The 2019 Exercise Motivation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm glad this thread is going again. For a while it was turning into Norachan's obsessive compulsive exercise disorder thread, so I stopped posting.

:lol:

August was so hot and humid! I'd do yoga every day and try and get a walk in every afternoon. The weather has been messed up this year, as it is in most places, so I got caught in a lot of thunder storms and once narrowly missed a hail storm.

No horse riding since July, partly because of the weather. I've got a ride booked next week though.

I'm back to 90 minute walks at least three times a week now, plus my daily dose of yoga. I've learnt some new arm balances too.

:hyper::hyper::hyper:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My family and I went on a hike this week. My working out made the cardio aspect SO MUCH easier. But we live in a flat area in a ranch style house... This hike was up a mountain. And it rained. My quads are still angry. Lets just say any movements that resemble sitting or standing have NOT been graceful. Especially the sitting. :paperbag:

But the hike was beautiful before and during the rain. We didn't enjoy the top quite like I hoped and we did a lot of walking off trail to avoid wet rocks. We finished the hike with no mishaps (thank you Lord!) and enjoyed hot showers as soon as we got back. :lol:

I'd been planning this hike for a while; so I could be disappointed that it didn't quite go like I had hoped. But it really showed me the results of my exercising and that makes me incredibly happy. We also saw two little salamanders and they were ADORABLE!! :loveeyes: So that was fun! :lol2:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
My quads are still angry.
:spew:But it's for their own good! They'll thank you for this one day.

I did a 90 minute walk on Wednesday and Friday, an hour of yoga every day so far this week and a lot of cleaning and yard work on Thursday. It's still quite warm here, warm enough to walk in t-shirt and cotton pants.

I get a few days off next week so I'm planning a lot of yard work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm setting a goal for myself to start going for walks again starting Oct 1. That should give me a couple months before I start my winter hibernation. :walk:

This isn't actually an exercise question, well maybe it is, but have any of you ever used any of those hand grippers?
upload_2019-9-28_16-33-13.jpeg

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
This isn't actually an exercise question, well maybe it is, but have any of you ever used any of those hand grippers?
Mr Husband uses those to toughen up his mountain climbing hands. He has all kinds of weird torture devices to improve his grip and reduce his hands to blunt, calloused tools.

;)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I seem to recall they're kind of hard to use...The tension in them is quite high and it takes some strength to close the handles

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mr Husband uses those to toughen up his mountain climbing hands. He has all kinds of weird torture devices to improve his grip and reduce his hands to blunt, calloused tools.

;)
My stepdad had those at one point. We have no idea why someone who works with their hands all day needs to exercise them further. :dunno:
I seem to recall they're kind of hard to use...The tension in them is quite high and it takes some strength to close the handles
Thanks for all your comments! I sometimes have trouble opening jars, and wondered if something like that would help. Must Google some more ...

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a couple tennis balls I bought for Ruby to play with, so I must see if she'll let me borrow one. :catman:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Yes that handle squeeze thingy helps build strength in hands or help with range of motion. A squeeze ball would be easier on arthritic hands than those grippers-but try different ones, you will know which ones are helping. You don't want to overwork the ligaments and tendons. My right hand has much less strength than my left hand-I have tendonitis in right elbow so those things usually bring back pain-but I do finger stretches and try to keep range of motion going-that's the hardest thing when one has issues with pain-they say to keep moving-but when one has pain-it's really hard. Hot showers in the morning are my thing to release the painful tendons. Ice packs on elbow when it gets really bad.

Which is why I ride a bike-I could ride with one hand on the handle bars on high pain days..It's an old work injury because I am a stubborn mule and pushed myself grinding parts and didn't listen to my body. Just always been told, plow through the pain...so try to take it slow with those gripper thingies.. try just 5 reps every 48 hours=to see if you get discomfort then build up 2 or three reps every other day...slow and steady wins the race.

Bike Ride yesterday at lunch-today is break day-haven't been sleeping well-really tired today...want my bed.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found a tennis ball in the garage today and tried to give it a squeeze. It didn't do much and I don't remember if it really did much when I was using one after those stitches. When I was looking at rollers for my feet I tried a few things before finding what I liked.

I decided to get out to the garage with the bowflex today. My arms...they ache. :lol2: DS decided to unhook all the cables at some point so I had to figure that out. I didn't get to finish my leg exercises because I couldnt' get the seat for that hooked up right. But otherwise it went well. Except when I tried to add one arm exercise and I couldn't even move it. :flail:

I increased my resistance on the elliptical too. That went ok. I slowed down a little early but I still got a full 30 minutes and just a tad shy of my 3 miles.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
so try to take it slow with those gripper thingies.. try just 5 reps every 48 hours=to see if you get discomfort then build up 2 or three reps every other day...slow and steady wins the race.
They come in different weight ranges. Any idea what would be a good one to start with?

BTW, foxxycat foxxycat , though I love your new avatar pic, as a visual person, I no longer "recognize" you when you post ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.