The 2021 Gardening Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Is it too early for a gardening thread? I know some of us are still in the sub zeros, but spring can't be that far away.

What are you planting this year? Any exciting plans for your garden? Share your pictures and ideas here.

I'm thinking of making a spud tower this year, has anyone ever tried one?

How to build a spud tower: an edible treasure hunt with a guaranteed bounty

I wonder what are the best kind of potatoes to plant. :think:

The rest of the garden is looking very dead and brown, but I'm hoping to see some greenery soon.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Despite the fact that there is snow on the ground, and it is snowing now, on one ofthefew bare patches of garden I saw where the dwarf crocus are poking up. I want (hope?) to expand the existing raised bed and put in one or two others to make room for more perennials and maybe a few vegetables, other than the usual tomatoes, which I am going to try growing on a trellis this year. Big plans, and maybe they might even come to pass..

Last edited:

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is NEVER to early to talk gardening! While I don't think I will be able to plant for awhile yet, I have started my onions, hot peppers, herbs, and some artichokes (which I have never grown before). The artichokes are not perennial here, but I thought it would be fun to try them. I have never eaten artichokes so am looking forward to trying them if they are fruitful. I just thought they were a different looking plant. If all goes well I will be planting corn, carrots, cucumber, watermelon, cantaloupe, pole beans, summer squash, English peas, mustard greens, collards, turnips, black beans, pinto beans, pie pumpkins, red beans, blackeyed peas, onions, bunching onions, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussel sprouts, bell pepper, several types of hot peppers, several types of tomatoes, lettuce, and potatoes. I think that is it other than the herbs - lots of dill, sage, parsley, marjoram, and basil. I also have garlic that I planted last fall. I am trying to grow enough that I can save on the grocery bill (and it will be organic). I haven't really decided about flowers yet other than the marigolds, bread seed poppies, and edible flowers that will go into the vegetable garden. I would like to get some foxglove, borage, climbing old roses (have to get a arbor first), some of the newer colors of coneflower, and a blue spruce, to name a few.
As for the type of potatoes, it depends on what you are using them for - baking or things like mashed potatoes. I usually plant red and russet types.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It is NEVER to early to talk gardening! While I don't think I will be able to plant for awhile yet, I have started my onions, hot peppers, herbs, and some artichokes (which I have never grown before). The artichokes are not perennial here, but I thought it would be fun to try them. I have never eaten artichokes so am looking forward to trying them if they are fruitful. I just thought they were a different looking plant. If all goes well I will be planting corn, carrots, cucumber, watermelon, cantaloupe, pole beans, summer squash, English peas, mustard greens, collards, turnips, black beans, pinto beans, pie pumpkins, red beans, blackeyed peas, onions, bunching onions, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussel sprouts, bell pepper, several types of hot peppers, several types of tomatoes, lettuce, and potatoes. I think that is it other than the herbs - lots of dill, sage, parsley, marjoram, and basil. I also have garlic that I planted last fall. I am trying to grow enough that I can save on the grocery bill (and it will be organic). I haven't really decided about flowers yet other than the marigolds, bread seed poppies, and edible flowers that will go into the vegetable garden. I would like to get some foxglove, borage, climbing old roses (have to get a arbor first), some of the newer colors of coneflower, and a blue spruce, to name a few.
As for the type of potatoes, it depends on what you are using them for - baking or things like mashed potatoes. I usually plant red and russet types.
Artichokes! Yum. My Sicilian grandmother would lightly stuff them with garlic and breadcrumbs and then steam them until they were cooked. Then you could peel off a leaf, dip it in melted butter and scrape off the soft inside of the leaf with your teeth. So delicious and fun to eat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I want (hope?) to expand the existing raised bed and put in one or two others to make room for more perennials
That sounds like a great project! With your woodwork skills you're sure to make a god job of them. Please post some pictures if you get them done
I usually eat them steamed, in curries or in potato salads. Do you know if any type of potatoes are OK with less sun and heaps of rain? The monsoon wipes out half of what I plant most years.
Artichokes! Yum. My Sicilian grandmother would lightly stuff them with garlic and breadcrumbs and then steam them until they were cooked.
Wow, sounds gorgeous!

:drool:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Gandma made stuffed artichokes often but I had a thing about plants as a kid and never wanted them. :lol:

I must have gotten 8 seed and plant catalogs within 2 weeks time around the end of January. My kids were laughing every time they brought in the mail and there were more. So I guess word is out that I'm a gardener. I've never even heard of some of the places! :lol:

I bought my seeds back in January. I got 4 kinds of beans, corn, carrots, lima beans and peas. I will buy tomatoes and peppers as plants in May sometime or maybe late April. It's just about warm enough to start clearning the gardens. My yard is still all torn up from the septic system installation; incuding where i had the corn last year. I need to see if the ground is soft enough for me to work it without a tiller. DH and I have started looking into purchasing a small one. Last year we borrowed one from a friend but he is laid up with a chest infection after ankle surgery. We definitley won't be asking him for anything even in a month's time. Our yard is so sandy it's pretty easy to dig through most of the time anyway.

We have a lot of work to do getting grass down and DH wants to focus on that. The birds feasted on the seed the septic company put down of course. I mean it was JANUARY after all. The straw blew away within a few days. I'm looking into something that comes with a netting that will disintegrate on it's own. I think it might be worth it in the end. It's just too breezy here to expect straw to stay in place. And the netting hay stuff is supposed to deter the birds for a few weeks while the grass germinates. So we will see.

I still want to plant a few roses and more lilacs. Unfortunately the best nursery around us (where i got my current lilacs) closed just after Christmas. I am SO sad about that. Normally their outdoor plant area is like walking through a huge garden. It was enchanting. I want a light yellow rose to plant for Noodles. And maybe a few other colors. The ones I've found online have been kind of expensive. I'll find the right one eventually.

Since they had to move the fence to get the new septic in I also lost my irises on that side of the house. It was too late to find bulbs to replace them too. I'm kind of hoping one or two will pop up and surprise me. But the whole area was graded after they finished so I'm not holding my breath. Maybe later this year I can find more.

I do have sunflower seeds to plant those again. I ejoyed them a lot last year. I'm probably going to transplant some black eyed susans from my mother's yard too. She has too many; so it's a good time. Then I'll have my usual potted assortment out on the front and back steps and in hanging baskets. I need to start taking stock of what needs replacing flower pot wise. I know I need new poles for the pole beans and tomatoes.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm thinking of making a spud tower this year, has anyone ever tried one?
I've been wanting to try something like this! I have grown potatoes in the gound but I didn't get too much thanks to bugs. My Aunt grows potatoes in a variety of buckets bascially and has good results. It looks fun to try! I like yukon gold potatoes so that was what i've tried to grow in the past. I don't know if DH is up for something new like this with the grass on his mind. So maybe next year. He keeps telling me he's glad I enjoy the gardens because he doesn't believe we get out of it what we put into it. 😏

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He keeps telling me he's glad I enjoy the gardens because he doesn't believe we get out of it what we put into it. 😏
My husband always thought I was silly to vegetable garden. He thought that until he retired and saw the work I put into it and the actual benefits. He recently told me he didn't realize the amount of work and planning that goes into it. He never really grew up with fresh from the garden vegetables.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes! Its so satisfying watching things grow that you planted yourself. Of course it’s frustrating when things don’t go right too; but its still worth it. I enjoy my flowers just as much if not more than the veggies because I don’t have hopes to put away anything from them. They are purely for pleasure.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not just the fresh veg. It's the pleasure of being outside, the exercise you get from working in the garden, the enjoyment of watching things grow and the satisfaction you get from producing something all by yourself.

:cloud9:
So true! In winter I get really cranky because I can't go play in the dirt.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Most of my garden is perennials, so unless some didn't make it through the winter, they'll mostly just do their own thing on their own. Might buy a few new ones, but space is getting scarce, and not sure if I want to enlarge the gardens more or not.

I just did a walk around the yard, and some of my mini crocuses are sprouting, and will likely bloom soon.

Surprisingly, some of my day lilies are sending up shoots already. Seems a bit early, but not sure.

1615141836968.png

My peony is also sending up pink shoots, but that's normal for this time of year.

Nothing else seemed to be awakening, but that's ok, as it's still early March.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I need more summer annuals here. I have spring ones but when they are done I miss them.

DH just ordered grass seed and fertilizer. I think he got a straw mat to put down too. Its just too windy here to expect straw to stay in place for a few weeks. It’s supposed to help keep the birds from eating everything too. We were looking for a biodegradable one. There’s so much that needs replanting now. I’m a bit overwhelmed at how much we need. We won’t plant it till April most likely. But we should be ready togo by then.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it too early for a gardening thread?
I was just thinking this week of looking this thread up, so you have perfect timing, IMO!

I'm hoping the seeds I bought last year are still viable. Including catnip, carrots, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, cilantro, butterhead lettuce, rhubarb. The strawberries never germinated last year, but maybe they needed to go through a frost and will germinate this season. I have a bunch of other herb seeds I may try to grow as well.

My succulents will also be transitioned to outside soon as it is getting warm enough to leave them out, at least during the day for some time.

Anybody have dates they typically start growing outside? I know it may depend on when the last frost is, but still wondering. Last year I started late as I waited for school to finish before starting with growing my vegetables. Guess if I start too "early" and it gets cold again I can bring all my pots inside, which is a positive about container vegetable gardening.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Check your growing zone to help you know when to plant. Some things you can start inside of course. I like the Old Farmers Almanac website for garden tips and help. The seed packets from Burpee online don’t have the maps on the packaging so I just look online.

My sunflower seeds are from last year. They got caught up in the mess when mail was slow and everyone decided to garden. I was told they should be good for a while if stored well. I have more than I need for the space anyway. So I’m not too worried about not having enough germinate. Last year I ordered some seeds from a different company and had some germination issues; so I’m glad to have my Burpee seeds again.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here in WNY, we can get killing frosts into late May, although there are a few things we can plant, like radishes, peas, leaf lettuce, or onions. Anything else is a no-go, as the soil is too cold and the seeds rot in the ground. Last year, it was June before I could plant the tomatoes because it was so cold and wet.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope to start pruning my apple trees this week. It is supposed to warm up a bit. I need to replace my sprayer so I can spray the horticultural oil on them. With Bills doctors appointments this week it will be a challenge to find time. We are busy every day except today and it is to cold to do it today.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been reading I can reuse my soil from last year, as long as my tomato soil doesn't get reused for my tomatoes. I'll be buying another 5 gal. pail as you can leave the dirt covered in the sun for a day to sterilize it, and later I'll drill holes and use for another tomato plant container. Also seems like it is good to mix in some new, fresh compost to my old soil. Think I will start that this week as there will be 2-3 pail-fuls of soil to sterilize.

Status
Not open for further replies.