The 2018 Exercise Motivation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you're holding up through the typhoons over there, Norachan.

I like Vinyassa as well, I haven't really tried many other forms. I went back to my good ol' Rodney Yee after the last few tries with YouTube vids.

It's been hot and humid here in the Mohave, Monsoon season is upon us. It's like running in a 102° sauna, even an hour after the sun's gone down. I think I'll stick to my 5-a-days today.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks furmonster mom furmonster mom It can stop raining here anytime it wants, that's fine with me.

:D

Rodney Yee is a good teacher, I've done a few of his videos. I did a 90 minute flow Monday and Tuesday but I'm really tired today. Just a 45 minute deep stretch class was enough.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm still so tired! This heat and humid is really sapping all my energy.

I did 90 minutes of yoga and a 90 minute walk on Thursday. It was pouring with rain, so I got soaked, but it was actually quite refreshing.

One hour of yoga on Friday and 40 minutes on Saturday.

Today I just did 30 minutes of gentle yoga and then walked for an hour. I didn't go out until after 5 pm, but it's still hot even at that time.

Wish I lived close enough to the beach to go for a swim. How's everyone else doing?

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh, yah... humidity factor sucks the energy right outta ya.

Weight training yesterday. Discovered where my left arm is weak.
Over the last few weeks I've been saying I felt that my left arm was weak with certain exercises, but we couldn't seem to pinpoint it. Yesterday we did... it's right in the shoulder socket. So my trainer gave me a little exercise that I can do at home with my little 5 lb dumbbells. It's such a specific spot, it will take time to strengthen because all the surrounding muscles tend to pitch in to compensate.

I'm feeling the flys today, though... oof!
Whenever I do flys, my trainer always says, "Be careful on the extension, because that's where you are stretching the chest". I've been very good about not saying, "Honestly, that's the last thing that most women want... a stretched chest." :p

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Must be nice to have a trainer to work with you like that furmonster mom furmonster mom I'm stronger and more flexible on my left side.

I hear ya rubysmama rubysmama I break into a sweat just pushing the vacuum around these days.

:sweat:

I did about 45 minutes of yoga yesterday. Today I managed a longer 90 minute flow, but it's hard to keep doing Vinyassas when it's this humid. The deep stretches are easier when it's warm though. I can get all the way down into the splits on my left leg and I'm almost there on my right.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Yes the humidity is a deal breaker for me. I managed to go to a lake 2 times last week. Friday rode for 2 hours but i was taking my time since it was a week since done regular riding due to the heat wave.

Yesterday only made it to the school as it was humid. Today looks to be very humid and big thunder storms moving across my state right now. So not much going on today. I tend to slow down when it's wicked hot and do more when it's cooler.

Need to do some serious weeding...this is when I often give up and let the weeds have their way as it's just too hot!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
How's everyone doing in the heat?

I went for an early morning horse ride last week, but it was still too hot to let the ponies go very fast. I've been doing yoga every day. Lots of Vinyassas to sweat it out, then focusing on a different set of poses in each routine. First shoulder strengtheners, then hip openers, then back-bends, then arm balances and inversions. I'm enjoying the extra flexibility being this warm gives me.

I've had two walks in the past week. Just an hour on Wednesday, when it was too hot and humid to do any more. Today I managed to walk for 90 minutes as it was feeling a little cooler.

@jtbo Winchester Winchester rubysmama rubysmama foxxycat foxxycat furmonster mom furmonster mom are you still with us?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Way too hot and humid to do anything. Trying not to complain, because I hate being cold more than being hot, but this humidity is getting ridiculous.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm here, just got lazy with posting.

Last week I did 1.5 miles on the treadmill every morning. Managed 12 hours every day of 500+ steps per hour. And I got at least 10,000 to 13,000 steps every day, Monday through Friday.

This time, I'm trying to start out slowly on the treadmill to avoid hurting that blasted muscle again. I'm only walking at 3.3 mph and will continue that this week. And will go up to only 1.75 miles in the morning.

I feel like a lazy slug, but it's better than not doing anything. I'd like to start working out again with the dumbbells, but last week, the humidity killed me. Even in the morning, 1.5 miles on the treadmill in the basement and I could almost wring my shirt out. It was strictly from the humidity, which was ridiculous last week.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama I break into a sweat just cleaning the house these days, but I guess we have to enjoy it while we can. It will be winter before you know it.

:cool:

Winchester Winchester that sounds like the best way to do it. Just take it slowly so you don't get another injury.

It's been a bit cooler this weekend. I did 50 minutes of yoga yesterday and two 45 minute sessions today.

Hoping to get out for another walk tomorrow.

:walk:

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm still working the variety plan...
I've actually started doing a few 5's before I get into my Pilates & Yoga. It's made a difference in keeping my heart rate up.
My trainer has me logging my exercises on a blank calendar; each type of exercise gets a different color. July had a lot of reds (cardio). We are working on my running stride and pace, hoping to improve my breathing so I can actually run longer. I've made it to .5 miles on the treadmill before hitting the wall. It may take a bit of time, but my trainer is keeping a positive outlook for that full mile goal.

I'm a little nervous about the first 2 weeks in August. I'll be running around, visiting family in various states, with no gym, and who knows how much space for other exercises. I have a feeling I'll be doing a lot of run/walks.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Good for you furmonster mom furmonster mom I used to love running, but it's hard to find a good route for a run where I live now. There's no flat, whichever way I go involves a lot of steep climbs up and then back down again. It's made harder by the fact that I'm running on dirt tracks with lots of big rocks too.

I was going to go for a walk yesterday but that I realised - disaster - we'd run out of cat treats! My walk turned into a 40 minute bike ride to the shops and back, then 1 hour of yoga.

90 minutes of yoga today. I worked on inversions and backbends.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thanks! I'm trying!

I know about the complaining about the cold; that will be here before we know it.

Monday -
2 miles on the treadmill
12/12 hours with 500+ steps
14,281 steps for the day = 7.44 miles

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
How's everybody doing this week? Norachan Norachan , how's your typhoon?

Tuesday -
  • 2 miles on the treadmill
  • 12/12 hours with 500+ steps per hour
  • I had to take some plans over to the Community Building in the afternoon. It's about 1/4 mile over there (going the longer way), so I walked over and back. I could not see the point of getting into my car and driving that short of a distance.
  • 16,145 steps for the day = 8.41 miles

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Wednesday -

2 miles on the treadmill
12/12 hours with 500+ steps per hour
17,226 steps for the day = 8.97 miles

I have also figured out that the more inefficient I am with housework and such, the more steps I get. For example, last night while putting clean laundry away, I walked my laundry back to the bedroom and put it away. Then I came out and took Rick's laundry back to the bedroom and put that away. Came back out, grabbed my pants and blouses, and took them back to the hang in the closet. Finally, I took the bathroom laundry into the bathroom. When you're counting steps, inefficiency is the key.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
How's everybody doing this week? Norachan Norachan , how's your typhoon?
It was actually quite refreshing. Much cooler over the weekend and the garden is looking better after all that rain.

1 hour of yoga yesterday and today. I also did some sanding and painting today, which is a good way to tone up the arms.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Winchester Winchester I've discovered that inefficiency in folding laundry adds to steps too.

I've also discovered, that my arm movements, while stooping down weeding, seem to count as steps, because the other night my fitbit did the 10,000 step "celebration" while I was weeding.

Maybe it all balances out in the end, if it doesn't count my grocery cart pushing steps, but does count my non-stepping weeding.

Oh well. Never expected it to be totally accurate. And it does sometimes motivate me to walk a bit more, so that's a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.