The 2018 Exercise Motivation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
New Thread for the New Year!

:jump:

This is the thread for anyone who plays sport, likes to exercise or just wants to be a bit more active. Share stories and pictures of what you've done and encourage others to be more active too.

It was a gorgeous day today so I went for a long walk this afternoon. I also did almost two hours of yoga practice. I'm working on a pose called Fallen Angel.

I can't get my leg straight up like that yet, but at least I didn't break my neck. That's a good start.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It's really cold here today. I went for a two hour walk and had to really push myself going up some steep bits before I warmed up. I did 90 minutes of yoga too.

Back to work tomorrow so I have to make the most of this free time.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I had a sick cat and a sick husband yesterday, so most of my plans were thwarted. I did go outside and get the layer of snow off the driveway, so I'm considering that exercise. Today I will hit the exercise bike.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Shoveling snow is definitely exercise! It gets your heart rate up and builds upper body strength.

I was kind of busy yesterday, so just 30 minutes of yoga and a frantic 20 minutes crashing through the woods trying to catch an escaped Forest Cat. He's back safe and sound now.

:welcomeback2:

An hour of yoga so far today. I've been doing lots of inversions and arm balances recently, so thought it would be a good day to do some deep twists and stretches.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bit under 1 hour ride to shop, that is all I have done this year, it is rather unmotivating that to get 13kph average speed you have to push all you got, also this constant darkness and no sun is not really helping, I mean there has not been single moment of sunlight during this year!
upload_2018-1-5_12-43-49.png

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Norachan Norachan , for the time being, my doctor would rather see me try to walk every hour (i.e. the FitBit Blaze) rather than trying to do 3 miles on the treadmill in the morning and then another 3 miles outside at lunch. He feels I'm better off with the 12 hours (so-called Active Hours with the FitBit) than only walking twice a day. The Blaze registers at least 250 steps per hour and I'm calling it 300+ steps per hour for this thread, even though I'm getting in at least 500 steps per hour (in addition to walking to the printer or back to the restroom, etc). He feels it's better to walk a bit every hour instead of walking it all during lunch. He started having me do this in earnest when I was having trouble with chest pains and blood pressure meds. The last time I was in, I asked him about walking at lunch and he said he'd rather see me do the 12-hour thing....at least for now. It's about 6,000 steps during the day, added to my treadmill steps in the morning and whatever else I do (shopping, vacuuming, etc,) so I guess it works out.

We are white here, but not much snow has fallen, maybe an inch or so. The worst thing right now is the cold, compounded by the wind. I think our schools have called off today; Rick mentioned it last night, that he saw it on the news. It's too cold for the kids to be out waiting for the buses.

Thursday -

3.75 miles on the treadmill
12/12 hours with 300+ steps per hour
15,061 steps for the day - 7.25 miles

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I visited at supermarket, got one bottle of ketchup from there:
upload_2018-1-5_16-17-0.png

So how it is to ride a bike here? Go to shower, all clothes on, turn shower coldest it will go and point it to your butt, after well soaked, get something from the freezer to sit on. Oh yes, everything is grey and you can't see much because it is dark even during the day, less dark moment lasts only few hours.

It would be much nicer if it would be colder. Anyway, I put new shiny red part on bike which is not so shiny anymore. This is narrow wide oval chainring, so it is not round, it is oval:
upload_2018-1-5_16-12-45.png

upload_2018-1-5_16-13-13.png

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Another hectic week! I've barely had time to keep track of what I've been doing.

Saturday 90 minutes of yoga.
Sunday only had to work in the morning so could go for a long walk and then do about 30 minutes yoga after that.

Monday to Wednesday one hour of yoga every day.
Thursday was my big cleaning day. I spend about 4 hours cleaning and re-organising the house, then did about 30 minutes yoga.

Today was just 45 minutes of yoga and 30 minutes on my bike.

:dizzycat:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Norachan Norachan sorry I have been out of the loop-lots of shoveling snow..shovel roof..i am honestly sick of this :censored:. I love snow but not 12 inches every 2 or 3 days...my back hurts..my leg/hip is acting up but I push on. I didn't go to the gym more than 1 time on my week off from work-I stayed home from the 23rd to Friday dec 29th I think it was- then new year- I went to the gym the day before Christmas lol. I have been bad and gone right home after work-it's been so cold that I don't want a dead truck in pitch black at the gym so I forgo it last week...this week I will try to go at least twice.

I don't know what happened...I just literally don't want to go anywhere or do anything.

Today made myself walk to the Chinese restaurant down the road from work-I ordered some chicken-was going to drive=stepped outside=it was warm. So I got off my duff n walked slow..lol. took me 23 minutes to walk out and back but I had to wait 5 min in the restaurant. It was about 10 min one way. On way out I went brisk..way back my body said no way so went slow.

yeah I miss my bike riding. I hate this cold-I wish it didn't bother me as much as it does-and the darkness-it's too dark to do anything at 4pm. :cold:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another hectic week! I've barely had time to keep track of what I've been doing.

Saturday 90 minutes of yoga.
Sunday only had to work in the morning so could go for a long walk and then do about 30 minutes yoga after that.

Monday to Wednesday one hour of yoga every day.
Thursday was my big cleaning day. I spend about 4 hours cleaning and re-organising the house, then did about 30 minutes yoga.

Today was just 45 minutes of yoga and 30 minutes on my bike.

:dizzycat:
Sounds bit like this...

Land of rising sun:
We fly away to what we don’t aim to
We finalize
Does the sky laugh at us?
Why will we go there?

We hold our believes
We fold with our dreams
The sun rises in the east we stand every day

Where are our souls?
They have
We noticed
We are standing on the land of the rising sun

Nothing is reality
And I see
We were hopes, we must go,we are worth
We don’t want to lose what we have
No regret
We won’t be afraid and we will be back, will be back, must be back

We open our eyes
We got nothing
We leave nothing
Souls are flying up the laughing sky right now

Nothing is reality
And I see we were born nothing but future souls
We can’t still go on
No regret
We won’t be afraid and we will be back
We are standing on the land of the rising sun

It is that girl that does the singing:

foxxycat foxxycat yeah, it is this time of year, but it slowly gets better now, after a month or so day is starting to get longer faster and then it is one more devilish winter behind us again, keep fighting!

Yeasterday I had to do thing, get groceries etc. this part of my activity was going to shop, doing shopping and then coming back, chatting with neighbor and carrying my bike up the stairs, no matter what I try, it seems my HR goes very high now, maybe it is just the winter.
upload_2018-1-12_22-15-40.png

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
jtbo jtbo I feel like I'm living my life to the beat of Charge of The Light Brigade at the moment.

:lol:

I didn't get out for a walk on Saturday, but managed an hour of yoga. Sunday was an hour of yoga and a 90 minute walk.

Monday's yoga was practice for headstands, handstands and other balance postures.
Tuesday's was a lot of sun salutations and some deep stretches.
Today I worked on binds and twists.

foxxycat foxxycat I think everyone feels a bit of a slump at this time of year. We really should be hibernating. I don't envy you that snow at all. I'm so glad we haven't had any here so far this winter.

Winchester Winchester how is the walking going?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't walk at all last week because that headache was really nasty. I got up fed the kids their breakfast and went back to bed. I spent a lot of time in bed last week.

I did hit the treadmill on Monday. Rick brought me into work on Tuesday and this morning because our roads are not in the best of shape. We left the house at 6:00, so no treadmill. But I have been doing the 12/12 hours thing.

Hoping to get back to the treadmill tomorrow morning.

foxxycat foxxycat please be careful!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have had 15F and below temps now, it seems I don't have any proper winter shoes for bicycling right now, so toes are freezing out.

I have been mostly slacking off though, it's already bed time, so maybe tomorrow I can get some riding done, even weight is getting up with this little activity.

Also Polar messed up with update, so M400 is running out of battery in two hours while in standby mode, which is rather annoying.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been a long time since I checked in here (2014?)...

Anyway, in 2016 we went on a cruise, and I had a wake up call when some of the pictures came back....
I realized that I was not really paying attention to my health. Frankly, it seemed like nothing was working for me: I cut out sugar, and a lot of dairy, I was eating mostly fresh food, reading labels, Pilates, Yoga, walking... nothing seemed to make a dent.

Then my dad passed away last year (Jan 24), and I went through some kind of hell dealing with my crazy aunt (who is the executor of dads estate), and I lost about 10 lbs over that summer. Not the ideal way to do so, but there it was.

So, early October, I decided that I needed help, and hired a personal strength trainer (weights).
I researched candidates online, and narrowed it down to a few for interviews. I ended up with a guy who is very well educated in physiology, nutrition, and training psychology. He is fan-friggin-tastic.

With the help of food logging and a regular training schedule, I've lost 16 more lbs and regained some nice muscle tone.
I only go in to weight session twice a week, but I'm also doing other things on my own; pilates, yoga, walk/run, hikes (weather permitting), and some other exercises he's given me for filler. I also learned that I was still eating more sugar and salt than I realized... some of those labels are a little deceptive! So, focusing more on fresh foods (much like I do for the cats). It's been a good thing.

Anyway, today was weights. 4 min warmup on bike, then "combos". Combos are when I do two complimentary exercises back to back with only about 30 seconds rest between. The goal is to do more work in less time.

Status
Not open for further replies.