The 2022 Gardening Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had some orchids bloom for the first time in 7 years and they have outdone themselves.
They have been fed, talked to, bribed, music played to them and they still wouldnt flower and all of a sudden they come out. All in their own time I suppose.
Jcatbird Jcatbird we dont know what they are..can you identify?? They were rescues too.
P1280547.JPG

P1280538.JPG
P1280550.JPG

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Silver Crazy Silver Crazy That looks like it is one of the Diplocaulobiums. ( Dendrobiums) I can’t pin it down to exact species or hybrid but that is my guess without being able to see all the pseudobulb and how the leaves are arranged. Hybrids that are un tagged are nearly impossible to ID 100%. Absolutely gorgeous and obviously a very happy rescue! Stunning amount of flowers. I would call it Diplocaulobium silver crazy! Lol Any scent?

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Silver Crazy Silver Crazy That looks like it is one of the Diplocaulobiums. ( Dendrobiums) I can’t pin it down to exact species or hybrid but that is my guess without being able to see all the pseudobulb and how the leaves are arranged. Hybrids that are un tagged are nearly impossible to ID 100%. Absolutely gorgeous and obviously a very happy rescue! Stunning amount of flowers. I would call it Diplocaulobium silver crazy! Lol Any scent?
Cant tell if it has a scent..I got the flu..lol..Yep flowers kept on coming and coming..last year had some buds but they fell off.
We having a very wet but for last couple of weeks a warm spring so i think it might have suited them..will look up the name you gave and find out a bit more

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my! The flu? Get well quick! So sorry you are sick! Wet and warm suited the plant but maybe not so much with getting sick? Feel better! Maybe the plant sent you get well flowers! :bouquet: More from me and the Clowder!
Cant tell if it has a scent..I got the flu..lol..Yep flowers kept on coming and coming..last year had some buds but they fell off.
We having a very wet but for last couple of weeks a warm spring so i think it might have suited them..will look up the name you gave and find out a bit more

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not exactly about gardening, but there is a large black walnut tree on our neighbor's property. I have been wondering why the squirrels have been digging up my flower bulbs, even after using repellant. Then I noticed that there is not a single walnut on the tree, whereas normally there are thousands of them. Any ideas on how to protect the flowers from those nasty little beasts?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My aunt told me to cover my bulbs with pine needles. They can be raked away before spring but its supposed to help. I’ve done it but the squirrels weren’t really causing problems so I don’t feel like I really tested it.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My aunt told me to cover my bulbs with pine needles. They can be raked away before spring but its supposed to help. I’ve done it but the squirrels weren’t really causing problems so I don’t feel like I really tested it.
I mulch my retaining wall garden with a thick layer of pine needles every spring but it has never stopped the chipmunks and squirrels from munching on any new bulbs I plant. They do seem to leave the existing bulb plants, like lilies, alone.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I mulch my retaining wall garden with a thick layer of pine needles every spring but it has never stopped the chipmunks and squirrels from munching on any new bulbs I plant. They do seem to leave the existing bulb plants, like lilies, alone.
Do you think feeding them would deter them or just attract more. I’ve read the mainly go after garden veggies when they can’t get enough water so a water source is supposed to help.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you think feeding them would deter them or just attract more. I’ve read the mainly go after garden veggies when they can’t get enough water so a water source is supposed to help.

I have food and water out for squirrels and chipmunks all summer long and that hasn’t seemed to stop them from eating my bulbs. But other creatures like voles also eat bulbs.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Squirrels, chipmunks, and voles will not eat daffodils, snowdrops, winter aconites, scilla, chionodoxa bulbs. Deer do not eat the above ground growth in spring. The squirrels etc do eat tulip bulbs - as the Dutch did in the hunger winter of WW II. And deer love the above ground spring growth.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a stupid question, do flower seeds have an inner seasonal mechanism? ❓❓❓ Bear with me here is I'm really not that dumb, but I've always wondered how flowers now how to bloom at certain times of the year.
Also, on seed packets it will tell you blooms in 75 days or 365 days.... I understand certain flowers are cold weather and some need the sun and heat.
My dilemma is butterfly weed seeds are one of those that don't bloom until a year, so...if I were to start my seedlings now in the fall will they bloom next fall? I doubt it since it will likely be cold outside.
Have you ever made a post and almost answered your own question? ⁉⁉

Status
Not open for further replies.