The 2021 Gardening Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh man! It was a cold wind when I was out watering the lawn this morning. I'm actually not going out again. It's just too cold with the wind. I went out in a hoodie over my clothse but sent DS in to get my rain coat because the wind kept blowing the water on me. And blowing off both hoods I was wearing. The grass hasn't sprouted yet. It'll have to be fine becuase I'm just not doing it. :smash:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have had snow mixed with rain off and on yesterday and today, with temps in the 30s. I fear for some of the new plantings, as they haven't had time to get established yet. All of the new plants are bare-root, and while most of them have emerged and started greening up, I don't know how they will handle the cold predicted for the next several days.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We've also been having a snow/rain mix the last couple of days. Guess the hostas know what they're doing by not waking up yet. All the other perennials hopefully know what they're doing by getting an earlier than usual start this spring.
Fingers crossed that everyone's plants (and grass seed) survive the chill, and that warmer weather returns soon. :sunshine:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I woke up to the ground covered in snow yesterday here in Nebraska. so far the perennials look fine, but we have some low 20's coming up in the next 5 days or so. I covered my carrot seeds and radishes with heavy plastic, the carrots won't sprout with this kind of cold weather. High in the '40s. I also covered quite a few of my little perennials that were struggling, I want to keep them from getting set back. I just covered them with quart mason jars. Geez, between the wind and the cold, setting up my raised beds is going to take a while longer, I still have time, it seems I always rush the season! I always try to set it up where I'm not so rushed and totally exhausted when spring gets here and it never works out!

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The good news is that the tomato seedlings are doing well. I have to rotate them daily so they grow straight, but that's no big deal. In spite of the yucky weather, the new daylilies are doing well also. One of them, called 'Hello Screamer', is almost 6" high now, and it was planted only 10 days ago. I guess Breck's sells good stuff. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the weather, though.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was looking at several things from them but haven't ordered. I'm glad to hear they sell quality plants!
We are repeat customers of theirs. Michele bought over 100 tulip bulbs last year. I haven't counted, but it seems that most, if not all, of them are up and budded out and, weather permitting, should be in bloom in a few days or so. The only thing is that if you see a plant that you like- order it. We got a flyer that was shipped with the bulbs, and there were several plants that we liked, but they were sold out already.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One other point: if you order bulbs that have to overwinter, they won't ship them until September or October. Likewise, the plants like Michele got me- all bare-root- ship for spring planting.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've ordered from Brecks, Gurneys, and SprungHill for over ten years. SpringHill sends the best plants but are more pricey. All promptly replace any that die over the winter. You get MANY different plants this way. Though my favorites are those that grow well with little help! I buy All my vegetable seeds from Gurneys and Burpee.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I’ll have to start making lists. I’ve wanted a light yellow rose bush or maybe cream for Noodles but I haven’t found one yet and our best nursery closed this winter. They were where I found my yankee doodle lilacs.

I usually buy from Burpee and have good germination. I got some elsewhere last year when people went nuts buying garden stuff and I didn’t have as good germination with some. I replanted and eventually it was fine.

I need more irises to fill in what we lost to the septic installation. I’d love more tulips too but I think I need a new spot.

I just got these Super Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes:
370C3316-74AD-4640-8BC9-2F372B75A807.jpeg

I had to run in to Walmart and last year they were hard to find so I went ahead and got them now. DH was in charge of watering the grass seed today and it took so long we went shopping for new sprinklers. 😏

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The 2 varieties of cherry tomatoes that I planted were from Burpee. One is called 'Sweetie', but I can't remember the other one. Normally, I would just buy 2 plants, for $1.25 each, and call it good, but Michele had other ideas, so now I will have 16 to find room for.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really like the Super Sweet 100 because they are high yielding. They also get massivly tall. But then when some get spots or damaged there is always more coming on. Sometimes I have tons of them to pick. A few years ago I let most of the garden rest and used one bed for 8 tomato plants. I had so much troule with bugs that year that I think I tossed 3/4 of what I picked all year long! Last year was much better but I'm undecided which larger tomato I will choose. It's a little early but the garden centers have them out. The soil looked bone dry when I brought them home but they took the water well when i got them in here. Poor plants.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I was away for two months over a Queensland summer that had WAY more rain than usual. Overgrown is a mild way of describing my garden.. I'm so glad we're heading into winter so I can deal with it. It's also coming into our best veggie planting time, so I'm preparing my usual 'greens and tomato' patch.
On a sad note, my great big flowering gum couldn't cope with it all and died. :(

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really like the Super Sweet 100 because they are high yielding. They also get massivly tall. But then when some get spots or damaged there is always more coming on. Sometimes I have tons of them to pick. A few years ago I let most of the garden rest and used one bed for 8 tomato plants. I had so much troule with bugs that year that I think I tossed 3/4 of what I picked all year long! Last year was much better but I'm undecided which larger tomato I will choose. It's a little early but the garden centers have them out. The soil looked bone dry when I brought them home but they took the water well when i got them in here. Poor plants.
Last year, I planted Sweet 100s on a horizontal lattice, about 15" above ground. Also, I pruned the snot out of them regularly. We had tons of tomatoes, and the only ones we lost were to a raccoon.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of my vegetable seeds are from True Leaf Market. I'm using the ones from last year and hoping they are still viable. So far lettuce and rhubarb are good, we'll have to wait to see for the carrot and tomatoes. At least since I started so early I have time if they don't germinate and need to buy more.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Last year, I planted Sweet 100s on a horizontal lattice, about 15" above ground. Also, I pruned the snot out of them regularly. We had tons of tomatoes, and the only ones we lost were to a raccoon.
We have stink bugs here and I think they were the biggest culprite. I'm always watching for horn worms and caterpillars too. But I'd find the stink bugs on the tomatoes where the dark spots would form and rot. I bought a sprayer and Kaolin clay last year but didn't end up using it. I've tried neem oil before. I just need to be vigilant I guess.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two very cold nights in a row, so most of my pots came in. Catnip is still outside. No new sprouts yet, but maybe it hasn't been consistently warm for some of the seeds to germinate. We'll see!

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The tomato seedlings- Cherry Baby and Sweetie- are about 2" high now, and I have started thinning them out. They should be in good shape by the time they can be put in the ground, although I may try a few in containers just to see how they work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.