The adoption wheel continues to turn.....

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're in the process of adopting a 3 yr old hound cross named Max from the local SPCA. I went in today and set up a date for an interview and talked a bit with the coordinator. She had a couple questions, but said the application looks "great"
. I'm SUPER excited. We're the only ones who have put in an application for this guy, and I'm thrilled that it seems to be going well.

I took him for a little walk, and HOLY COW is he a handful on the leash. You'd think he was on the trail of a killer, the way he pulls. He also doesn't do well when he runs into other dogs while he's leashed (he's better when off). He had a little barking frenzy and a super hard pull that made me end up on my butt in the snow
(it's very icy around here because of the weather we've been having). I expect he'll be a bit better on walks around here, where there aren't dozens of dogs running the same trail every day, marking it along the way, but even so there's definitely some obedience training classes in Max's future (the very near future).

The interview is on Tuesday morning (they're closed until then for new years) and I don't know how I'm going to wait!

sunnicat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you! I'm glad it's all going so well!

It's so hard to wait for these things, but it will all be worth it in the end!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG a hound mix! I've had 3 hounds/hound mixes and I will tell you that they will follow their noses, sometimes to the point of being oblivious to anything around them! Obedience training is definitely in order to get Max under control for you. We called Ellie Mae "Miss-behavior" in spite of formal training and a lot of persistence and patience on our part (picture a hound dog that Ellie Mae Clampett would have dragged in and you got Ellie Mae). Her problem was that she was too smart for her own good and knew how to manipulate the system.

We want pictures!!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would definately look into an Easy Walk harness. They are great! I also saw some leash that are like bungy cords. It lessens that dog's ability to pull. I want to get one for each of our dogs!

Other than that Congrats!