The 2019 Gardening Thread.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About the azaleas, the ones I looked at were listed as hardy to -30, but in reading up on them, it seems that they don't like too much direct sun, so I probably will have to pass on them, as the area I had in mind gets full sun all day.
The big, huge thing that azaleas have to have, is excellent drainage, and acid soil, and regular water. Former forest, especially pine forest, is great for them.

Too much sun can be a problem, particularly if the soil is less than ideal.

But, there's many other pretty plants, too. How about a picture of the spot? We'll be happy to make recommendations, and I'll do my best to be sure it's good for the gardener, too.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I'm going to pass on the azaleas and stick to perennials that attract butterflies and/or hummingbirds that fit the soil conditions here and can tolerate the sun, especially direct afternoon sun.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The big, huge thing that azaleas have to have, is excellent drainage, and acid soil, and regular water. Former forest, especially pine forest, is great for them.

Too much sun can be a problem, particularly if the soil is less than ideal.

But, there's many other pretty plants, too. How about a picture of the spot? We'll be happy to make recommendations, and I'll do my best to be sure it's good for the gardener, too.
Drainage is a problem here, because there is only about 6" of topsoil before you hit a hard clay layer, which I have been fighting all along with various amendments each year, but even with the raised beds, that impermeable layer is still there, and it goes down feet, how many I haven't been able to determine. Add to that it is open to the south and west, with nothing much in the way of shade in either direction, so that is what I have to work with.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Drainage is a problem here, because there is only about 6" of topsoil before you hit a hard clay layer, which I have been fighting all along with various amendments each year, but even with the raised beds, that impermeable layer is still there, and it goes down feet, how many I haven't been able to determine. Add to that it is open to the south and west, with nothing much in the way of shade in either direction, so that is what I have to work with.
That's your problem. You can get around that, but it's work, no two ways. One way is to make raised beds, but, I've been there, done that, and well, it's a lot of work for a forty year old. Back-breaking for a sixty something.

Take a picture of the location! Sometimes that can inspire thoughts.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's your problem. You can get around that, but it's work, no two ways. One way is to make raised beds, but, I've been there, done that, and well, it's a lot of work for a forty year old. Back-breaking for a sixty something.

Take a picture of the location! Sometimes that can inspire thoughts.
What does that make it for someone who has left 70 in the rearview mirror?

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why hire someone to do what I can (still) do for myself? Besides, I'm too cheap for that.
Bless your heart!

And if you get bored, and need some exercise, come out to California and help me with my garden! (Six kitties to pet in the bargain, and I'll change the litter . . . . )

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
They also like a well-drained, acidic soil, so you should be in good shape where you are.
Japan has a number of endemic azalea species
Former forest, especially pine forest, is great for them.
Your forest location with the high canopy of trees is perfect for azaleas.
I feel kind of silly for saying this, but after my last post I Googled azalea and realised that they grow wild all over the place here. Just as you'd expect from a Japanese pine forest.

:crazy:

Known as Tsutsuji, in case you're interested.

So now they're on my wish list for the next time I go to the garden center.

That looks really nice Tobermory Tobermory

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
You must be exhausted from all that exertion.
That looks really nice Tobermory Tobermory
That is just beautiful! Time for a cup of tea on the bench after all that exhausting labor.
Thank you, all! Yes, after I spent those 60 seconds pointing out to my husband where I wanted the plants, I had to take a break on the bench (that he built last year). :lol: Okay, so I didn’t do much, but I had just gotten back from the sanctuary where I volunteer and where I schlepped bags of goat feed and cat litter up and down the hill. I’m not completely useless. :)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Add to that it is open to the south and west, with nothing much in the way of shade in either direction, so that is what I have to work with.
That's the challenging part of my yard as well. In the fall I put potted mums on pavers that flank our rose bushes. I want something potted there in the summer because it's kind of blank without anything. But that afternoon sun is hot and harsh here. We used to have a giant maple tree but it had a big dead spot where a large branch had been cut off at some point so DH had it cut down before it could get dangerous to the house. I really really did not want to lose that shade but if that had fallen it could have been bad. The grass grows much better now at least.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a large black walnut tree at the southeast corner of our yard, on our neighbor's property. There were 2 large Norway maples to the south and southwest, also on their property, but a windstorm took them down- one on part of my garage roof, and one partially on our house. I cut 2 cords of wood from them, but that eliminated the shade they provided, especially in the afternoon. Now, anything we plant has to be tolerant of that condition.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
A lot of the wild flowers are in bloom now. This yellow one gets bigger and bigger every year.

Garden169.jpg

It's very pretty though.
Garden172.jpg
Garden182.jpg

We have loads of this purple stuff this year too.
Garden177.jpg

The bees love it, so that's a good thing.
Garden180.jpg
Garden166.jpg

Delicate little flower.
Garden168.jpg
Garden174.jpg

Does this look like an azalea? It's a small plant and only has one flower, but it looks the right colour.
Garden178.jpg

Maybe a wild one has moved in without me having to plant anything.

:yess: