The 2022 Gardening Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well here in So. IL I'm already pruning my coneflowers and harvesting seeds, should have more blooms before fall. I just pruned my blue sea holly and maybe I'll try those from seed.
Sea holly will self sow too so if you dropped any seed you will have an abundance of plants. My patch doubled in size last year due to self sowing. You can grow crepe myrtle in Illinois? I love it, but haven’t found any hardy here in Massachusetts.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Sea holly will self sow too so if you dropped any seed you will have an abundance of plants. My patch doubled in size last year due to self sowing. You can grow crepe myrtle in Illinois? I love it, but haven’t found any hardy here in Massachusetts.
Uh Oh, I will have to go out and pick up the clusters I dropped since it's a raised garden bed and I only have so much room. Yes, we are in zone 6a. I took the liberty and googled and found this: Crape Myrtle Varieties for Cape Cod – Crocker Nurseries

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
CatladyJan CatladyJan I love the cone flowers!! I bought a Warm Summer blend from Burpee in seeds this spring but it was too late for me to get them started so I'm waiting for next winter. I read a lot of the reviews and they suggested starting in the refrigerator; which I've never done, but I copied it down. I really hope I can get them to do well. They are so pretty!

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Uh Oh, I will have to go out and pick up the clusters I dropped since it's a raised garden bed and I only have so much room. Yes, we are in zone 6a. I took the liberty and googled and found this: Crape Myrtle Varieties for Cape Cod – Crocker Nurseries
The Cape is zone 7, while I am zone 6, borderline 5 depending on the winter. That is why I used to tell my customers they had to protect their macrophylla hydrangeas. On the Cape they are beautiful, but flowers buds can be killed here without protection.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here in WNY, we are in zone 6a, while a few miles away, and closer to the lake, it is 6b. Still, there a lot of plants that I would like to grow, but it wouldn't be practical.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My outdoor garden is melting in the heat. We did plant a dogwood tree, though we should have waited until fall. Now I am working on my indoor plants/garden. I have recently bought a lemon bush, three dragon fruit cacti, three air plants, and a money tree. DH bought me some minature red roses, and I hope to keep them alive inside until cooler weather. I went a bought supplies for the lemon bush today. And if you are wondering what a lemon bush is, so am I. I bought from a new (to me) nursery and that is the way it was listed. The limes and other citrus fruit were described as trees. Apparently, this blooms the first year, it's already pretty large, and that's good. I have had bad luck with citrus trees in the past.

N NY cat man , I would give up my outdoor garden and paint myself a green yard for snow! Soft, fluffy snow. :cloud9:

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
CatladyJan CatladyJan I love the cone flowers!! I bought a Warm Summer blend from Burpee in seeds this spring but it was too late for me to get them started so I'm waiting for next winter. I read a lot of the reviews and they suggested starting in the refrigerator; which I've never done, but I copied it down. I really hope I can get them to do well. They are so pretty!
I was lucky to get a lot of plants on sale last year and they have spread a little more this year. Yes, the article I'm reading suggests cold stratification as well. Lots of seeds need to go through that. When should you plant CONEFLOWER seeds? (so they survive)

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Couple of questions for all your garden enthusiasts:
1. Do any of you have ghost lillies Grow Spider Lily For Its Colorful Flowers That Bloom Midsummer to Fall Mine are in bloom, just haven't been able to take photos.
2. Have any of you in the colder zones or 6 and above tried winter gardening? Seed Starting 101: A Guide to Winter Sowing in Milk Jugs I've been tempted but with winters getting warmer I chickened out. Maybe I'll try just a couple.
3. What's the humidity like in your area - here we call it soupy sometimes you can go outside and see the moisture around the street lights in the summer.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My outdoor garden is melting in the heat. We did plant a dogwood tree, though we should have waited until fall. Now I am working on my indoor plants/garden. I have recently bought a lemon bush, three dragon fruit cacti, three air plants, and a money tree. DH bought me some minature red roses, and I hope to keep them alive inside until cooler weather. I went a bought supplies for the lemon bush today. And if you are wondering what a lemon bush is, so am I. I bought from a new (to me) nursery and that is the way it was listed. The limes and other citrus fruit were described as trees. Apparently, this blooms the first year, it's already pretty large, and that's good. I have had bad luck with citrus trees in the past.

N NY cat man , I would give up my outdoor garden and paint myself a green yard for snow! Soft, fluffy snow. :cloud9:
The novelty of snow would wear off rather quickly after experiencing a few of those multi-foot storms off of Lakes Erie or Ontario. Which is why I ready my snowblower each September, because you never know........

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My mother stopped by today and wanted to go see how DD’s watermelon plant was doing. I’ve been watering close to dark so I haven’t really looked well. Its a good thing she did because she found one hiding among the weeds! :lol: Which she also started to pull for DD. Grandmas really are the best!:lol: I had DD put some newspaper under it for now.
500C0D0B-2ED7-4E86-9710-BD9A44684D94.jpeg
4ABE1392-90C7-4B25-A555-F0A64FA73204.jpeg

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No flower pictures today, except tangentially. Rather, a couple of critters that I spotted today
The praying mantis made her return to her old haunts.
IMG_2183_kindlephoto-622855314.jpg

And I came across a Pearl Crescent butterfly, also in the black-eyed Susan
IMG_2184_kindlephoto-622816129.jpg

There was another butterfly as well, but I couldn't get a photo of it. It was pale yellow, with small black spots at the wingtips, and it was roughly the size of the Pearl Crescent.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does anyone know the name of this crop? I see it every summer around here. It looks so much like corn but it’s very short for that and the top isn’t like corn. I managed to get a picture while DH was driving.
1DA2FED4-A80D-487F-9598-FAC0B093774E.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.