The 2021 Gardening Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
N NY cat man , I just LOVE the dark purple tulips. I had a big patch at my former home and have planted them here but the bulbs either get eaten or do not grow. Maybe I have to try again this fall. Your spring flowers are all beautiful.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
N NY cat man , I just LOVE the dark purple tulips. I had a big patch at my former home and have planted them here but the bulbs either get eaten or do not grow. Maybe I have to try again this fall. Your spring flowers are all beautiful.
That's the funny thing- we have lived here for 16 years, and aside from those that we planted in front of the house last year, all of the tulips in the back gardens were here when we bought the place, and I don't recall any blooms like these.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder N NY cat man if they somehow get moved around underground to a growing position or perhaps were buried in recent years by squirrels. I think they are probably the culprits in digging all my bulbs up. Either them or chipmunks.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder N NY cat man if they somehow get moved around underground to a growing position or perhaps were buried in recent years by squirrels. I think they are probably the culprits in digging all my bulbs up. Either them or chipmunks.
We had a problem with squirrels too, but I applied Repels-All, especially after I planted all of those new tulips last year, and it did the job, as there was no evidence of any digging after that. It doesn't smell all that great, but to keep the critters at bay, I can tolerate it.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Aunt told me to lay down pine needles over my bulbs in the fall to deter them from being dug up. I really haven't had an issue with it; but I did that the first few years. We were getting a thick later of pine needles in one corner of the yard from the neighbor's trees. I'm down to one tree; but I bet the neighbor on the other side would let me rake up a few wheelbarrows in the fall. Her whole property is pine trees on one side. :lol:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My Aunt told me to lay down pine needles over my bulbs in the fall to deter them from being dug up. I really haven't had an issue with it; but I did that the first few years. We were getting a thick later of pine needles in one corner of the yard from the neighbor's trees. I'm down to one tree; but I bet the neighbor on the other side would let me rake up a few wheelbarrows in the fall. Her whole property is pine trees on one side. :lol:
Thanks for the tip! My alley has five 60 year old pines so we pine needles in abundance. I am planning on planting more tulips this fall and will try the pine needle trick.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh hopefully that works as well for you then! I don’t know at what point to remove them. Mine grew up through the pine needles. I think they helped like mulch.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just took a walk around the back gardens, and there is a problem. Two of Michele's Asian lilies were fine this morning, but are almost completely stripped of leaves now. I suspect a return of those scarlet lily beetles that plagued us last year, although I haven't actually seen any. I did find clumps of- um- excrement on them though. I guess that It's time to declare unrestricted warfare on the miscreants.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I’ve tried several times to get pictures posted but I didn’t take them horizontally and some were too large. So third times a charm?

My new roses. They need some tlc. Especially the yellow one on the left. They were all 50% off; but DD ran DS over with the cart and that one hit the ground along with DS. 😣 You can see this is where the grass is still struggling to grow too.
AEED8157-6E30-4FC8-9021-CB3900CE1B38.jpeg

Sideways tomatoes but you get the point right
4E8EF863-6647-467B-9E42-BBFAAEEFDA7A.jpeg

This may be the largest rose I’ve had on my rose bushes!
AE26DE12-B669-4174-8C2B-A3435079E5C0.jpeg
E5FA53D3-E747-4340-AEB2-B1B5FDB1C0EA.jpeg

I put the reds on the right since I got quite a few this year. I’m also becoming addicted to the little pot critters. 😁
4C69F02C-D33C-47B8-A5F2-5BB6BDC65D0E.jpeg
003D3246-DBBA-426E-AB73-6B89C1ABB4D2.jpeg

Upside down... Maybe just turn your phones around or stand on your head? My hummingbird feeder is on this double hook also.
3684B213-8B19-4929-8D67-F6F26A9F8870.jpeg

I think they called this color Blackberry Currant. I am in love with it!! 😍
D03459EF-6982-4282-937C-4CCC26242D30.jpeg

ADA5F69F-89C2-4348-AC56-753B90527528.jpeg

FE3944CA-60D2-439E-9886-1B0E565E030D.jpeg

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I just took a walk around the back gardens, and there is a problem. Two of Michele's Asian lilies were fine this morning, but are almost completely stripped of leaves now. I suspect a return of those scarlet lily beetles that plagued us last year, although I haven't actually seen any. I did find clumps of- um- excrement on them though. I guess that It's time to declare unrestricted warfare on the miscreants.
sounds more like rabbits to me. They eat Asian lilys to the ground if I don’t fence them.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, how depressing. Though they're gorgeous, I've never tried growing Asian Lilies, as I've heard even if they are fine one year, sooner or later the lily beetles will find them.

I’ve tried several times to get pictures posted but I didn’t take them horizontally and some were too large. So third times a charm?
Beautiful flowers! I foresee lots of butterflies, and bees, in your garden this summer.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, how depressing. Though they're gorgeous, I've never tried growing Asian Lilies, as I've heard even if they are fine one year, sooner or later the lily beetles will find them.

Beautiful flowers! I foresee lots of butterflies, and bees, in your garden this summer.
This is actually the third year we've had those plants. They didn't do well in the first location, so I moved them to their present spot, where they did well- and the beetles found them. Neem oil worked for a while, but only to a limited degree. I've done some research, and many of the products don't list those particular beetles, so I guess it will be hit or miss until I find something effective.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Two of Michele's Asian lilies were fine this morning, but are almost completely stripped of leaves now.
Oh, that's a shame! I see loads of those growing around here and they never look as if anything is eating them. I wonder what keeps the beetles away?
I love all of your colorful pots
Me too! Purple and turquoise are two of my favourite colours. I have some of those blackcurrent colour petunia too MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles What colour do you call the ones in your upside down planter picture?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I now know for sure what has been chowing down on Michele's lilies, as I caught one of the spawn of Satan at it just now. It indeed was one of those beetles, and this even after a neem oil application this morning. This particular beetle is no longer with us, but still I worry about it's brethren. The other question I have is how they found our few lilies in such a short time.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I’m on the lookout for the hummingbirds too! They were here a few weeks ago before I got the feeder hung and when I only had one plant for them. Last year the bees loved my sunflowers but those are just starting to sprout. I try to keep the pollinators happy!
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles What colour do you call the ones in your upside down planter picture?
We’ve been calling it Pink Lemonade. :lol: I think I have the tag in the garage still. I’ll look later today.
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles What a beautiful variety of colors! <3 Are those many different types of roses on your stairs or other flowers??
A number are calibrachoa. They are my favorite and come in so many colors! Let me get a close up so I can list it better...

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This particular beetle is no longer with us, but still I worry about it's brethren. The other question I have is how they found our few lilies in such a short time.
Oh, I'm sure, unfortunately, he has a large extended family that will be coming to avenge his demise. And, you said you've had those lilies 3 years, so not a short time, really. And now, you'll probably have them for a while, as they won't want to leave the all you can eat lily buffet. :(

Here's my trio of spring bloomers. Those leaves on the upper right are Allium. They're giant ones, and clearly planted way too close together, but looking forward to seeing them when they reach their height and bloom.

1621367806150.png

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On a more positive note; after almost 6 weeks of nothingness, the asclepias- just a fancy name for milkweed- are showing signs of life, as are the butterfly weed. Now, if I can just keep the aphids that swarmed them last year at bay....... Also, the purple bells clematis has it's first buds appearing, and the surviving coreopsis is starting to show new growth. I'll have to see if I can get a replacement for the one that didn't make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.