The 2019 Exercise Motivation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. I never seemed to lose any weight with the extreme exercising & extreme dieting. Plus it almost killed me.
Too many people think starting exercise is like the people on the biggest loser, crying and puking from exercise. You need instead to start slow and easy, don’t do anything too hard or that makes you too sore. The important thing is that you find a way to add some form of exercise into your daily/weekly routine and you stick with it.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need instead to start slow and easy, don’t do anything too hard or that makes you too sore.
Yeah, I was working out 8 hours per day. 4 hours per day on the treadmill and 4 hours with the free weights. No food, only water. I was only going to do it for 4 weeks, but I didn't make it past 3 weeks. My stomach snapped & I ended up in the hospital. It was pretty ridiculous in hind sight.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's been about 10/11 months since I started consistently exercising. I've had a few interruptions; like the last month of school and when my mom was needing me to take her to therapy all the time. But this is the longest I've ever gone and the most I've enjoyed it. It was REALLY nice to be able to kayak with DH and the kids this summer. Last year I was too afraid I'd sink the boat. :paperbag: Gardening was easier this year too. The weight loss is just a bonus. NOT focusing on that has been more helpful than I would have thought. I don't feel bound to a diet...or to junk/sweets.

Slow and steady wins the race right? I started at 15 minutes on level 1 resistance aiming to get to 3 miles. Now I'm at level 2 resistance but getting those 3 miles done in 24-26 minutes. Trying to increase the resistance hasn't gone as expected; so I'm sticking with consistency for now. "Just keep swimming." :fish:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wish I could learn to like exercise, but I really just don't like it. At least not the boring work out kind. I was on a roll last year with walking, but that fell to the wayside when I had my sore back, and I never really got back to it. And now my excuse is "it's too cold". :sigh:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
The weight loss is just a bonus. NOT focusing on that has been more helpful than I would have thought.
:yeah:

I only ever exercise for fun. Or to find an AWOL cat. Things like horse riding and hiking are really enjoyable and yoga makes me feel so good. It's easy to stay motivated if you're doing something you love.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's easy to stay motivated if you're doing something you love.
So true. I can stay outside gardening for hours. But, unfortunately, gardening season is over now for another year. :( But, I guess, shoveling season will be here soon. 🌨

Yeah, I was working out 8 hours per day. 4 hours per day on the treadmill and 4 hours with the free weights. No food, only water. I was only going to do it for 4 weeks, but I didn't make it past 3 weeks. My stomach snapped & I ended up in the hospital. It was pretty ridiculous in hind sight.
It was pretty ridiculous, hon. :hugs: And, honestly, I've no idea how you did it for more than a day. Thankfully, your body was able to heal, and you're still here for your family, and Maggie and Demi. And us. And, who knows, maybe you sharing your experience will save someone else reading this from taking their own diet/exercise plan too far.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can read while I'm on the elliptical. That's one thing that helps me. I get distracted from the exercise part of it. Plus I can do that in a climate controlled environment. My bowflex is in the garage and there was no way I could do that out there during the heat of summer.

One thing I noticed this year was that if I don't eat properly; exercising is way harder. I did a 24 hour fast once and I was ok that day; but the next day I didn't have it in me like normal. I realized it's a good and necessary thing to allow myself regular healthy meals. Having my body make adjustments didn't have to be total suffering like I've seen some friends do. Of course they are examples of why that didn't really work for long term change too.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lost another 3 pounds, just from walking and doing housework. It's so weird, because I'm eating more food than I've ever eaten before. I'm eating breakfast for the first time in like 25 years. I don't binge anymore though. That could be part of the reason that I never could lose weight.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've read that when you don't eat enough, your body goes into starvation mode, and hangs onto every calorie you eat, as it's afraid it won't get fed again for a while. I've also read that people who regularly eat breakfast have better weight control than people who don't. (disclaimer: I eat breakfast everyday, so I'm pro-breakfast advocate ;))

Of course everyone's body is different, and what works for one person, may not work for another. But M maggiedemi , it seems you've found something that works for you, so that's wonderful. :clap2: Just make sure you're not losing weight too quickly. :hugs:

It's sunny here, though not exactly warm, but I think I'm going to try to motivate myself to go for a walk. :walk:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just make sure you're not losing weight too quickly.
I would have to lose 21 more pounds to even be slightly underweight for my height. I've never been underweight in my life, probably because I'm so tall.

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't lose a single pound this week. Maybe because I was snowed in and I had to eat canned fruit for breakfast. There seems to be quite a bit of sugar in that. I'm still taking my one hour walk per day around the house. What do you guys eat for breakfast? I'm thinking of maybe trying my protein drinks again. This is the first time I ate breakfast in over 20 years!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm boring when it comes to breakfast, and pretty much have the same thing every day. A cup of Shreddies with vanilla soymilk, a banana and a small glass of orange juice with added calcium and vitamin D. If berries are in season, or on sale, I'll put a handful on top of the cereal.

About canned fruit, check the label, as some are in "heavy syrup", others "lite syrup", and some with "no added sugar". The type of syrup will affect the calories.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The BMI chart is weird. It says anywhere from 125 pounds to 168 pounds is healthy for my height. You'd think it would be more exact.

I never heard of BMI until my doctor told me mine. She said it was healthy/normal. :)

I'm still doing my hour walk around the house. My friend told me that I should carry some household items around in each hand, like weights, as I walk. But I'm not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.