The 2022 Gardening Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a stupid question, do flower seeds have an inner seasonal mechanism? ❓❓❓ Bear with me here is I'm really not that dumb, but I've always wondered how flowers now how to bloom at certain times of the year.
Also, on seed packets it will tell you blooms in 75 days or 365 days.... I understand certain flowers are cold weather and some need the sun and heat.
My dilemma is butterfly weed seeds are one of those that don't bloom until a year, so...if I were to start my seedlings now in the fall will they bloom next fall? I doubt it since it will likely be cold outside.
Have you ever made a post and almost answered your own question? ⁉⁉
Our experience is thus:
We planted butterfly weed seeds in the spring, and while they sprouted and grew to about a foot tall, there were no blooms. The plants died back in winter, and it wasn't until their second season that any blooms developed, as they have each season since. It was the same with the bare-root Asclepias that we got; growth with no blooms in year one, and blooms in year two. I guess that those plants are not for the impatient.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Our experience is thus:
We planted butterfly weed seeds in the spring, and while they sprouted and grew to about a foot tall, there were no blooms. The plants died back in winter, and it wasn't until their second season that any blooms developed, as they have each season since. It was the same with the bare-root Asclepias that we got; growth with no blooms in year one, and blooms in year two. I guess that those plants are not for the impatient.
Same experience here I just want blooms earlier lol. I may experiment and see if I start inside and keep it over winter. Regardless they won’t bloom until Spring 2024. No, the are not for the impatient lol

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An experiment this winter. With the price of food now (Iceberg lettuce, the cheapest type is $2 a head!), I decided to try to grow a few things this winter under lights. The bin is not very big but I have a couple of romaine plants, leaf lettuce, bunching onions and a couple of determinate tomatoes. It kind of ‘scratches the itch’ to garden during these dreary cold months. I will also be doing some winter sowing in the next couple of weeks- some perennials that I want for the flower gardens.
640EFE4C-3C60-4073-A630-FF6CB17D8092.jpeg

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An experiment this winter. With the price of food now (Iceberg lettuce, the cheapest type is $2 a head!), I decided to try to grow a few things this winter under lights. The bin is not very big but I have a couple of romaine plants, leaf lettuce, bunching onions and a couple of determinate tomatoes. It kind of ‘scratches the itch’ to garden during these dreary cold months. I will also be doing some winter sowing in the next couple of weeks- some perennials that I want for the flower gardens.View attachment 439692
Lettuce should do pretty well, along with other plants that like cooler weather. You might have to get an extra heat source for things like tomatoes, beans, etc.

There's things like heat mats/cables etc., you can purchase if you really get bitten by the bug.

Keep us updated! Curious to see how it goes.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a stupid question, do flower seeds have an inner seasonal mechanism? ❓❓❓ Bear with me here is I'm really not that dumb, but I've always wondered how flowers now how to bloom at certain times of the year.
Also, on seed packets it will tell you blooms in 75 days or 365 days.... I understand certain flowers are cold weather and some need the sun and heat.
My dilemma is butterfly weed seeds are one of those that don't bloom until a year, so...if I were to start my seedlings now in the fall will they bloom next fall? I doubt it since it will likely be cold outside.
Have you ever made a post and almost answered your own question? ⁉⁉
Yours is one of those great questions that only seems dumb.

I used to manage a garden shop, and I dispensed gardening advice. I've been gardening for more than 50 years.

:running:

Yike! I said that!

Is this the butterfly weed you're referring to? Or something else? Let me know and I can help you figure it out. EDIT: It appears to be so, based on what N NY cat man said.

Some perennial plants take a while to get established, especially really long-lived types like Dictamnus (gas plant).

1672194678856.jpeg

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My dad loves hot peppers. I know he’s gotten some really hot ones from friends he chopped and saved for chili making. I like some spice; but I’m trying to be kinder to my insides. :lol:

I’m getting my gardening itch scratched with an amyrillis my aunt sent me for Christmas. It was our first Christmas without Grandpa and he loved growing them at his assisted living home. We gave him those often for either Christmas or his January birthday. I never cared for them myself until now. I decided to name this one and name it after him. :redheartpump: He’s growing very well. Its like he’s bigger every time I look at him; growing inches every day!
image.jpg

And look! The Burpee 2023 catalog arrived! :woohoo:

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad loves hot peppers. I know he’s gotten some really hot ones from friends he chopped and saved for chili making. I like some spice; but I’m trying to be kinder to my insides. :lol:

I’m getting my gardening itch scratched with an amyrillis my aunt sent me for Christmas. It was our first Christmas without Grandpa and he loved growing them at his assisted living home. We gave him those often for either Christmas or his January birthday. I never cared for them myself until now. I decided to name this one and name it after him. :redheartpump: He’s growing very well. Its like he’s bigger every time I look at him; growing inches every day!
View attachment 439731
And look! The Burpee 2023 catalog arrived! :woohoo:
Just be careful with it around your cats. They are toxic for cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.