The 2022 Exercise Motivation Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you have any Asian supermarkets near you? They'll probably sell it and the staff will be able to tell you which kind is which.
I've never been to any, but yes, lots of Asian markets near me, so I will have to choose one and check it out. That tofu steak looks yummy. :yummy:

I haven't been for any walks the last few days, but I did do a couple hours of yard work on Thursday, so I'll count that as exercise. Might go for a walk later today, however, it looks like it could rain at any time, so maybe not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I had a bit of a walk around the cat enclosure yesterday. There's a few places where the fence top has come loose and a couple of holes in the net where tree branches went through. I need to have a day repairing it, but I'm not feeling very motivated to do that right now. Still too chilly to spend all day standing still outside.

I had a long walk yesterday though, followed by an hour of yoga. Going to do my usual 90 minute power yoga routine this afternoon.

How's everyone else doing?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
We haven't posted in our exercise thread this month! How's everyone doing?

rubysmama rubysmama M maggiedemi Bri5 Bri5 Lari Lari Jem Jem susanm9006 susanm9006 strider rose strider rose ?

I'm glad I didn't bother doing any fence repairs last week because it snowed again last weekend. Started on Friday, cold but no snow on Saturday, tons of wet, heavy snow all day Sunday and Monday. It was worse that February.

So my exercise was mainly shoveling snow and doing yoga. I went for a long, wet walk yesterday, followed by 30 minutes stretching. Today I spent about 3 hours outside. I moved a lot of tree branches that had come down in the snow and started on the repairs. One corner of the fence had almost completely collapsed so I took it down and rebuilt it almost from scratch.

Still a lot more to do. I haven't even been down into the bottom half of the enclosure yet and I can see there are some huge branches down. Hopefully get a nice day tomorrow so I can do a lot more.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yikes! That's a lot of snow Norachan Norachan . We got some flurries on Monday, but not enough to shovel, and it all melted the next day.

I haven't been for any walks in a few days, but did do a couple hours of raking in the yard yesterday, and will do some more today.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't even started my exercise program yet. :paperbag:
It's not an excuse but things have been....crazy....around here. The road to "getting my crap together" has been a struggle, but I'm still plugging away at it....or at least trying to...

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
What are bridges?

We had a lovely sunny day yesterday so I spent about 4 hours rebuilding one collapsed corner of the enclosure fence. I'm thinking of putting up a little platform and some steps in that corner so the cats can sit up there and enjoy the view. Next thing I need to do is section off the bottom part of the enclosure. We have some huge dead trees that need to be taken down. Have to make sure the cats don't go anywhere near the lumberjacks while they are working.

4 hours of outdoor work and 30 minutes yoga yesterday.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Anyone else still at it?

I've been doing lots of outdoor work recently. I usually start with about 30 minutes power yoga as a warm up, then a couple of hours of sawing wood, dragging logs around and chopping down prickly vines, then about 60 minutes of yin yoga to stretch after all the hard work. It's almost time to paint the deck and plant flowers for the spring. That's my favourite part.

:cloud9:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The odd walk between April showers. But that's about it.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
We've been having a lot of rain this week too, but it does make digging easier. Looking forward to doing some more long walks once all the yard work is finished. I might even go horse riding this week, it the rain lets up.

:crossfingers:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
We've really been neglecting our Exercise Motivation thread.

(I'm sure some of you are thinking "Oh no, she bumped it again. Did she have to?" ;))

I had a couple of really busy weeks at the end of April. There was so much outdoor work that needed to be done, but I managed to finish it and plant some flowers around the deck so now I'll be able to enjoy afternoon tea outdoors. It's still a bit cold, but it's nice out there mid afternoon.

So two weeks of digging, hauling, sawing, painting and chopping have left me with pretty muscly arms. I've been doing long walks and long yoga practices this week.

How's everyone else doing?

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m still going to my weight trainer twice a week. We recently changed up the routine; instead of only doing a full body workout every time, we are rotating upper body, lower body, and full body. I’ve definitely noticed the difference in intensity with the more focused workouts.

During the last two years, the pandemic basically put my hubby out of work, so we added a few sessions for him to stay in shape. When work started back up, the crews were all achy-breaky-whiny, except for hubby. 😂

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Me, not so much.
How's your garden, have you been able to work on it much?
I’ve definitely noticed the difference in intensity with the more focused workouts.
I've heard that's the best way to do things. Gives your muscle groups time to recover between work outs too.

I had a nice long walk through the woods this afternoon, followed by an hour yoga routine to stretch hamstrings

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How's your garden, have you been able to work on it much?
Haven't done much to it yet. It's mostly perennials, so I have to wait for them to be up, before I can really start anything. Lots of sprouts now, so should be able to weed and dig around soon. But have to be careful with weeding, as last year I "weeded" some of my pretty little blue Forget Me Nots. :disappointed:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I told my co-worker about "metabolic exercise" a few weeks ago, and she started doing it a few times a week. We are both very like minded about exercise...as in we hate it. :lol: But just like me, she got a little "squishy" over the last few years and wanted to do something about it. So now that she started it, it really put the pressure on me to finally get on it.
Soooo....
I did my first work out EVER yesterday!!!
It went well. The first video I tried was only about 8 minutes long, and after completing it, I felt like I should do a bit more so I found a second one and did one cycle of it. It should have been done 2 times, but because I was just adding it to another one I already did, and I didn't want to over do it, I only did it once. So I completed 15 minutes of exercise and overall, it felt like something I could imagine myself doing more regularly.

Now I have to try and figure out a schedule to keep.

They say to leave a day of rest in between work out days, but my work schedule makes this difficult. So I may have to work out 2 days in a row followed by possibly 2-3 days of rest then another 1-2 days of exercise followed by 1 day of rest.
So basically I would exercise Monday and Tuesday mornings
Rest Wednesday and Thursday
Exercise Every other Friday morning on the days I'm off.
Exercise on Saturday
Rest on Sunday.

Many of the routines are "total body", but some are area specific, so the days where I exercise 2 days in a row I can make them a bit more area specific to not overtax everything.
Also some of the "total body" routines are easier than others so adding to them to make them more specific should be good. That's what I did yesterday. I did a total body "for beginners" and added a full leg/butt routine. My legs are sore today but the rest of me feels fine. So for today, I could do the same beginners routine with a shoulder/arm or tummy specific routine to give my legs the day of rest...

Anyway, now I'm just rambling.....but YAY!!!! I ACTUALLY did a work out!!!!

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Good job!
And yes, sticking to it is the key.

I have to admit I haven’t been as active as I should be, and it’s showing. After doing a mere 1:20 minute plank (I once had it to 2:15), he asked if I’d been keeping up with my pilates and yoga. My answer was, “errmmm…” 👀

I know what I need to do, but motivation has been down lately. Not just for exercise, but also in other aspects. :thud:

Status
Not open for further replies.