Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah, the BMI chart is weird, and is only a part of determining a person's healthy weight. Things like body shape can make a difference. As can being muscular from working out, as muscles weigh more than fat.

About walking with weights, maybe check this out:
The Use of Hand Weights While Walking | Livestrong.com

I'm still not walking much. :sigh: But I did rake leaves for an hour or so a couple days ago. 🍃🍁🍂

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
How's everyone doing these days?

I've been doing lots of hiking. We had our first snow of the winter this week, so I had my first mountain hike in the snow. I climbed Ishiwari Yama, which means Split Rock Mountain. It's about 1,500 meters but the last 500 meters is very steep. They have ropes to help you pull your self up. So today my legs and arms hurt!

Some pictures.

Mount Fuji from the top of our lane.
Walks249.jpg

The trail starts just under that red tori on the right.
Walks253.jpg

The Split Rock of Split Rock Mountain.
Walks260.jpg

On the way up.
Walks277.jpg

View of Fuji from the top.
Walks265.jpg

The Southern Alps.
Walks263.jpg

Walks279.jpg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Stunning pictures! We had our first snow a couple days ago, but it was mixed with rain, so shoveling was horrible. And didn't look anywhere as pretty as your first snow.

I did have "wild life" in my front yard though. ;)
IMG_9545.jpg

Here they were the day before:

IMG_9542.jpg

As for exercise, I went for short walks 2 days earlier in the week. And shoveled slush the other day. But that's about it. :sigh:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't do much besides walking. But I started moving my arms when I walk and I managed to lose one pound this week. I also did a lot of shopping this week, 12 hours. That's my favorite kind of workout-- shopping.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, today is the calm before another storm tomorrow. I watched the temp and wind speed this morning and actually got 25 minutes on a half cleared-of-snow tennis court before the wind picked back up LOL , then back at home hopped on the treadmill with some light weights.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
We're supposed to get more snow this weekend too. Winter is finally here.

Saturday and Sunday I worked all day, so just had time for an hour of yoga in the evening. Monday was an hour walk in the rain, then 45 minutes of yoga. Tuesday was 90 minutes of yoga and a 90 minute walk. Wednesday just an hour of yoga.

Today I moved all the deck furniture off the deck, ready for the big snow season, stacked it up and covered it with tarps. After that I did 40 minutes of yin yoga, which felt really nice.

Maybe more walks in the snow coming soon.

:hyper:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
All that talk of walking in the rain and snow, just makes me want to go back to bed. LOL.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are some mild exercises that I could do for butt and hip area? Just want to tighten up that area a bit and I can't diet anymore. Right now I'm just doing my one hour walk, but that doesn't do much.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
BTW, Hi guys... it's been a while since I checked in here.

I fell into a funk back in May and kinda wasn't doing much except my weights with my trainer. I had lost 25 lbs, but gained 12 back over the summer. I'm sure my trainer noticed, but he's not the kind to lecture. Getting back on track with adding in the Pilates, Yoga, and running. That's definitely having an effect on my resting heart rate; it spiked to 78... now down to between 63 and 58.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
then when you get a little stronger, you could try squats - basically what they sound like, use a chair for balance as necessary, keep your back straight - kind of like a ballerina :) go gently at first to find out where you are.

Looks like I'll be able to get on the tennis court this week woohoo, I've been lifting, treadmilling, that sort of thing in the meanwhile.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How's everyone doing these days?

I've been doing lots of hiking. We had our first snow of the winter this week, so I had my first mountain hike in the snow. I climbed Ishiwari Yama, which means Split Rock Mountain. It's about 1,500 meters but the last 500 meters is very steep. They have ropes to help you pull your self up. So today my legs and arms
Just stunning! The trees are beautiful when they are covered like icicles <3 I've been in the Appalachian Mountains this past year and a half for school, and the trees do that here, too. Hiking is great, even in the winter. Although, I haven't gone for a while, but felt great when I was hiking outside multiple times per week. Need to start again!

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need to get into the habit of being active again, but I normally go hiking or do dance workout videos. For hiking, it can be a great leg and hip workout since there are lots of elevation changes. There are trails on campus that go up and down a small mountain, and the blueridge parkway has many trails going up and around mountains.

For dance workouts, I really like the channel posted under this! Lots of great energy, many great songs, and I really enjoy this style of dancing! I'm pretty picky and LOVE to dance, so you'd think it would be easier to enjoy dance workouts, but so happy I found one I like!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
What are some mild exercises that I could do for butt and hip area? Just want to tighten up that area a bit and I can't diet anymore. Right now I'm just doing my one hour walk, but that doesn't do much.
Steps are great for that area. Walking up and down stairs or even stepping on and off a lower exercise step.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
What are some mild exercises that I could do for butt and hip area?
How about some yoga? It's great for strength and flexibility and so so good for your state of mind.
This is a nice routine you could do after your walk.

I've been in the Appalachian Mountains this past year and a half for school, and the trees do that here, too.
I'd love to go there! I've just finished reading "Wild" a true story about a woman who hiked the PCT. It's inspired me to do some longer walks.

I've been doing a lot of walking and hiking recently. I want to do some more of the pilgrim's trail hikes this winter and next spring. I'm hoping to do a longer hike next Friday.

:hyper:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the exercise ideas guys. And thanks for not saying "ask your doctor." They aren't very helpful with ideas on natural stuff. They just said "exercise as tolerated" and "don't skip any meals." Other than that, I'm on my own.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Other than that, I'm on my own.
Yeah, doctors aren't that helpful sometimes, are they? I've found that the best way to firm up the muscles at the top of your thighs/just below your butt are to do balance postures. You have to firm up the whole back of your leg to hold yourself in a balance, but as you fall out of a pose if you're not strong enough to hold it there is less risk of over-exerting and damaging a muscle. You know how you can keep pushing yourself to do one more stomach crunch or push-up and end up hurting yourself? Less risk of that with balance poses.

This is a nice routine.It has balances poses and stretches for your hips and legs.

I went for my walk a bit later than usual today and saw a boar! I was walking along the track and I sneezed and this black shape charged out of the woods and galloped away.

:jawdrop:

People tell me boar are dangerous, but every time I've seen one they run away as fast at they can. And they're scared of sneezes, apparently.

I also saw about a dozen deer and something moving too fast for me to get a proper look at, a fox maybe? That's what happens when I go for walks just before dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.