The 2019 Gardening Thread.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, my first attempt at growing Heirloom tomatoes was an epic fail. I got about 18 tomatoes bu none turned red.
Some are still growing but I think it's time to remove the plant. Nicole said next year plant them in full sun so i'll
try that. My Cherry's turned out well.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow, some of you still have flowers! All I have is dry leaves now. I've saved a lot of seeds. some from plants I bought and some harvested from interesting looking things I found on my walks. Hope some of them will grow.
As you could see, most of my plants have dry leaves. And are surrounded by dry tree leaves. ;)
It'll be fun to see next year how many of your seeds grow, and what you get.

Well, my first attempt at growing Heirloom tomatoes was an epic fail. I got about 18 tomatoes bu none turned red.
Some are still growing but I think it's time to remove the plant. Nicole said next year plant them in full sun so i'll
try that. My Cherry's turned out well.
Yep, tomatoes are sun lovers. :sunshine:
Did you bring the ones that didn't turn red inside? If they are showing even the slightest hint of turning red, bringing them inside and putting them on a sunny window sill, or even in paper bag will encourage them to finish ripening.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, some of you still have flowers! All I have is dry leaves now. I've saved a lot of seeds. some from plants I bought and some harvested from interesting looking things I found on my walks. Hope some of them will grow.
I collected some of the heads from the phlox and dried them to collect the seeds, and will try planting them next year.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow, some of you still have flowers!
I did. But yesterday was pretty nice, so I went out and cut down most of the perennials. Now the Japanese Lantrens are gone, along with the Sedums, and the marigolds. I left the Geraniums for now, but I think the colder temps by the weekend will probably do them in. It's going to be nice again today, though, so think I'll mow the lawn, possibly for the last time this year, and plant those bulbs. 🌷🌷🌷

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yesterday was a nice fall day, so I mowed the lawn, and put down the fall/winter fertilizer, since it was calling for rain overnight. I also, finally, planted my crocus and tulip bulbs. 🌷 🌷🌷

So now just a few perennials to cut back. But if I don't get to them, I can do it in the spring.

Still leaves on the trees, so probably some more leaf raking to do. But since they're my neighbour's trees, maybe I'll be lucky and they'll fall in their yard instead of mine. 🍃 🍂🍁

I still have geraniums blooming. And another of my perennials has a new flower bud! Poor plants. Don't they know what season it is. :confused2:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have snow already!? We're still enjoying our autumn leaves.

View attachment 307475
Yes, we got about 10 inches of snow overnight, with more on the way. Also, according to the weather people, our high temperature for today should set an all-time record- for the lowest high temp on this date. The previous one was 31 degrees, and it's not supposed to get out of the 20s today.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yikes! That's A LOT of snow for November!!! And, yeah, I think gardening season is definitely over for you, and snowman season has arrived. ☃

We had a few flurries the other night, and the temp went below freezing for the first time, which killed my neighbour's tomato plants. But my Geraniums toughed it out, and still look ok. I'll probably pull them out the next time I'm out raking leaves.

Pretty leaves, Norachan Norachan . Our trees are almost empty now, so probably just one more raking day for me. 🍂

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
We got freezing rain this morning. Still have petunias still hanging on but I pulled most of the pots and dumped the dirt...I brought in 3 of the big pots because the soil froze and need to thaw so I can dump it. The marigolds and zinnias are gone. we have had tons of frost now so not much left. Some leaves clinging on but for the most part-we are entering winter.

N NY cat man that's crazy about the snow!!!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My kids helped me dump my flower pots yesterday. I had one calibrachoa still blooming and a few pots of geraniums that were still blooming until a few days ago.

I literally just looked up to see snow mixing with rain. It's not going to stick they say. 😒

Anyway! After we got all the flower pots dumped we pulled the tomato cages and plants and emptied 2 of the birdhouses. There are still tomatoes down on the ground but we'll get those later. DH came home in time to help me flush out one of the birdhouses that ants had taken over! I was NOT expecting that when I opened it up! DH took the hose to the house and we left the side open to dry out well. My kids were really fascinated with the birds nests. One had a good number of feathers from a variety of birds.

I didn't clear out my chickadee houses because I read they will sometimes shelter in them in the winter. I'm not positive that's the best thing to do. I want to research that a little bit better.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
a few pots of geraniums that were still blooming until a few days ago.
As I mentioned upthread, my geraniums are still in the ground and still alive. I was reading earlier about over wintering them in a garage. Might try. Only thing my garage, though attached, is unheated, and when it's really cold out, it can get near freezing in there.

DH came home in time to help me flush out one of the birdhouses that ants had taken over! I was NOT expecting that when I opened it up!
That happened to my Mom once. They'd had sparrows nesting in the bird houses in the spring, and when Dad took them down, Mom decided to look inside one. Not a good idea! It was crawling with bugs! She wasn't impressed. And I'm not sure if they ever put out bird houses again.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Raspberries are delicious. :yummy: But the plants are invasive, and grow by underground rhizomes. Which is good if you want your neighbour's raspberries crossing the property line and sending up shoots in your yard, which I did for a while. But they just kept spreading into my grass, so now I cut them back/dig them out when I see them.

So gardening season is definitely over now. Those geraniums are still in the ground, but don't look happy. Won't be trying to save them, that's for sure, as they're way past the point of digging out and putting in pots. Oh well, it was a long shot anyway to try overwinter them.