Totem. The arrow is on his topshur:

ono drum necklace.jpg

The inspiration:

onos drums.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow!

We are a talented bunch indeed :)

My sister tried to teach me to crochet but I couldn't even get the starting-off bit right. Can't knit either. My niece would love the unicorn, they're her 'thing' at the moment.

The Celtic knotwork is gorgeous!

The jewellery is unusual, I love the green on the second necklace.

Go Catsite lol!

Out of curiosity are these just hobbies for people or do you do anything with the completed works?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Celtic knotwork is gorgeous!
Thank you.

Out of curiosity are these just hobbies for people or do you do anything with the completed works?
Most of what I do is just hobbies, though they also make good gifts. The original of that knot is hanging in my church - in the tradition of Celtic knotwork it's intended to be a sacred design. I'm a Unitarian Universalist, and one of our symbols is a flaming chalice (see the corners of the central knot). We're currently investigating the possibility of selling copies of this knot as a coloring sheet, to benefit our building fund.

Margret

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We really do. Some fabulous stuff here but sure there must be more people being shy :)

Having posted a dog and a horse I thought I'd try to find a cat lol. Not too keen on the ones I've done, they were in pastel but on horrible paper. At the moment the tiger is the only one not in pastel or on yucky 'corrugated' paper.

This one is in coloured pencil on hot press water colour paper. Paper size bit larger than a3.

Unfortunately she will never be finished as I have totally fluffed up the 'ruff' area and it has been erased and laid down again so many times I can't fix it. Hey ho!

IMAG0190.jpg

Texaskitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I noticed that there seem to be lots of people here who are either arty, or have really creative hobbies, but there doesn't seem to be a thread showing our varied talents off? (Apologies if there is and I haven't come across it.)

I've seen people mentioning that they crochet, knit, make things, build models, paint, sew etc and I thought it would be great to showcase what we can do, big or small, whatever it is :)

So, er, I'll start..... Since this is my bright idea. D'oh!

I draw in my spare time. Can't paint for toffee but work in pencil (graphite and colour) and occasionally try my hand at pastels.

The pencil portrait is a dog called Luna, A3 size, I think some sort of Lab cross. She belonged to a friend of my Mum's but she is sadly no longer with us (Luna, that is).

View attachment 319426

The horse is called Locxley, a beautiful ex dressage competition horse who I am privileged enough to ride most weeks. Done in pastels, roughly A3 or tiny bit smaller. Will probably do this again but in pencil.

View attachment 319429

Anyone want to share? (please lol)

💖
Wow those are wonderful!

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I paint, design fabric on Spoonflower, play around with clay, hand sew, knit, crochet, paint furniture, make wreaths, and draw. My drawings tend to be of people's faces, but my paintings tend to be abstract. I have actually sold several of my paintings. If I can get a good picture of the one my husband insisted that we keep--he tends not to like my abstract work because he likes to know what he is looking at--I will post it. The picture I have does not show the colors very well. None of these really do because my phone camera is not all that great.

Attachments

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are two more paintings: The above-mentioned one that my husband likes despite it being abstract and the one I am considering giving to my mother-in-law for her birthday since she admired it so much on her last visit. The first is "In the Midnight Garden" which features irises, my favorite flowers. I was surprised when my husband not only loved the painting but could recognize that there are irises in it. I had planned to sell it in the last showing, but he was upset at the thought of someone else having it. The other is called "The Resting Samurai." The orange bits are koi. Japanese legend states that koi swim up waterfalls and face death bravely like a samurai.

Attachments

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
These are beautiful. The colours in the Midnight Garden are gorgeou! I really like the very first one you put up as well. :) ❤

I would love to be able to do big, colourful abstract paintings but I just can't 'let go', if you see what I mean. I can't even do more loose versions of animal portraits (seen some lovely water colour hares for instance, but in purples and blues and sort of 'sploshed'). I have tried but it just doesn't seem to work for me :) Ha, picky detail it is :)

Have you any more?