The 2022 Gardening Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Sure, let's start a new thread now. Do you have any plans yet for 2022?

We haven't planted the vegetable garden for a few years now. Neither of us has had the time. Our garden was here when we moved here 17 years ago and it's just a mess. It needs to be completely redone. This year we want to disassemble it - Take down the fencing, the pressure-treated timbers, weed it, etc. Long-term we would like to make raised beds out in that area, but doubt that will get done this year.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm excited to grow vegetables again this year. Hoping the seeds from two years ago still germinate well. I may look into arugula because I love the flavor and it is hard to find it when shopping online for groceries unless it is an arugula/spinach mix.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I mostly do flower gardening and I did a lot of work over the past few years and have most of my perennials set up. Plan to move the raised gardens for tomatoes and maybe some herbs.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a trip to Europe tentatively scheduled for late June into early July. Might not plant too much as they won't get any care while I'm gone, but I will try some potted herbs if they aren't all sold out by the time I return. There are enough perennials and bulbs so the place won't look bad. Also, I will try to get a small addition done and a new porch this year, so the place won't be too conducive to planting flowers, anyway.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm making a new 4x16 ft. raised planting bed. I need the room to transplant some of the perennials that need dividing, plus I want to plant something other than just tomatoes, like maybe string beans or cucumbers, using the trellis set-up that worked so well last year for the tomatoes, or maybe some green peppers. It all depends on what is available.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My artichokes, lupine and verbascum are all up. I planted some herbs today- I don’t need them but I did need to get my hands dirty. I have a nectarine tree on order. I just need to order my seed potatoes. I am going stir crazy. Bad weather (bitter cold with wind, snow and ice lately) keep me indoors. Since Bill is in the hospital and I can’t visit him, I am without human contact 24/7 - the cats and dogs aren’t much in the way of conversation! I talk to my kids about every 2-3 weeks and I do talk to Bill every day but given nothing is going on in our lives we don’t have much to talk about. I need to get out and work in the yard to keep myself busy!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
From Johnny's Selected Seeds, we ordered Carmen pepper seeds. Remember them? They were the utterly gorgeous red sweet Italian peppers we grew back in 2020. Carmen - Organic (F1) Corno di Toro Pepper Seed | Johnny's Selected Seeds VERY prolific!

We also ordered the yellow ones this time around. Escamillo - Organic (F1) Corno di Toro Pepper Seed | Johnny's Selected Seeds

If they produce anything like they did in 2020, we will be well pleased. Honestly, Carmen is the perfect Italian pepper!

That's as far as we got.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I planted garlic back in late Oct/early November. I'd like to grow Luffa again this year and see if I have better luck. Hubby said last night we need to plant a whole garden of okra. lol I told him maybe we could also plant some zucchini and watermelon.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
My biointensive neighbor who swaps hand collected seeds is encouraging but intimidating. I might just go fallow and buy great veggies from neighbors, not sure: it’s the weeding that daunts me. The neighbors used to take my horse poop and leave me carrots in the mailbox! My neighbor says we have enough plastic tubing from timed watering systems to circle the earth six times!

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My search for Cherry Baby tomato seeds came up empty- none of the local places had them. Michele found them online, but for $10.00 per pack, and bought 2 packs and put 1 in the freezer for next year. I got 2 other varieties of cherry tomatoes in the meantime, and some cucumber seeds as well. She also sent away for common milkweed seeds, and I will be starting all of the above shortly.
Also, while working up the (muddy) ground of the newest planting area, now that most of the snow is gone, I noticed the first blossom- a dwarf crocus- of the year. The tulips and daffodils are starting to show too.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Burpee has cherry baby tomato seed for $7.95 a pack: Tomato, Cherry Baby Hybrid

There might be a local seed library or seed swap group that might have seeds that you can't find elsewhere

My gardening is limited to indoor houseplants so not as fun as an outdoor garden. I need to repot the plants I got late last year.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Burpee has cherry baby tomato seed for $7.95 a pack: Tomato, Cherry Baby Hybrid

There might be a local seed library or seed swap group that might have seeds that you can't find elsewhere

My gardening is limited to indoor houseplants so not as fun as an outdoor garden. I need to repot the plants I got late last year.
That's what these are; Burpee item #54310A. She got them through Amazon, but beyond that I have no other information. For that price, she got a whole 25 seeds per pack. Yay.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
We still have about a foot of snow on the ground but it’s melting fast since we have had temps in the 50’s for a couple days. I put the high boots on yesterday to do a quick survey of the yard. I had three large yard bags of pine needles I had gathered last fall and set up against the garage waiting to mulch my gardens in spring and some creature, probably raccoons tore the bags to shreds. And I have a big pile of pine branches that fell in the yard after an ice storms a few weeks ago. If it stays way I may be able to do some cleaning up in another week or so.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My search for Cherry Baby tomato seeds came up empty- none of the local places had them. Michele found them online, but for $10.00 per pack, and bought 2 packs and put 1 in the freezer for next year. I got 2 other varieties of cherry tomatoes in the meantime, and some cucumber seeds as well. She also sent away for common milkweed seeds, and I will be starting all of the above shortly.
Also, while working up the (muddy) ground of the newest planting area, now that most of the snow is gone, I noticed the first blossom- a dwarf crocus- of the year. The tulips and daffodils are starting to show too.
Just throw some of the end-of-the-garden tomatoes in the compost heap or where you plant your tomatoes. You'll probably get volunteers popping up next year. That's how I got cherry tomatoes for years.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
That's what these are; Burpee item #54310A. She got them through Amazon, but beyond that I have no other information. For that price, she got a whole 25 seeds per pack. Yay.
My local Fleet Farm had them in several different brands. Didn’t check prices though

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just throw some of the end-of-the-garden tomatoes in the compost heap or where you plant your tomatoes. You'll probably get volunteers popping up next year. That's how I got cherry tomatoes for years.
Unfortunately, because they are a hybrid variety, there is no guarantee that any plants thus produced will stay true to the originals. Also, I have looked at all the local places that sell seeds, and while they all carry a good selection of cherry tomatoes, none has the particular one that I want. I even started looking back in January, when the new seeds were first being put on display. It seems that everyone has Sweeties, but after the experience of last year, I want no part of them.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have grown large red cherry plants for years. They're my favorite cherry tomato. I usually have seeds I've saved from previous years.

Status
Not open for further replies.