The 2018 Exercise Motivation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Haven't been getting many walks in, as I've been walking around my backyard doing gardening.

I bought a FitBit so I could keep track of my steps. I've been averaging about 6000 a day. However, it doesn't seem to count steps when you are pushing a shopping cart. So all my walking around the grocery store yesterday didn't get counted. :mad:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Sorry guys didnt tune in last week.

The beach roses are out now. This was taken last week. May 31?
20180531_123532.jpg

I did ride most days at lunch but took Wednesday? Off because honeybee got a tick near her eye so that day only did a 10 min ride around the block.

This weekend did many hours of gardening and am sore. I still have bike in truck incase forecast cooperates tonight. No ride at lunch today due to rain. Instead I drove down the road and dug up some weeds called Sweet rocket. Now need daisies and lupine. There's a ton of it around here but no place to park so I will have to go over on my bike and tie bag to handlebars. I will have to get a picture of the field of daisies by work. Then there's this pond on the ramp that has a ring of blue lupine around it.

Heres the weed I dug up...planting tonight after grocery store real quick

20180604_124547.jpg

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm done for a while. Again. I tried 1-1/2 miles on the treadmill yesterday and, by the end of the day, the pain was bad. I'll be back, but for now I'm done.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Sorry to hear that Winchester Winchester Hope you're feeling better soon.

rubysmama rubysmama you still get all the benefits of walking around the supermarket even if your FitBit didn't record it, so don't worry.

foxxycat foxxycat Are you having trouble with ticks this year too? I'm pulling at least one of the little bleeders off a cat every day at the moment. It's insane! Usually Button is the only one who picks them up and that's because he climbs out of the enclosure and goes off to play in the bamboo. This year they're all getting them. I'm really paranoid about them getting sick because of tick bites.

Our vet says Frontline is the best thing to treat them with, but they get dosed with that every four weeks and it's not working this year.

:bawling:

I walked for 2 hours on Sunday, did 90 minutes of yoga yesterday and 1 hour of yoga today. Is it only Tuesday? This week seems to have been going on much longer than that.

:runaround:

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Re-visited a hike that I did last November (one month after I started weight training). I've since lost 30 lbs, and I could really feel the difference the training has had...

It's 2.62 mi (one way) with a 1,584 ft elevation gain.
Last time it took me 3 hrs in, stopping a lot for breath.
This time it took me 2.75 hrs in, stopping a lot for pictures... lol

So my pace was similar, but the effort was easier. In fact, I ended up adding an extra mile on a side trail, that became quite steep (I'd guess another 500-700 feet elevation).

So, this time I went for 4 hrs in, and it took me 2 hrs out (because downhill). The downhill was definitely still hard on my knees, and they complained a bit on the stairs at home, but they didn't explode to grapefruit size like last time, and there are no fluid bubbles on them.

The challenge today is not to over eat while recovering from the extra calorie burn. Balance.

3000+ yr old tree...

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Norachan Norachan my vet got me to try Bravecto which is really good for ticks but it is very expensive. It works for 8 to 12 weeks but box says 12 weeks of protection. Looks like its cheaper online than the vet. You could try it on the one cat that gets ticks.

Sadly no exercise today. Rained all day. Honeybee got her haircut and then groomer let me dig up daisies and mint so got about 5 minutes of exercise lol. And got to pet her pet pigs Petunia and Harley. They are big pet pigs and like people. They built a lovely enclosure for them with a mud pit. I just love visiting other people's pets ;)

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry forgot to post this past week. Went riding wed thur fri 30 minutes and today decided to do a long loop 15 miles but that huge steep hill was on the route. This time I went out behind the mountain and came up the backside. Still hard but its spread out more. Stopped 2 times and managed the loop in 2 houra 45 minutes but i stopped at a yard sale for books then market basket for gaterade then headed north towards that backside of hill by highway. There are tons of motorcycles out today. Today is start of bike week for Laconia.

As I was buzzing down the huge hill some motorcycles stayed with me to block cars from pushing me off the road..we were cruising at 35 mph. Speed limit is 40 there...I was very grateful to ride in the middle of road away from crumbly edges. Why cant everyone have patience for bikes??!!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Glad to hear you two-wheelers stick together foxxycat foxxycat Bikers are always very considerate of horses too. Cars tend to rush past just inches away from you when you're riding a horse on the road, but bikes always slow down and give you plenty of space.

I didn't get out for any long walks this week because of the monsoon. I've done at least 1 hour, sometimes 90 minutes, of yoga every day.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear you two-wheelers stick together foxxycat foxxycat Bikers are always very considerate of horses too. Cars tend to rush past just inches away from you when you're riding a horse on the road, but bikes always slow down and give you plenty of space.

I didn't get out for any long walks this week because of the monsoon. I've done at least 1 hour, sometimes 90 minutes, of yoga every day.
Theres nothing I hate more than when cars crowd too close to back of a motorcycle. I try whenever possible to keep my truck behind those motorcycles and block cars from getting in between us.

Forgot to post photos..
The top of hill by the field. Often there are turkeys in this field in the early morning.
20180609_141124.jpg

20180609_141057.jpg

I bought rear view mirrors for the bike. I only put one on left side. It really helps but its distracting at same time. They look like a motorcycle rear view mirror large enough to see. It installs very easily. Its visible in the photo...couldnt remember if it was in the photo...hehehe

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm still not back to "formal" walks, but yesterday I went outside to transplant one plants, and 3 hours later I came in, and noticed my Fitbit had recorded 9,000 steps! :walk:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Still no walks for me. The breaks in the monsoon never come at the same time as my work breaks.

90 minutes yoga yesterday and 2 hours yoga this morning. I got on a bit of a roll and forgot the time.

:)

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
For what it's worth, I'm getting in 10,000 steps pretty much every weekday. I'm doing the steps per hour thing and trying for 500 steps per hour, plus any extra I can get from housework and the like. The treadmill really bothers that muscle, but just regular walking around the building at work and at home doesn't seem to be too painful. I know that 10,000 steps isn't what I was getting, but it's also better than no steps. Other than housework and the like on weekends, I'm not pushing for steps.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
10,000 steps a day is my goal too. And it's hard to do. Especially if you have an office job. Or spend most of the day in the house.

Today, however, I was out gardening for hours, and have racked up 15,903 steps, with a several hours left before bedtime. Some of my steps were short, walk around the garden steps, but the Fitbit counted them, so I will too. :D

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
The sun's out today and I don't start work until late this afternoon. I might get a walk in.

:bunnydance:

I have to do a bit of gardening too. Everything is going crazy in all this rain and some of the plants are being covered by others. time to move them further apart.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have to do a bit of gardening too. Everything is going crazy in all this rain and some of the plants are being covered by others. time to move them further apart.
I've moved a bunch of my perennials, but I think they're too close to each other. So probably next year, I'll be moving them again. :rolleyes:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Got the house cleaned, the gardening done, cats fed, 1 hour of yoga and a 90 minute walk done by 5 o'clock.

:yess:

Do you have plenty of room to move things in your garden rubysmama rubysmama ? I have lots of space, but not many good sunny spots.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've got a mix of sun and shade areas. The perennials I will have to move are sun lovers. I probably space them out a bit more. Or thin out ones I don't want any more. Or make a new garden bed. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.