The 2019 Gardening Thread.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
When you put up the netting, you may have to make a trench so you can bury it 6 to 8" in the ground to keep the 'chucks from digging under it.
I will use stones. There's no way of burying anything here. It's all roots and stumps. I know where there's a pile of rocks for free but have to haul them up the hill, There's tons of weeds growing around the rocks but should be able to figure something out or at least use the downed trees to hold down the front of netting.

Jon took the tractor and cut down more brush down here but still muddy. He's determined to clear this land come hell or high water. Or how many bugs bite his butt. I'm gonna tie one of those donuts in the marsh that kills mosquitoe larve. And maybe one in the brook but that's running water so probably not where they are coming from. Damn mosquitoes.

20190619_181806.jpg

At least the daisies are doing well. I transplanted all these from in the yard back in May to make a border with my garden. I also been digging up ground cover and put it on the hill by the road, hopefully it will grow and hold in the dirt so it won't wash away.

20190620_054749.jpg

There's a Lupine way in back in this picture too.

20190620_054719.jpg

One of the tunias is finally blooming

Last edited:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will use stones. There's no way of burying anything here. It's all roots and stumps. I know where there's a pile of rocks for free but have to haul them up the hill, There's tons of weeds growing around the rocks but should be able to figure something out or at least use the downed trees to hold down the front of netting.

Jon took the tractor and cut down more brush down here but still muddy. He's determined to clear this land come hell or high water. Or how many bugs bite his butt. I'm gonna tie one of those donuts in the marsh that kills mosquitoe larve. And maybe one in the brook but that's running water so probably not where they are coming from. Damn mosquitoes.

View attachment 289646
At least the daisies are doing well. I transplanted all these from in the yard back in May to make a border with my garden. I also been digging up ground cover and put it on the hill by the road, hopefully it will grow and hold in the dirt so it won't wash away.

View attachment 289647

There's a Lupine way in back in this picture too.

View attachment 289648
One of the tunias is finally blooming
That area in the first picture looks bigger than the entire lot that our house and garage stand on- it's only 50x100'

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My first day lily opened yesterday. And despite the cool wet spring we had, it was only a couple days later than last year.

IMG_8731.jpg
IMG_8733.jpg

All my other day lilies are super slow, though. No other even have bud scapes yet. Not sure if they're just slow, or if it's because I split some of them. I know some don't bloom till July, and even August, so I won't worry yet.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That area in the first picture looks bigger than the entire lot that our house and garage stand on- it's only 50x100'
I don't know how big it is..but I think he wants to keep it mowed to cut down on ticks we have. I wanted to spray nematodes but the temps are way too hot to keep the area moist so they were purchased for nothing-the guy didn't tell me I had to keep the area moist for 7 days. Which during the day it's 80 to 85 in the sun so that was wasted money. At least I got to spray some at my friends house on the other side-not sure if they have seen results from less ticks/mosquitoes. I will definately spray them this September then again in March/April. I heard from others who sprayed the appropriate ones for the bugs you want to eliminate that they have no mosquitoes/ticks. That would be great.

Well I got 4 more tires given to me from a coworker-hauled them down, filled the wheel barrel with my 3 yards of dirt and got them set up. I put them in a way where I can plant stuff in between the tires. I also put some tomatoes in larger pots, mixed the dirt etc etc etc. Dug out some of that long garden, sweat. swear. huff and puff. This morning I planted 10 tomato plants in the tires. I decided to do 2 plants each one. If they grow great. If not? no biggie. These are the mountain variety-made for cool wet conditions-so will see how they do in this marshy area. I also moved one of the tires-the plants were getting yellow colored leaves-means too much water.

I just slid it over to another area and seemed to not disturb the plants. This is good to know next year. So almost like they like a tiny bit of water but don't like their feet mushy wet which was muddy when I moved the tire. I dumped a ton of dirt there, I will plant the rest of tomatoes there tonight or tomorrow.

I will be glad when all the projects are done. Also filled a ton of bottles from the rain barrell. Jon's getting mad at my clutter outside. He says this morning you don't need 25 bottles! I said I have to use 10 to 15 to water the areas I am planting new plants plus the barrel holds 55 gallons, I like to empty it once a week or before a big storm. So far I haven't used any town water on the yard but once we go into July I will have to hook up the hose.

I found out I can get a meter from the water department and attach to faucet if I am using the water for non septic reasons-this would be much cheaper for me as last year it was a shock getting a 400 water bill. This year our water is cloudy and brown so they cut us a break on our bills-but still 5 months later we still have brownish water and frustrating that I still have to buy bottled water instead of drinking this water as I don't have time to boil a ton of water. I will start filling 2 gallon jugs here at work every night. The frustrations of being on city water-never used to be like this until this week. Anyways back to the garden-I should be done with the side garden this weekend or next weekend..I am just doing 2 hours a day..it will get done eventually.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Things are really starting to pop around here IMG_0804.JPG this hosta has doubled in size since I transplanted it away from the big hosta. IMG_0806.JPG As you can see, the big hosta is, well, a whole lot bigger IMG_0801.JPG The clematis is loaded with blossoms. IMG_0799.JPG The Cheyenne Spirit is looking good IMG_0800.JPG as is the Coral Craze IMG_0803.JPG and the Delphinium is also getting ready to bloom

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got back from pulling weeds in the new bed, and discovered that the sweet million tomato plant has about a half-dozen little tomatoes on it, the largest being about a half an inch in diameter, and there are scads of blooms that haven't formed fruit yet.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I got some perennial pieces from a neighbour yesterday and planted them almost right away, but they did not look happy, even though I gave them lots of water. Hopefully they recovered some overnight.

Here's a couple more flowers that are blooming now.

White Anemone

upload_2019-6-26_8-2-39.png

upload_2019-6-26_8-1-28.png

Garden Star of Bethleham

upload_2019-6-26_8-0-15.png

upload_2019-6-26_7-59-24.png

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got some perennial pieces from a neighbour yesterday and planted them almost right away, but they did not look happy, even though I gave them lots of water. Hopefully they recovered some overnight.

Here's a couple more flowers that are blooming now.

White Anemone

View attachment 290195

View attachment 290194

Garden Star of Bethleham

View attachment 290193

View attachment 290192
rubysmama rubysmama
can you put something in front to make shade? They tend to wilt when planting in full sun=I found putting a blocking shield to keep them in the shade for the first 3 days seems to help them transition better. The false sunflowers I moved on that hot sunny day wilted despite tons of water. It rained yesterday and this morning they looked much happier-next time I will try to move them only when it's cloudy but we often get days and days of clear bright sun so sometimes it isn't an option.

I keep forgetting to upload some more pictures. The tomatoes on the deck in the patio picker have exploded in size. I pinch off the suckers every 4 days too. They really like it there-next year I will try to do the same thing in the ground-dig holes and put in some kind of bottle/bowl to water down there instead of watering over it. I have tons of 2 liter bottles I was told to dig hole and put one in there with hole opened enough to dump a gallon of water into it when needed. It will self water and only need to fill when empty. see there's something to be said for plastic bottles. I saw something about them using terracotta pots glued together then using them in the ground for the same idea. Some people use coffee cans or other buckets for same idea...Would be nice if they could stay in the ground instead of having to dig them up in the fall as the ice and water would make the terracotta ones break in the winter...\

Bury the pot and water the plants with gardening technique

is one site that talks about it.

N NY cat man Love the pics! Everything has exploded this week! Love the warm weather for a change! normally I prefer it COLD but rather see things grow and sit under my tree enjoying the shade and a good book and ice glass of lemonade...

Some random pictures funally..

Fresh planted tomatoes in the tires yesterday morning

20190625_054801.jpg

Before they were filled
20190624_183910.jpg

20190623_191635.jpg

The petunias are now finally grown up. Have an area to move them but need to overturn the dirt and get them planted. For now they seem content here. I've thought about putting 2 inches of dirt in the trays to give them a bit of an anchor while I set up that area for them in the shade.

20190623_190112.jpg

Zinnias finally opening up

20190624_054513.jpg

These are Roma tomatoes that I'm gonna leave in the containers this summer. They only grow 3 feet tall so should be ok. My friend over next street over wants to make sauce this fall. She's got Italian roots and knows how to cook...cant wait to try it!

Last edited:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know about you, but I have found that waiting until just before sunset, filling the hole with water, tossing in a handful of bone meal, and teasing the snot out of the root ball has given the best results when either planting or transplanting this year. So far, everything has done well, but of course the summer isn't over yet.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama
can you put something in front to make shade? They tend to wilt when planting in full sun=I found putting a blocking shield to keep them in the shade for the first 3 days seems to help them transition better.
Just seeing this now. And since we're in for a few dull/cool-ish days, hopefully my wilting plants will be happier. Me, though, not so much. I like the sun. :sunshine:

I don't know about you, but I have found that waiting until just before sunset, filling the hole with water, tossing in a handful of bone meal, and teasing the snot out of the root ball has given the best results when either planting or transplanting this year. So far, everything has done well, but of course the summer isn't over yet.
Glad you've found a method that works. Will try to remember it for next time.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get tired just reading your threads! :lol: So what kind of cleanup are you going to have in the fall?
I don't clean anything up-because we get a fast fall to winter and ice can ruin my perenials I let it all die and clean it in the spring unless there's a fungus outbreak. by August most weeds take over and start over again :crackup:
Last night spent one hour in the garden by the side road as it's shade there-I need to clear a shady area to plant my many tunias that are finally growing big. The sweat was just too much and I gave up at 6pm.

Some pictures

20190628_055601.jpg

Dahlia flower 6 pack plants

I got 4 other type flower things Saturday. Will take more pictures tonight, got tall Zinnias, marigolds and 2 other odd flowers. Need to take more pictures. Only $2.50 a 6 pack which isn't bad. Gonna try to get seeds from them this year.

20190627_181901.jpg

The Patio picker box from lowes is really doing well. Hope it goes on sale again so I can buy 4 more. It self waters underneath and use pellet fertilizer and lime. They were 20 bucks on sale so next year this will be an option in addition to my tire garden.

20190628_055616.jpg

Petunias and marigolds from those seedlings earlier this summer have grown up! Liquid fertilizer works wonders!

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't clean anything up-because we get a fast fall to winter and ice can ruin my perenials I let it all die and clean it in the spring unless there's a fungus outbreak.
That's good. At least you don't have a ton of cleanup to look forward to in September/October.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A while back, someone asked about hens and chicks. Well, here is one of Michele's. IMG_0829.JPG Also, our Delphinium, called Million Dollar Blue, is really putting on a show. IMG_0822.JPG The tomatoes are also developing nicely IMG_0825.JPG And if anyone can tell me just what this thing is, I would appreciate it.

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That hens and chicks is cool. Is the orange thing a pot?

That delphinium is gorgeous. I used to have a delphinium, but don't see it this year. :(

Nice looking tomatoes. And no idea what your mystery photo is. :dunno:

I'm actually not crazy about hens and chicks but bought this one recently. (The name caught my eye! :redheartpump:)
upload_2019-6-30_7-23-23.png

And here's one my neighbour gave me.
upload_2019-6-30_7-25-8.png

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That hens and chicks is cool. Is the orange thing a pot?

That delphinium is gorgeous. I used to have a delphinium, but don't see it this year. :(

Nice looking tomatoes. And no idea what your mystery photo is. :dunno:

I'm actually not crazy about hens and chicks but bought this one recently. (The name caught my eye! :redheartpump:)
View attachment 290634

And here's one my neighbour gave me.
View attachment 290635
Yes, It's one of several of those unglazed clay pots that she has