The 2018 Exercise Motivation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I dunno, but I wonder if my trainer bumped the weights a bit. For some reason I was back to splitting my reps today... and I swear I ate a good breakfast!

Then I went shopping for running shoes again. Finally settled on the Hokas. They are a slightly heavier shoe, but I felt like I got a better "assist" from them. The Brooks and New Balance had a nice spring to them, but the Hokas seemed to have more cushion in the footstrike... which is what I need in this stage of my development. Maybe sometime down the line I'll need more spring in my run. lol

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Norachan Norachan I used to get a lot of 10-mile step/walks in the course of a day, but that was before I got lazy, I guess.

Friday -

3 miles on the treadmill
3.5 miles walked during lunch
12 of 12 hours with 300+ steps per hour
Push-mowed the front yard to trim around trees and such last night; I don't know how many miles I got in during mowing, but there were a few
26,676 steps for the day - 13.90 miles

My first 25,000+ step day in 2018.
82,127 steps this week (not including today) - 43 miles for the week
That includes everything I did during the week: treadmill, walks, housework, shopping, etc. And I'll take it.
That is more steps than I have done, I think my best months have been around 300 000 steps, but this month is only bit over 31 000 steps as I have been taken hostage by pollen invasion, so it is just indoors for me until some time next month.

I did bike ride yesterday, only 30 minutes, but I'm paying from that today!

Thankfully I have filters at incoming air, so I get bit easier time indoors, however visiting outside is not so great idea for me now.

Indoor bike turbo trainer has also little issue, so I need to send that back, which means I will try to do just weight loss without exercising for next two weeks or so. That is going to be utterly boring, but maybe I get to loose a pound or two.

Weight loss is so slow compared to weight gain.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I bought a new pair of sneakers yesterday. They're Sketchers, and have comfy memory foam, so I'll have no excuse to go for walks now. :walk:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
It's getting pretty hot here in the desert... time to switch to evening walk/runs. Even then, it's gonna get to a point where it stays in the 85-95 range overnight. Then, I'll be up a ... erm... dry creek?

Still, got in a 3.5 mile run/walk, some pilates, and weight training this week.

My running shoes are dead, so I made a couple quick stops at some shoe stores (specializing in athletic shoes).

At the first store, the guy listened to what I was looking for, took a look at my shoe wear pattern, and brought me a couple of options to try. As I ran around the store, he made some helpful comments about my footstrike, but still allowed me to "feel" the shoes.

At the second store, the guy sat me down, measured my foot, wanted to take 20 minutes to "evaluate" my footstrike on a treadmill (which I didn't have time for), then brought me one shoe option. When I asked to try another brand, he essentially told me "this is the only shoe I have for you". Uhmmm... wow.

I have another store to try out, but so far I'm leaning toward the HokaOneOne... from the first store.
I have really good luck with Brooks-I have wide flat feet and none of the regular running shoes fit my fat feet. They have this one sneaker made for bigger feet and they work like a charm. I was leery of online shoe shopping but they have hassle free returns but they are not cheap. So far they last me around 8 to 10 months.

I didn't ride this weekend but 3 hours of gardening and moving around.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I have days like that too furmonster mom furmonster mom Some days I'll feel really strong and then the next day I'll struggle to hold or get into a pose.

:dunno:

Just got to do your best with what you've got, I guess.

Sunday I started of with an hour of yoga, then walked for an hour in the pouring rain, then did another 30 minutes of deep stretching before bed.

Yesterday I did 90 minutes of yoga.

Today I walked for about 30 minutes and tried to do a one hour power yoga class. I felt really weak though, had to keep stopping the video and taking a rest.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Forgot to report that I got a ride in yesterday. The winds were in my favor on ride out-got to end of road and had 3 minutes to spare on way back-I had been trying like hell to do this on my other bike but just couldn't make it-the lighter bike makes it possible to go farther. I think it's 6.3ish miles total. Yesterday was a perfect 62 degrees sunshine too!

Today is forecast for 75. A bit warm for me so I will need to wet my hair before I go to keep me cool.

Oh I found some Brooks sneakers on ebay-I need to buy insoles but there was a pair with very little wear=these you can machine wash on gentle if you want. At this point their site didn't have much in my size 8.5 2E womens with stiff support for arch control so I opted for Ebay. Since my sneakers I am noticing they are fraying on the edges and tread is worn all way off around the toes-I will still wear them in the garden but not for the gym or bike.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Got in a 3.5 mile run/walk with my new Hokas. What a difference a shoe makes! Didn't cut any time off, but my feet were in much better shape afterwards. Like foxxycat foxxycat , I will also be keeping my old Sauconys for casual 'round about shoes (though I usually wear my Tivas for most of the summer).

Going on a late day hike today with hubby and another friend. We'll see how my knees hold up.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good job, guys! Congrats on the new shoes furmonster mom furmonster mom !

Monday -
3.25 miles on the treadmill
3.5 miles walked during lunch
12/12 hours with 300+ steps per hour
23,416 steps for the day - 12.19 miles

foxxycat foxxycat I like Brooks, too. My ortho said to change my shoes out every time I get about 500 miles on them because of intense wear. Sometimes I do, but sometimes I wait til they get about 700 miles or so. Then I buy new, the old ones go to the basement to use in the garden and the old gardening ones get thrown out. I'm well overdue for a new pair of Brooks, too. (I have to be careful because the top of my right foot has a tendon that goes crazy every once in a while; it starts to loosen from the bone and then I end up in a boot for a while. It's from shoes not fitting properly and I tend to walk a lot more than I should when I get into my walking moods.)

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got my ride done in 20 minutes but I was pushing hard because a thunderstorm was coming. I got to the fire station by 12:38 and back at work by 12:48 which is a slower ride because of the darn hills. Going out isn't too bad because the big hill gives me momentum. I was happy to look down and see I was cruising at 23 at times! I love this! I wish I had more steam to go farther! It started to rain at 12:45 so not too bad-it was a light rain but I was beating feet not sticking around-didn't want to get downpoured on.

5 miles in 20 minutes is my BEST time ever!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
80.6 degrees (27C), indoors and outdoors, that is not fun, has been such for several days and I did one outdoor ride, but did dry out really badly. That was 45km ride.

Also because of pollen issues had to use filtering mask, which does not help with the hot.

Some indoor cycling too, but that is really hot too, so not my favorite weather.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did it. I took a TON of breaks and drank all my water-brought extra. Good thing. I made it into Pease tradeport and I was 2 blocks away from our other location but I never been to Pease tradeport so I have no clue where anything is. There's a nice bike path off route 33 to tradeport which is really nice. I left at 12:30pm and came back at 2:15pm.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! everyone's getting some great work in this week.

The hike went well for the most part.
3.4 mi, 2000 ft elev gain (starting at 7000 ft)
My friend had some difficulty as she has blood clots, so we took it a little easier than I might have on my own.
Still, it was a beautiful day out of the city.

That is a spring fed waterfall... you can see some of the spray off the top edge. It's about as much of a fall as we get out here in the Mohave.

Took a couple tries to capture the color in that clear drop of sap... stupid phone camera kept trying to focus on other things. pfffftt!

Best thing was how well my knees held up, even without glucosamine. Only a very slight bit of tension yesterday, but no fluid bubbles, yay!

Was still a bit fatigued for my weight session, so I think I'll be taking an easy day today (if you can call standing in the kitchen all day making cat meals "easy"). :crazy:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great job furmonster mom furmonster mom ! I can relate to the knee thing-it's a pain in the butt!! my knees were hurting near the end yesterday but today no pain but I have been drinking my herb mudd water. I think it helps.. oh I bought some special adapters that screw into the foot pedals to make the pedals stick out more for my knees-what a huge difference!! i get further now than before! One guy at work wants me to try these cages you screw in-says you get more power per stroke...omg that is so awesome!

So these extensions I got off Amazon if anyone rides and is larger size like myself and needs help.

They are standard thread size so should fit most bikes-you will need two wrenches for each size nut type fitting but only took me 2 minutes each side.

Today got to the end of that road-according to google maps 3.2 miles one way= total 6.4 miles in 30 min and I wasn't really pushing myself..the wind wasn't as bad either...

good job everyone! keep up the good work!

jtbo jtbo I ordered another 2 pairs of those shorts you posted-they have some more expensive ones for longer rides-maybe next month will invest in a pair...but the shorts are nice because they have plenty of material to cover my backside unlike other brands that are way too short in the back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That looks like a lovely place to hike furmonster mom furmonster mom My husband is a climber, he would have been crawling up that rock face while I hiked the trail.

:lol:

I did an hour of yoga and then walked for an hour yesterday. I was going to go further but it was so hot and humid I came back. I can't believe how hot it is already.....it's only May......what are the next few months going to be like?

:fear:

I went horse riding today, let me see if I can get this video to upload......

Status
Not open for further replies.