The 2018 Exercise Motivation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
We have been amiss in posting here; this was 3 pages back in.
I know! I feel really bad about slacking off at the end of the year. I have to go back to hospital on the 27th, hopefully they're going to tell me it's all better now and I can start walking again.

It feels a lot better, it's at that itchy stage now.

I've been doing yoga every day, so at least my arms and my core are still strong.

No snow yet either! How about your area, are you able to walk outside?

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I hope you get the all clear to walk again soon Norachan Norachan !

I had to go back to the clinic and they swapped out my inserts for something else. I was finally getting used to them and the ones they gave me stink even more. They are hard as a rock and cut into inner part edge of foot. I told them just cut the bubble out and they would work. I think they did this because of very little room inside my boot. I'm gonna take a ride to the local trading post that sells sporting goods and try some thinner socks. Normally I dont have good luck with thin socks...i sweat like crazy and the thicker socks give me more cushion but the opening is often too tight. I dislike rolling them down as it just takes up too much room where my boots come up. I wear hiker style shoes for ankle support. Did I tell ya I'm clumsy?

Well they are not available this week and I even asked to switch them out until the next appointment but they were not receptive. So for now the inserts are in my work bag and I refuse to use them. Someone else said to find some thin inserts to put over them but I can't find any without the ankle part carved out...maybe i can find some kind of spongy material that I can cut out and place on top...or just leave em for Jan 4th when I go back.

I've not done much exercising either. I was getting 60 mins of casual walking around in the shop daily with the other insoles even though they hurt. My knee is starting to hurt from sitting around too much. I'm gonna get a set of peddlers to put under ny desk at work and use that 5 minutes at a time..it's been too icy or cold to go bike riding either. I did go out one day on a weekend we had 55 degree weather...but now it's back to very cold! I hope to do better next year if they stop screwing around with inserts that hurt my feet. I just need an arch support...

I bought a pair of shoes at a thrift shop a while ago and they left their custom made inserts inside. I'm gonna compare those to the so called special made ones for my feet and show these to the person at the clinic...these ones are comfortable and not hard as a rock...or I can just use these ones.

I still don't understand why shoes don't come with arch support anymore like they did in the 1980s... seems many of us wouldn't need to spend money on overpriced services if the shoe manufacturers just stop putting out crappy products with narrow uncomfortable shoes.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
foxxycat foxxycat You are really having problems with inserts. I was hoping they'd be able to help, but it doesn't look that way. I really hope you can get it all straightened out, so you can start walking again.

Norachan Norachan , Good luck with your walking! I hope your toe gets the OK and things start working out for you. I am going to start walking outside again next week. New year, new week; we'll see how to goes. I really have no excuse, other than laziness. My doctor does like the idea of me walking the extra steps every hour and he says it's better than walking outside in the winter.

Monday -
20,384 steps for the day = 10.62 miles
22 Floors
173 Active Minutes

Tuesday - I was glad to get to 10,000 steps on Christmas Day
10,200 steps for the day = 5.31 miles
15 Floors
56 Active Minutes

Wednesday -
23,036 steps for the day = 12.0 miles
40 Floors
157 Active Minutes

I have no idea why it registered 173 Active Minutes on Monday and only 157 Active Minutes on Wednesday. Some days, my Fitbit makes me crazy.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Wish me luck! If I can get about 52,000 steps in by Monday at midnight, I can bring 2019 in with 18,000,000 steps. Well, I can try!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
You're doing really well Winchester Winchester

:rock:

foxxycat foxxycat Sorry to hear you still haven't had any luck with those inserts. Would it be worth getting a pair of shoes made with supports in them?

Good news is my foot is a lot better. It's all the colours of the rainbow, but I've been given the all clear to walk a little bit, as long as I don't over do things.

A couple of months ago I signed up for a volunteer litter picking walk around the lake, so I'm hoping I can do that tomorrow. I won't walk too far, all the way around the lake takes three hours, but if I choose a park close to the meeting point I should be able to walk around a bit and help clean up.

:crossfingers:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A couple of months ago I signed up for a volunteer litter picking walk around the lake, so I'm hoping I can do that tomorrow
This shows how focused I/we are on felines, when I read "litter" my first thought was they're looking for a "litter of kittens?". Next thought was litter for a litter box? Then, finally, I realized you were talking about litter, as in garbage. :(

Hope you don't find much litter, but that your foot is up to walking. :crossfingers:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am checking in on this the last day of the year. Hope to meet you all next year when I will check in earlier. I had spinal fusion surgery twice in 2017, and there is some nerve damage as a result, but I hope to exercise enough to regain my ability to walk without support. I joined a gym with a heated pool and will get in it on Wednesday for the first time. I've been using the NuStep and recumbent bike so far and my legs already feel a little bit stronger.
:celebrate: Happy New Year everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.