The 2019 Gardening Thread.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so excited! My tomatoes are planted (15 total) and only one is having an iffy time. I plant some tried and true variety along with tomatoes I've never grown. The Steak Sandwich already has blooms! :thumbsup:

I also put out some new strawberries (well, a pineberry plus pollinators) since my Good Girl Daisy loves strawberries. My old strawberries (that I bought on eBay and got from a seller who purchased his initial plants from an Indian village in the western US) are thriving.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bought a load of plants for the planters out on the deck, but it's snowing here today so they're all sheltering in my bathroom now.

We have one daffodil.

View attachment 282457

I've made myself a compost container out of odd bits and pieces I had lying around.

It's quite large, cat for scale, but I have a steady supply of horse manure from the stables I ride at.
View attachment 282458

View attachment 282459
It took 30 horses over a year to produce this......

Does anyone know what this plant is? They grow wild here, I was wondering if I should take a cutting and try to get them to grow in other places too.
View attachment 282460
Our cherry blossom are out. We have 9 trees blossoming in the enclosure this year. :yess: Fujizakura grows like a weed around here, not even I can kill it.
View attachment 282462
Milkweed? MILKWEED - Gardens of the World

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:eek: I'd ask if I could have her castoff plants!! :lol2: My Mom got all her irises from the city. The workers near her job (20 something years ago) were pulling out the bulbs from some beds and tossing them! She and a co-worker asked if they could have them and they said yes! Around the mailbox and both sides of her house used to be all irises. I have some from when she pulled a bunch a few years ago.

My aunt is constantly changing her yard up. It's probably 2/3 garden now. Her yard is very small; but man she has done a lot with it. Even the veggie garden is hidden behind a flower garden. I kept texting her last year when I was working out the shade garden in the back.
Pictures?

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I garden, so I am.

I moved to California back in 1985 so I could garden all year round; I didn't care about that nice long rest in the winter you got in Ohio.

So nice to hear all of you reveling in spring, as I am too.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought I'd be much further along by now, but we had our last snow on April 12th so I'm only just ready to buy spring plants and flowers.

I have my new compost heap set up, the first of the daffodils are opening and the cherry blossoms are in bloom too.

Quick question; What would be a good vine or climbing plant for a place that only gets a few hours of direct sunlight? I have to keep a trellis and net up at one end of the deck so that the cats don't jump from the deck rail onto the enclosure fence and run off. I've tried Morning Glories and Bitter Gourds (Goya) there in previous years. Even though the plants grew to about 2 meters in height I didn't get any flowers or gourds. Would something like runner beans do better?

I want something that will grow to about 2 meters, provide a bit of shade, but not so heavy it pulls the trellis down.
When do you get the sun? That's really important. Sounds like you mostly get it early in the morning. If you get at least half a day's direct sun, morning glories, etc., should do okay. The huge trouble with morning sun is that it's often obscured by morning mist, and isn't as strong as afternoon sun.

I've not found a lot of vines that don't need a lot of sun that aren't tropical houseplants.

Hmm. Maybe count your blessings on the morning glories. Some of them go wild . . . .

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The winter storm here today was terrible. Snow, sleet, icing, and hail. I snatched my perennials off the deck before it started.

I did not realize the coreopsis I ordered was the threadleaf type, candy for rabbits. I am going to have to drown everything in Liquid Fence.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does anyone else kid themselves into thinking the only reason they don't own llamas is because rhododendrons are so poisonous? And llamas don't know not eat them?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have any pictures of my mother's irises or my Aunt's little Oasis. I don't remember when she changed the side of her house out but it's not like that now. My irises are budded so I should have flowers soon. They are still filling in more.

I'm hoping to get my tomato plants tomorrow. I weeded the garden out yesterday.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's raining here and supposed to rain all week, so I can't plant my new perennials. I bought cloches - neat item - to protect my new plants from the rabbits, but yesterday I noticed the new hostas had been chewed on. In the house. Likely suspects are Mingo and Lily.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just got home with 6 tomato plants and a few flowers that I couldn't resist. You know the same colors won't be available if I wait. ;) I wanted 2 more tomato plants but they didn't have any cherry tomatoes. We eat a lot of cherry tomatoes so I definitely NEED those. :lol: I'm going to Lowes within the next few days. That should give me time to figure out how much more potting soil I need. And how many more flowers I can get. :anticipation:

My DD kept smelling herbs and asking if we could get those. I really should just turn one section of the garden into an herb bed. She really liked the lemon balm. I would need to research what goes together best first.

I picked up my grocery order this morning and they gave me some granola bar samples that included seed packets of cosmos. Since I'm not going to fill all 3 beds this year I'm wondering if I should plant those instead? My plan was to weed then cover with a corn-based weed block I used in the gardens last year; then plain un-dyed mulch over that. I'm not sure whats best. The flowers would be very pretty and good for bringing pollinators. :think:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
When do you get the sun? That's really important. Sounds like you mostly get it early in the morning. If you get at least half a day's direct sun, morning glories, etc., should do okay.
The house and deck face north, so we get sun all day. Trouble is we live in the middle of a forest so there are always patches of shade because of the trees. Not just trees in our yard either, there are thick woods all around and as it's a national park we can't cut down any trees without permission.

I tried Morning Glories two years back. They grew to over 2 meters tall, really healthy looking plans bu not a single flower on them.

:sigh:

Does anyone else kid themselves into thinking the only reason they don't own llamas is because rhododendrons are so poisonous?
No, but I do tell myself the only reason I don't have a pony is because these darned cats eat so much. But sometimes when I'm out on a walk I make clippity-cloppity noises in my head and pretend I've got a pony anyway.

;)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
No, but I do tell myself the only reason I don't have a pony is because these darned cats eat so much. But sometimes when I'm out on a walk I make clippity-cloppity noises in my head and pretend I've got a pony anyway.

;)
We had horses when I was a child. They were always jumping fences, getting lost or requiring expensive shots or foot treatments so the fun of riding was pretty much lost in the work and cost of keeping them.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I tried Morning Glories two years back. They grew to over 2 meters tall, really healthy looking plans bu not a single flower on them.
My Grandpa would tell you to get potassium. That stimulates blooms. Nitrogen for foliage, phosphorous for the roots, and potassium for blooms. Usually I just use Miracle Grow's All Purpose plant food with good results; but last year I wasn't getting blooms like usual so I got their flower food for my potted things. Things went much better after that.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm kind of envious of those of you who have plants in the ground already. Here, it has been so cold and wet as to make it an exercise in futility to do so. Besides that, none of the local nurseries are open for the season yet. Dang!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
They were always jumping fences, getting lost or requiring expensive shots or foot treatments so the fun of riding was pretty much lost in the work and cost of keeping them.
Oh, I can imagine! I volunteered as a stable girl between the ages of 12 and 18, they are a lot of work. I'm lucky enough to be able to ride regularly, even though I don't have my own horse.

:)

potassium for blooms
I just googled that. Banana skins in the compost seems like a good way to go.

N NY cat man Mine aren't technically in the ground. They're all in planters and had to spend a few nights indoors when it snowed last week.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm kind of envious of those of you who have plants in the ground already. Here, it has been so cold and wet as to make it an exercise in futility to do so. Besides that, none of the local nurseries are open for the season yet. Dang!
The garden centres around here, just opened last week. And mostly all they have so far are bags of soil, mulch, etc.

We've had a lot of rain, but also wind, which must have dried the ground, because my soil is mostly workable now. But definitely not warm enough to plant seeds, or even new "right from the nursery" plants. I am dividing and moving some perennials that survived the winter.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I garden so I am. Have to learn the Latin for that.

I left Ohio in 1985 and gave up the winter rest in exchange for year round gardening fun.

Show us yours!

65AFC982-29B8-4624-A639-42E6E5F8BF46.jpeg
EF1C413C-C238-4A87-BAF1-9908D4E4B44B.jpeg
77371630-B584-4F65-8A93-77EA31D14388.jpeg

MargoLane

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The garden centres around here, just opened last week. And mostly all they have so far are bags of soil, mulch, etc.

We've had a lot of rain, but also wind, which must have dried the ground, because my soil is mostly workable now. But definitely not warm enough to plant seeds, or even new "right from the nursery" plants. I am dividing and moving some perennials that survived the winter.
I feel you! It's been a wet and windy spring. We even had about 5 minutes of snow yesterday! But it is warm enough for cold-hardy greens like kale, chard, arugula in Toronto. I would have loved to put some in the ground already, but I'm building new garden beds this weekend, so it didn't make sense to start anything. My new beds will have 4 feet high cages on them, because our squirrel and raccoon population decimate anything edible. All of my other veggie seedlings are still happily hanging out inside with their heat mat and grow light. Still, I'm so jealous of the year-round gardeners.