The 2022 Gardening Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
The first of our butterfly weed was started from seeds, and on the packet it said '365 days to bloom', and they were right. That was 4 years ago, and it seems that each year they have developed more. Not necessarily spreading, but taller and more robust stalks, with larger heads to them. Those that I got as bare root plants last year are doing better also.
A curious thing, though. All of those plants were supposed to be the same- the 'Summer Zest' variety of asclepias, and yet one is different. It has rounded leaves instead of the long, pointed leaves of all the others, and they are corrugated instead of smooth, but it is developing the clusters of blossoms just like the others. Curious.
hmmmm well I can tell you that I purchased the butterly weed seeds (orange) flowers and turned out they were the common milkweed with pink/purple flowers. It is possible you got a different one in the mix:) as there are many varieties, so far all my milkweed/butterfly weeds leaves look the same even though the new ones I planted are supposed to be the butterfly weed. Last year I downloaded the plant identifier for the trial time and found out what was what in my garden.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm going to say at least 12" depending what type they are (and I always get confused), but I beleive the butterfly weed with orange flowers has deep taproots so I would thin when feasible. They will not bloom until next year.
I *think* my neighbour's had pink flowers last year, but not positive. Didn't think mine would bloom this year, though, since they're pretty slow growing. And, unfortunately, where I planted them isn't a great long-term location for them, so will have to rethink what to do with them.

Thanks! Will check it out. :)

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is what Burpee sold as simply butterfly weed:
IMG_2093.JPG

What Breck's calls ' Summer Zest'
IMG_2094.JPG

The outlier in the Breck's package
IMG_2095.JPG

And the Common Milkweed that I started from seed. I doubt that it will flower this year, but probably next year.
IMG_2096.JPG

Also, the phlox are about to bloom
IMG_2102.JPG

The Cheyenne Spirit coneflower had a visitor
20220701_082153.jpg

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
This is what Burpee sold as simply butterfly weed:View attachment 424848
What Breck's calls ' Summer Zest' View attachment 424849
The outlier in the Breck's packageView attachment 424852
And the Common Milkweed that I started from seed. I doubt that it will flower this year, but probably next year.View attachment 424853
Also, the phlox are about to bloomView attachment 424857
The Cheyenne Spirit coneflower had a visitorView attachment 424858
Gorgeous now that is the butterfly weed I want lots of!!!! Is that lavender or catmint behind it? That is the color scheme I've been trying to acheive purple, orange and then something red and yellow. I had purchased the tropical butterfly weed from Etsy but it didn't make it.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gorgeous now that is the butterfly weed I want lots of!!!! Is that lavender or catmint behind it? That is the color scheme I've been trying to acheive purple, orange and then something red and yellow. I had purchased the tropical butterfly weed from Etsy but it didn't make it.
That is the 'Goldsturm' black-eyed Susan, which will need to be divided, as it is starting to develop the circular form. I figure that I can get 3 or 4 separate plants out of it. Where I will put them is the question.
If, however, you mean the second photo, that is the 'Wizard of Ahhs' Veronica.

Last edited:

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
That is the 'Goldsturm' black-eyed Susan, which will need to be divided, as it is starting to develop the circular form. I figure that I can get 3 or 4 separate plants out of it. Where I will put them is the question.
If, however, you mean the second photo, that is the 'Wizard of Ahhs' Veronica.
Ahhh, yes Veronica that's the one I was looking at.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had our first harvest from the garden today. The string beans were ready to pick, so we had some with our supper tonight. They are the 'Provider' variety, and proved to be nice and crunchy, and tasty, too. The tomatoes are coming along, but they are a couple of weeks away yet at the very least.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I picked my first ripe tomato today only to find it rotten on the bottom. :bawling:
That's why I have gone to vertical trellises for my tomatoes- it keeps them off the ground and away from things like slugs. This year, I refined the system by using plastic poultry fencing as a support for the vines.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It looks like blossom end rot to me. They are in pots on my patio. From what I read it can be a water issue or too crowded roots. The pots are big and I’ve been watering twice a day because of the heat. I’m pretty sure I got a patio variety this year. The last time I had 8 tomato plants in the garden I tossed well over half of everything because they were bad.

We do get slugs but otherwise the plants look full and healthy so I’m not sure if they are bothering those. They usually like my sunflowers. We get stink bugs and they seemed to love them last year. I may have to try the kaolin clay. Especially since neem oil isn’t a good option. The clay wasn’t easy in my spray bottle.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My bare root river birch is not only producing leaves but it has produced another tiny two inch tree so it will eventually become a clump or birches.
Years ago, I needed some stakes for row markers in a vegetable garden, so I cut some from a nearby bush. Imagine my surprise when my 'stakes' sprouted leaves. I tried the same trick with cuttings from an overgrown rose bush, and they sprouted too. You can't keep Mother Nature down.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
More from the garden
Glamour Girl phloxView attachment 425698
The 'different' asclepiasView attachment 425699
A coneflower whose proper name is lost in the mists of timeView attachment 425700
Coral Craze coneflowerView attachment 425701
Butterfly Kisses coneflowerView attachment 425702
Million Dollar Blue delphinium View attachment 425704
Still to come: black-eyed Susan and gladiolus
You have such a beautiful garden and such fancy names :) Love the yellow butterfly weed, I think that is the tropical.

Status
Not open for further replies.