The 2019 Gardening Thread.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The previous owners of our house had chicken wire racks in the old coal bin in the basement, and he used to bare-root his geraniums over the winter. It was cool and dark there, so apparently the plants would go dormant and survive.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When I was reading about over-wintering geraniums, I saw bare-rooting them as an option. And might have tried that, if I had gotten to them before Jack Frost did. One year I did cut a couple back and put them in pots and stuck them in my outside shed for the winter. They did not survive. This year the plan was to keep them in the unheated, but attached garage, which though gets cold, usually stays above freezing. Next year, maybe.

So N NY cat man , did all that snow melt yet?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, there is still about 6 inches worth on the ground, as it hasn't been warm enough or clear enough to melt it. That may change in the next few days though. We shall see.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's way too early for that much snow to fall, let alone still not have melted. Here's hoping you have warmer days and/or rain soon.
:sunshine:🌧☂

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Around here, any time after October 1 holds the possibility for snow. In 2006, we had the October Surprise storm, when a couple feet of heavy wet snow fell. 5 years ago, we had Snowvember, when some areas got over 5 feet of snow. It's those pesky lakes to our north, southwest, and even the northwest- Lake Huron and Georgian Bay. We deal with it and move on.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We deal with it and move on.
I don't think I could deal, and would have to pack my bags, then "move on".

Around my part of Canada, we can certainly get the odd flurry in October, but real snow is rare even in November. And more often than not, we have a green Christmas. But once winter does arrive, it hates to leave, and we generally have a cool, wet spring. :sigh: