The 2021 Gardening Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We were supposed to get rain and high winds, so Michele cut off all of the fully-opened tulips and passed them out to our neighbors, lest they get wrecked. Since then, with the cold and wind gone for now, more buds have opened
20210501_165217.jpg
IMG_1492.JPG
Also, the 'Storm Cloud' amsonia is almost ready to blossom.
20210501_165158.jpg
It is a shame that, like the dwarf crocus, the blooms on this last for such a short time, but they are pretty while they last.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Beautiful tulips N NY cat man I had one tulip flower from the bulbs I planted a few years ago. They don't really like it here, so I was happy to get even one flower this year.

C catapault do you remember you suggested I plant grape hyacinth on the little garden I made in Chicken's memory? They've all started to open and her hosta are waking up again too.

CsGarden19_R.jpg

Crocus from earlier this year.
CsGarden13_R.jpg
C'sGarden17_R.jpg
CsGarden18_R.jpg

I'm looking for some Higanbana (Red Spider Lilies) to plant here too.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
We were discussing succulents over in the Indoor Plant thread, and W WillowMarie wanted to see our succulents. Since mine are outdoor and I'd have to flag myself to move them over here, I pre-empted the need :biggrin:
We were also discussing 'death blooms', a term I hadn't heard before and didn't realise occurred with succulents. I'm really used to them with my garden full of Bromeliads, most of which produce an often spectacular flower and then die.
Please don't ask me the names!! :paperbag:

succulent5.JPG

succulents2.JPG

succulent.JPG

succulents3.JPG

Fuzzy Kalanchoe.. love these
succulents4.JPG

succulent6.JPG

succulent7.JPG

succulent8.JPG

succulent9.JPG

succulent10.JPG

This one has formed a relationship with a tree fungi
succulent fungi.JPG

And these are some Brom flowers. The plant with the pink ones will die (but there's plenty more.. they're throwing pups), the orange ones won't.
succulent broms.JPG

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Very nice mani mani I don't know the names of them either, but I have a small one or the stripy kind in your picture. I'm very impressed with your garden Ganesh too.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Very nice mani mani I don't know the names of theme either, but I have a small one or the stripy kind in your picture. I'm very impressed with your garden Ganesh too.
I might just have a little bit of a Ganesh fixation (and these are just the outside ones)..

Ganesh reflecting
ganesh sitting.JPG

Ganesh having a nice lie down
ganesh resting.JPG

Ganesh strumming a few Sanskrit mantras
ganesh musician.JPG

My most treasured hand carved dancing Ganesha
ganesh dancing.JPG

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
mani mani your succulents are beautiful, and so nicely potted in adorable planters. Mine are just plunked in the ground, where they're running wild. :lol:

Here's the one I posted in the other thread. It started as just one hen, then had lots of chicks. Last summer the hen had the death bloom, and died. Now there's an empty space where she was. Guessing the chicks will spread into that space.

1619956959329.png

This is my other outside succulent. It also started with just one hen, but now the chicks are all about the same size. Wonder if any will have a death bloom this year.

1619956828805.png

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mani mani Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!!

I know a couple names. The first pic on the left lower is a type of string of, maybe string of dolphins(?)

The second down on the left is a crassula

The one with the elephant person should be a rhipsalis

Next one down a Haworthia, specifically zebra

The ones growing within the fungus is wild! Nature is so neat

mani mani Love Ganesh with the moss growing on it. Was that on purpose or did it grow like that over time?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My irises are getting ready to bloom already! My mother said hers are too. It seems early but it's been hot! So maybe they are just being thrown off by the weather. I'm tempted to save my peas for the fall because of this heat too.

My yard is starting to look much more green. We are still watering a lot; especially with the heat, but it's getting there. DH had to mow part of the yard where the grass didn't get torn up this winter. It was making me itch walking through it all! :lol:
I know where my dislike of the smell comes from. Growing up we had tons of lilac bushes. One summer we had some in the house in a vase and then neglected to toss them out soon enough. The smell was awful and I have never been able to stand the smell since.
Oh I did that with a vase of yellow roses when I graduated from Middle School. They were tightly packed in the vase and my mother dumped it before I had friends come over for a sleepover. The smell nearly filled the house. It was AWFUL! :barfgreen: And you know middle school aged girls are so DRAMATIC! We were so grossed out. :rolleyes3:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here's a new picture of my Little Leo Doronicum, now that more flowers are blooming:

IMG_2500.jpg

And here's another early perennial. Anyone know its name?

IMG_2503.jpg

And also my wall garden tulips. These are new this year, as I took the advice given to me last year, and removed all the tulip bulbs after they finished blooming. I think I'll do that every year, as this way the odds are better that I'll get more tulip flowers, and less just tulip leaves.

IMG_2514.jpg

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama I just planted 32 Little Leos (Leopard's Bane). I love their cheery yellow flowers.

The veggie garden is almost planted. Strawberries and asparagus are perennials and doing beautifully. I need to go to cut asparagus; that will be my third cutting. I love the stuff. We planted lima beans, red beets, white potatoes, onions, cabbage, peppers, tomatoes, and corn. We finally found some sweet potato slips and they'll go into the garden probably today (the garden is really wet right now and I hate disturbing the wet soil). I've never tried to grow cabbage, so that will be interesting. Rick is thinking we'll have 15 rows of different corn with 25 plants in each row. It would really be nice to get some corn! Last year, we had the drought. And the year before that, the raccoons beat us to the corn.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lettuce getting pretty big, and rhubarb catching up.
PXL_20210506_122606273.jpg

And update on tomatoes and carrots. Only 2 carrots out of 7(?) germinated, so thinking of planting some more. Seeds were from last year, but surprised by how will most haber germinated. Maybe the carrots aren't as happy how I stored them. We'll see! Catnip getting big!!

PXL_20210506_122618918.jpg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still too cold here to put my tomatoes and peppers out, three 38 degree nights leading into next Wednesday! Carrots, radishes, and onions look good, despite the two inches of hail that covered the ground last week. The lawn is looking beautiful, we lost two two-year-old trees, it has been a rough spring......Most of my perennials are up, weeds are growing the best out of everything!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Status
Not open for further replies.