The 2022 Exercise Motivation Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone...First time posting in this thread.
I'll admit, I didn't read thru this thread before posting but have a question regarding certain types of exercise and if you feel they are helpful.
I've been trying to get my life back on track and recently been looking into how to incorporate exercise in my routine. I have a very physical job so I am "burning calories" but I'm burnt out (physically and mentally) so I need to find a way to incorporate something achievable. Burn out isn't fun...and although I force myself to just get 'er done at work...I have nothing left at the end of the day/week. My waist line continues to creep upwards even though my diet isn't that different, and I feel like I'm at a tipping point. I need to do something...but don't have any energy. Stress levels are high so I know this contributes to a lot of my issues. I need something that doesn't feel overwhelming so I will actually do it.
Things like "Just take a walk or go for a hike" are just not in my wheel house right now. That to me seems way more time consuming and takes planning. Plus I don't do well outdoors in the winter. I also have HMS and certain types of exercise and training are difficult and can painful. I refuse to go to a gym...not my jam, and not only can I simply not justify spending money for exercise...we really can't afford it anyway, so a personal trainer and exercise equipment is out. So now...after all the "Negative Nancy" excuses.:rolleyes2:........ I have seen and read a few things about Metabolic Exercise and was wondering if any of you follow something similar to this. It seems very similar to High Intensity Interval Training....but not quite as "intense". To exercise 3-5 times a week for 15 minutes and simply do a little bit a cardio a few times sounds like something I can do right now...

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure what HMS is, but honestly strength training has been better for me than most cardio in terms of weight loss and body size.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure what HMS is
Sorry...Hypermobility Syndrome. My joints are too lax, ligament and tendons are weak all over so prone to joint injury. But having had this so long without a proper diagnosis (whole other story) my body compensated in other ways that I need to careful of as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Stress levels are high so I know this contributes to a lot of my issues. I need something that doesn't feel overwhelming so I will actually do it.
Hi Jem, welcome to the thread. I'm very active, I hike and ride and spend a lot of time outdoors, but my absolute favourite thing to do is yoga. Have you thought about trying that? There are so many good videos on YouTube that you could practice from. Yin yoga is a very good way to reduce stress. It's a lot of deep stretch poses held for up to 3 minutes, which helps to relax and stretch your muscles and improve circulation to your joints. There are also a lot of flow practices that are more high energy and get your heart rate up. you can do 30, 45 or 60 minutes depending on how much time you have.

It's finally starting to warm up here. I've been so busy over the past few months, but I'm starting to see light at the end of the tunnel. I walked for 45 minutes and did a 45 minute power flow yesterday. A long, muddy 90 minute walk and 40 minutes of yin yoga today.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi Jem Jem . Welcome to our exercise thread. :wave2: Some of us (not me) are more active than other of us (me). :lol:

Although I don't do yoga, like Norachan Norachan , I wondered if that might be something that could work for you. 🧘‍♀️

I'm planning to go for a walk today. Haven't really been walking lately, as it keeps snowing. Soon, it must be going to melt. At least that's what I keep telling myself. :sigh:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm good, strider rose strider rose , just waiting for winter to go away. Good for you, walking to the store and back. Sorry though for the pain in your legs and knees. 🤗

I see you there, purraising posts, M maggiedemi . I know you're on a needed exercise break, but know you're still in my thoughts, and I hope you'll be well enough to get walking again soon. 🤗

Bri5

Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was still trucking along nicely until last week. Lady fatigue iykwim. 🙄 I have to say, this is the most consistent I have been with working out in a decade now. I have not stopped, just paused until I can realistically get back to my regularly scheduled programming. :)

Welcome Jem Jem !

Bri5

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Monday I biked. Yesterday I did arms, planks, bridges, stretches. Today I biked again and did arms. I want to get back to HIIT but I only do that when I schedule it so I need to try a weekly schedule I think.

Bri5

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Anybody still at it?

I think I am in a decent groove of biking twice a week, arms and stretches once a week, and HIIT or barre the other 2.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still doing my normal, just nit posting about it because I don't want to be repetitive.

Bri5

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Still every other day on my rowing machine, 30-35 minutes. I just moved up my resistance level, though. There are eight levels and I am now on level five.
That's awesome!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Anybody still at it?
Yes! I just keep forgetting to post here.

It's getting much warmer here, we had heavy rain a few days ago and now all the nasty snow has gone. We have got evil amounts of pollen at the moment, but I got some antihistamines and they're doing the trick. I've been doing daily walks and yoga practice. Hoping to go horse riding next week, first time this year.

:hyper:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Course spring will bring with it those April showers, so walks might still be sporadic.
When I was taking my walks outside last year, I figured I would be fine in the rain because I carried a parasol for the sun. So I stayed out, but the wind blew the rain in from the sides and I got soaked.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Took my first outdoor walk of the year today. Sidewalks were still ice covered in places but roadways were dry. Even though I have been rowing all winter, walking let me know that there are some muscles in my butt and thighs that haven’t been used nearly enough. Still it was wonderful to be out getting some fresh air.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Took my first outdoor walk of the year today. Sidewalks were still ice covered in places but roadways were dry.
That's great you got outside. It's good to get fresh air. About your sidewalks, doesn't the city salt them?

I've gone for a few walks this week. Yesterday was really warm, so I wore sneakers and a spring jacket. Today back to winter coat and gloves though. But it is still March, so can't really complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.