The 2018 Exercise Motivation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
well I found out my tires under in flated-they are now at 65lb. I always did 40. Now it rides like a lightning bolt. Today Took a long ride- 10/11 miles around. The new bike is here to stay. I saw 2 turkeys crossing the road and lots of birds..clouds then sun. Went out yesterday as well- 6 miles then. Taking the bike home this weekend. Sunday gonna get lost on back country roads.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I saw a friend of mine on his shiny new racing bike yesterday and had serious bike envy. Then all last night I was dreaming of riding a pony through the forest. I need to get out and make the most of this lovely weather.

:hyper:

Thursday was an outdoor day. Lots of planting, digging, sawing and hauling wood around. 45 minutes of deep stretch yoga after that.

One hour of power yoga yesterday.

Winchester Winchester Are you still with us? Have you been able to walk much recently?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I have been walking, just haven't logged it in. I manage the treadmill 4 out of five mornings and started walking outside last week for a couple of days (before the weather went crazy and we ended up in the low 90's there around the middle to end of the week. Between the temp and the humidity, it was nasty). In fact, last Tuesday, I ended up with over 11 miles for the day. And every day, I did manage at least 10,000 steps.

I get lazy though. I do well for three or four days and then die on Thursday and Fridays. I don't know what my problem is.

Will do better at logging in every day.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's good! If you're tired at the end of the week then you've obviously done enough on the previous 3 or 4 days. No point forcing yourself to keep going when your body needs to rest.

I've been trying to get some long walks in. I decided that I've been using the garden as an excuse for too long. It's almost all done out there anyway.

90 minutes walk and 45 minutes yoga yesterday. One hour of yoga and an hour walk today.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I haven't been walking very much lately. Nor have I tried doing yoga yet. But I did mow the lawn for the first time yesterday, so I got a bit of walking doing that.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
This was a low intensity month for me. I got myself sucked into a couple of book series and turned into a turtle. Still, I managed to get most of my exercise in, just not as intense: shorter walks and pilates, fewer 5-a-days, and no hikes. My weight training sessions were the saving grace.

So, back on track... got a longer run/walk in on Friday, then weight training yesterday. THEN, a friend called me up to go out for Cinco de Mayo... my phone app says our pup crawl was 5.3 miles, but the soles of my feet say it had to have been at least 20! (I'm sure that has nothing to do with the 2 hrs of dancing that we ended the nigh-- er, morning, with). So, I think I'mma takin' a break today (and drinking lots of water).

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So what I have been doing ... umm... let's see:
I did ride over 160km with bike indoors last week, that is right, without leaving comforts of home.

Then I have been commuting with bike, have been swapping bike tires twice a day, little software tool developing as well as found out that because of some healthcare mistake, they had not done a test that should of been obvious to do at least 20 years ago, which if it would of done, would of given whole lot of opportunities to me, that means because of their mistake I have practically lost last 20 years (or more) in stumbling, nice...

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I managed a quick ride sat afternoon- it was windy sunny all day but when i went out the air was hot and I couldn't take it. There's this huge hill by my house so I decided to try to tackle it. I rode 25% up it then walked until I was 3/4 way up. I was overheating and running out of juice fast..so decided 3/4 is enough-I just wanted to ride down the hill..a friend of mine used to ride it all the time. He got it up to 50 mph so I said heck with it..let's see what happens..top speed 34.5 mph. but I wasn't trying and it wasn't from the very top. Plus he's got a road bike, mine is still heavy compared to his. Can't complain!

I was yelling YAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY down the hill like a kid! :lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2:

20 minutes out- the ride to the hill was very easy as it's downhill which I averaged 22 to 24 mph...only the hill itself was hard then on way back ride back up sloped hill also kicked my rear end. but even though I got a cold from hell or allergies? It was SO Worth it!!!
20180505_165842.jpg

This is where I turned around

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY:lol2:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Awesome foxxycat foxxycat :rock:

Monday -
3 miles on the treadmill
2.5 miles walked during lunch
12 of 12 hours with 300+ steps per hour
18,089 steps for the day - 9.42 miles

Tuesday - hit with the Headache from Hades; there was no way I could walk
10 of 12 hours with 300+ steps per hour
6,420 steps for the day - 3.34 miles

Wednesday - no treadmill or lunch walk, headaches suck little green worms
10 of 12 hours with 300+ steps per hour
7,132 steps for the day - 3.72 miles

Thursday -
I did 3 miles on the treadmill this morning, don't know about a lunch walk as we are to get t-storms and rain. But so far, I do have 10,067 steps for the day and it's 8:00 in the morning, so that's pretty good.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yep everyone I know is fighting these damned allergies Winchester Winchester Headaches, sinus pain. Etc etc etc SUCKS ROCKS agreed!!! I was sick as a dog sun through tues and think the bike ride pushed me over the edge. I had antibiotics from the doctor because the fever wasn't responding and I had issues breathing--but that ride was worth it..i haven't done anything other than stand for hours. I still tire out easily. Today going to do a very short ride just to keep up with the butt callous from the seat. Unless it's pouring rain then tomorrow I will resume...

I still intend on doing that hill again. You know it took more energy walking that hill?? But it was so hot that day that's the only reason why i walked so much. I was overheating. Winchester get better ok?!! And yes headaches suck green worms. :grouphug2::hugs::hugs:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I managed a quick ride sat afternoon- it was windy sunny all day but when i went out the air was hot and I couldn't take it. There's this huge hill by my house so I decided to try to tackle it. I rode 25% up it then walked until I was 3/4 way up. I was overheating and running out of juice fast..so decided 3/4 is enough-I just wanted to ride down the hill..a friend of mine used to ride it all the time. He got it up to 50 mph so I said heck with it..let's see what happens..top speed 34.5 mph. but I wasn't trying and it wasn't from the very top. Plus he's got a road bike, mine is still heavy compared to his. Can't complain!

I was yelling YAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY down the hill like a kid! :lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2:

20 minutes out- the ride to the hill was very easy as it's downhill which I averaged 22 to 24 mph...only the hill itself was hard then on way back ride back up sloped hill also kicked my rear end. but even though I got a cold from hell or allergies? It was SO Worth it!!!
View attachment 230556
This is where I turned around

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY:lol2:
I don't think they would allow that dangerous road here, big trees and rocks right next to it and pavement at edge is really broken, but also that road does look really pretty!

I like to read from your rides, great to see all that passion in you now with new bike :)

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh no they wouldn't let people cut down trees unless they are dead. and this is cleared more than most streets. the towns play games with money to fix roads when they should dig them up, line them with a foot or 2 of stone before pavement on top but most only lay sand underneath which creates frost heaves in the winter-which is why it's cracked and crumbling. the ice under the tar causes so many problems. it's because of poor drainage....

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
It's getting pretty hot here in the desert... time to switch to evening walk/runs. Even then, it's gonna get to a point where it stays in the 85-95 range overnight. Then, I'll be up a ... erm... dry creek?

Still, got in a 3.5 mile run/walk, some pilates, and weight training this week.

My running shoes are dead, so I made a couple quick stops at some shoe stores (specializing in athletic shoes).

At the first store, the guy listened to what I was looking for, took a look at my shoe wear pattern, and brought me a couple of options to try. As I ran around the store, he made some helpful comments about my footstrike, but still allowed me to "feel" the shoes.

At the second store, the guy sat me down, measured my foot, wanted to take 20 minutes to "evaluate" my footstrike on a treadmill (which I didn't have time for), then brought me one shoe option. When I asked to try another brand, he essentially told me "this is the only shoe I have for you". Uhmmm... wow.

I have another store to try out, but so far I'm leaning toward the HokaOneOne... from the first store.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Short walks Monday and Wednesday. Also gardening both afternoons. Rainy today, so kinda lazy. Grass will need to be mowed again tomorrow or Saturday, so there'll be that exercise, plus I've got more plants to transplant, so I'll be doing bending and digging. ;)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
You've all been doing so well!

Great pictures foxxycat foxxycat

I've been doing the Heart Alchemy Yoga series this week.

Heart Alchemy Yoga with Michelle Goldstein

They're quite challenging, I haven't been able to get all the way through a session without having to pause the video and take a few minutes break yet.
The teacher talks a bit too much for my liking, but she gives lots of instructions for correct alignment and breathing, which is helpful. Her students are all yoga teachers themselves, which is why they are so strong.

I walked for 90 minutes on Monday and one hour on Wednesday as well as the yoga.

Nice sunny day today, so I'll try and get out for another long walk.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
foxxycat foxxycat great picture!

Thursday -

3 miles on the treadmill
A GF called, told me she was picking me up, and I was to get shorts and sneakers on. We drove down to the mall and walked. And walked. (It was one t-storm after another yesterday, so no walking outside)
20,122 steps for the day - 10.5 miles And it felt good, especially after being a bed potato for over 2 days.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Wow, that's quite a long way Winchester Winchester :eek3:

I did an hour of yoga, a one hour walk and about two hours of gardening today. Good balance, I think.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Norachan Norachan I used to get a lot of 10-mile step/walks in the course of a day, but that was before I got lazy, I guess.

Friday -

3 miles on the treadmill
3.5 miles walked during lunch
Push-mowed the front yard to trim around trees and such last night; I don't know how many miles I got in during mowing, but there were a few
26,676 steps for the day - 13.90 miles

My first 25,000+ step day in 2018.
82,127 steps this week (not including today) - 43 miles for the week
That includes everything I did during the week: treadmill, walks, housework, shopping, etc. And I'll take it.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I took a day off yesterday. My arms were just too tired and refused to Vinyassa.

:lol:

I just took a slow 30 minute walk instead. It's good to rest sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.