The 2019 Gardening Thread.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just reread your post and this popped out this time. Did the Cosmos survive the frost? If so, any chance of a pic of them? :camera:

LOL. If you're lucky enough to have good ones, grandfathers are the best! :heartshape:

Oh, no. Sorry about the flowers. But the culprits are so cute. :)
Just reread your post and this popped out this time. Did the Cosmos survive the frost? If so, any chance of a pic of them? :camera:

LOL. If you're lucky enough to have good ones, grandfathers are the best! :heartshape:

Oh, no. Sorry about the flowers. But the culprits are so cute. :)
It didn't quite get cold enough for a frost- only into the lower 30s- so our stuff survived. Here are the pictures you requested.
Cosmos
IMG_1047.JPG

Coneflowers
IMG_1050.JPG

I don't know what these are. Michele just calls them 'crazy flowers'
IMG_1057.JPG

Sedums
IMG_1053.JPG

Coleus 'Fancy Feathers Black'
IMG_1055.JPG

And finally, the 'Wizard of Ahs' is developing new blooms
IMG_1058.JPG

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I don't have any flowers now, but at least I got all the grass cut in the enclosure so that cats can run around without getting tangled up in weeds.

I'm thinking of moving some of the hostas and maybe the ferns to better positions. When is the best time of year to move plants?
Now...a month before a hard ground frost which comes in December in my area...

I pulled up all the tomato plants-the frost Friday night knocked most of them out-still have a few in the tire garden-covered with a sheet-some died-some are ok-picked all green tomatoes but some dead from being frost bitten. I have about 12 little ones growing in the tires-gonna try to keep those going. We don't usually get a hard nightly frost until mid November...it came 2 weeks early for us this year...

Dumped the pots of dirt into the newly turned over garden and Bee enjoyed leaving presents in the fresh dirt. :flail:
The petunias are still growing strong but the morning glories got killed by the frost. Marigolds didn't seem bothered either. The Zinnias are dead but I planted seeds inbetween the rows and those plants are 3 inches tall-just wanted to see if the seeds are viable-and they are. I tossed most of the blossoms on the pavement to bake in the sun for a few days to dry them out good then give away the seeds next year- they say they should be grown inside first=it only took 3 weeks to get them to grow up to 2 inches-so I will try sowing them outside next year instead of dealing with growing in pots inside.

N NY cat man rubysmama rubysmama Love the plant pictures :cloud9:

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here are the pictures you requested.
Thanks for posting them! Your Cosmos are amazing! They're like small trees! And all your other plants still look good for October, as well.

My last day lily, I think, bloomed today. It was windy, so that may be why it's not focused.
IMG_9414.jpg

Also here's a Geranium still blooming. (excuse the weeds)
IMG_9407.jpg

Still waiting on that one Montauk Daisy bloom ...

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sad the growing season is ending. I put my vegetable garden to bed Sunday. Well most of it - the tomatoes have survived our frost and still have fruit on them as do my jalapeno peppers. They will be pulled soon. I took the opportunity to ex[and the garden, made it twice the size it was. I may plant some garlic (now is the time to do it). I walked the yard yesterday and took a few photos of flowers, sort of summers last gasp.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sad the growing season is ending.
I'm sad too, because it'll be 6 months till we can start really thinking about gardening again. :sigh:

I walked the yard yesterday and took a few photos of flowers, sort of summers last gasp.
Please post some of your pics, if you can. :camera:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's always a mixture of sadness because the gardening season is over and relief because there is a little less work to do. But I always miss the color.

But it's never long before I'm thinking about what I want to do next year. Like now I'm thinking it would be fun to plant some kind of evergreen to be a permanent Christmas tree in the front yard. Something I can put lights on for Christmas. My concern is placement with our well. But it would be nice to have something that keeps color all year round out front.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sad too, because it'll be 6 months till we can start really thinking about gardening again. :sigh:

Please post some of your pics, if you can. :camera:
Maybe this picture will give you a better perspective on those Cosmos. The railing is 5 1/2 feet above ground level (I measured) and you can see how much higher the flowers are.
IMG_1059.JPG

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But it's never long before I'm thinking about what I want to do next year. Like now I'm thinking it would be fun to plant some kind of evergreen to be a permanent Christmas tree in the front yard. Something I can put lights on for Christmas. My concern is placement with our well. But it would be nice to have something that keeps color all year round out front.
I love evergreens that can be decorated as Christmas trees, but some can grow huge, which certainly could be an issue with your well.

I've got a couple Rhododendrons in my front, as they keep their leaves all year. One even changes colour during the year. I'll post some pics later, if I can find some I've taken other years.

Maybe this picture will give you a better perspective on those Cosmos. The railing is 5 1/2 feet above ground level (I measured) and you can see how much higher the flowers are.
Really cool. I grew Cosmos once, and they didn't grow nearly that big, but quickly overtook the small spot in the garden they were delegated to. I might have pictures of them too. Will look for them later as well.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love evergreens that can be decorated as Christmas trees, but some can grow huge, which certainly could be an issue with your well.
That's what I'm afraid of. I have to research the height and width! I have a nice size piece of land; but it's deeper than wide. We had huge evergreens on both sides of the land when we bought the house; but they'd not been well cared for so they were not in good health and they've all been cut down now. On the other side of our neighbor the trees are much nicer and you can walk underneath them. They are several times taller than their house. So that really won't work for me. :lol:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Finally my Montauk Daisy has bloomed. :bunnydance:
Hopefully next year I'll get more than just 1 flower though.

IMG_9430.jpg

And the last Day Lilies. This is a reblooming dwarf day lily, called "Happy Returns". The first blooms were in July and looked normal sized and height.

PIC FROM JULY:
IMG_9031.jpg

The "reblooms" are different, and really low to the ground. But still pretty cool having day lilies in October, so I won't complain.

PIC TAKEN YESTERDAY
IMG_9428.jpg

So I think that's going to be the last gardening pics for me for 2019. Better get my crocus and tulip bulbs in soon, so I'll have some early blooms for our 2020 gardening thread. 🌷

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband is a little cranky because I brought in all my houseplants since we are getting cold. They seemed to have multiplied this summer. ;) Not only that but the little 4inch pots I bought grew like crazy so now are in 8 inch pots! My little 4" silver dollar eucalyptus is now over 2 foot high! He says our TV room (the only room with east and south facing windows) looks like a jungle. If I could afford a greenhouse that is heated, it would solve a lot of problems! or maybe a ton of grow lights so I could put the plants in another (empty) room. It isn't like we don't have room - there are 2 bedrooms not in use, and a third one I use as my 'cat room'. I store my show stuff and all our rosettes there. To support my gardening and my cat habit I think I need to win the lottery!!! :lol:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only hangers-on that we have left are the 'Coral Craze' coneflowers, and a few blossoms still on the phlox. Michele just got some bulbs in the mail, so I worked up part of the front bed, transplanting one hosta and trashing two others. She had ordered something called Dragon flowers and also larkspur bulbs, so they had to be put in the ground so they can overwinter.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still have black eye Susan’s blooming. I also have this annual hanging on. I took apart my annual pots awhile back but this still looked good so I left it. The second photo is of one of my herbs taken this morning when the temperature was 26F. Funny thing the osteospurmum ( not sure of the spelling) is still looking good.
09034D5C-8E00-4699-8941-1E161A5CE2D2.jpeg
38905D31-314F-4DBB-9CD6-697D99751E4F.jpeg

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have cut back most of our flowers- I did the sedums, phlox, and Coral Craze coneflowers today. Those Pyromania got off to a slow start, but a few of them are hanging on. The hostas are all gone until next year, as are the Cosmos and zinnias. At this time of year, we have to put our garden waste out with our leaves for collection.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You guys motivated me to go outside with my camera. Still a few plants hanging on. We haven't gone below freezing yet, but I think that's going to change by the end of the week. :cold: Next time I'm out raking leaves I'll probably cut the rest of the perennials back, so this will likely be the final last pics for gardening 2019. I also need to get my crocus and tulip bulbs planted before the ground freezes.

Japanese lantrens - still looking autumn-y
IMG_9441.jpg

Campanula - blooming again
IMG_9442.jpg

Purple Coneflower- with one flower still hanging on
IMG_9445.jpg

Obedient Plant - acting like it's still summer :sunshine:
IMG_9447.jpg

Happy Returns Day Lily - with 2 more buds. One is showing some yellow even.
IMG_9448.jpg

Sedum - being smothered by leaves, but still looking pretty regal.
IMG_9449.jpg

There's also these Marigolds that are still doing ok. They're where the tulip bulbs are going, so I'll have to pull them out soon. :(
IMG_9451.jpg

Last edited: